PDA

View Full Version : Honda keys

greecegun
24-09-2003, 10:20 AM
How exactly does this red Honda ket thing work?

I ahve a 1996 Civic and want to geta spare key made up and the owners' manual say something about having to take the newly cut key plus the red key to a Hinda service centre to get it programed,

But the black key I have has no battery in it that I can see. Can't I just get a blank from Mr Minit etc and use that, or do I need a ripoff Honda blank? :?

SLAVE
24-09-2003, 11:04 AM
If it doesnt have a Peugeot style immobiliser chip in it, u can use any blank key

greecegun
24-09-2003, 12:25 PM
It has not buttons/lights on it.

BPA
24-09-2003, 01:40 PM
some honda keys have an immobiliser chip built in to the plastic moulding, which means if u go down to mr mint and get a key cut and try to use that...the car wont start. What you have to do is go down to honda service centre and they'll cut u a new key and programme the chip in the new key.

Cheers'
Sam

greecegun
24-09-2003, 01:50 PM
Hmm - maybe mine is embedded, even though externally it look like a normal key. Bit I suppose that it does have it - why else would the previous owner have an owner's manual wellet with this spedicla red key in a blister pack?

Anyone know how much the Honda service centrs charges for this to be done?

vti-2
24-09-2003, 01:52 PM
The newer Honda keys don't need any buttons or lights on them to have a chip. The keys we have for our EK look normal with the Honda logo engraved and they have a chip installed inside.

Dr4g0n
24-09-2003, 09:08 PM
on a side question, when i bought my car, it only came with a unoriginal key. am i able to get a honda key made up so that i can have my very own special H key? do i have to go to a honda centre to get it done?

vti-2
24-09-2003, 09:14 PM
You have the EG right?

There's not much Honda will do apart from charge you a shit load to get a proper Honda casing. :roll:

A'PEXi
24-09-2003, 09:32 PM
so what exactly does the red key do for ek's? :P

BPA
24-09-2003, 10:00 PM
the red keys have the original immobiliser codes in them.....i think :oops:

vti-2
24-09-2003, 10:27 PM
AFAIK you are meant to get two keys with chips. One will do everything apart from start the car (i.e. open all the doors, click over to accessories) and the other one functions normally (will actually start the car).

Jnr Teggy
24-09-2003, 11:51 PM
all the honda keys are just normal keys!

the only difference is that with the red one you cannot start the car! only open it !

Trust-Me
25-09-2003, 12:53 AM
most major key cutters have a key tester thingy that can determine the chip code, if u have a chip they can cut the keys for u with the chip coded too. i dunt know how much it will cost but i bet its alot cheaper than the dealer..

AP1 F20c
25-09-2003, 10:45 AM
The immobilizer chip embedded into the export Honda keys only relay a "signal" to your ECU to enable your car to start. If your chip is corrupted (very unlikely) or you have a key without a chip and try to start the car, the green key lamp on your dash will blink indicating/light-up.

Honda will sell you blank key for a nominal fee that has the encoded chip, you get the key cut and bring it back to Honda to have the chip programmed to suit your ECU. Only the Honda PGM Tester device can do this, there are NO other device with the ability to over-ride/change/configure or meddle with the Honda immobilizer system. This is highly effective against vehicle theft in most nations with exported Hondas.

sesshoumaru
25-09-2003, 07:03 PM
has anyone enquired about the price of keys??

i really wnat a nicer key for my car... it's just a plain metal one atm... (gen3 crx)...

edit: did a special key come iwth the crx?? liek one that sez crx on it or something?

vti-2
25-09-2003, 08:11 PM
Why don't you just call your local Honda dealer and find out???

:roll:

Trust-Me
26-09-2003, 12:31 AM
With or without the chips, i still hear cars get stolen all the time!!! there is always away theft can get in and drive off...

greecegun
26-09-2003, 05:38 PM
Yeah - I realise that no system is theft proof - just wanted to know how to go about getting a spare key made up.

I will go to my local Hoinda service centre on Saturday - I just hope that the "nominal" charge for a Honda blank is just that :(

greecegun
30-09-2003, 01:49 PM
For everyones' information the "nominal" price for a blank Honda key (suitable for a 96 VTiR Civic) was $90.... :evil:

and $40 to program it :twisted:

vti-2
30-09-2003, 01:59 PM
Pwoar! Not cheap eh?

AP1 F20c
30-09-2003, 02:05 PM
With or without the chips, i still hear cars get stolen all the time!!! there is always away theft can get in and drive off...

Relax ... This isn't about getting cars stolen, jacked. This is about buying a new key and getting it coded. If you haven't already realize, you cannot stop theft, you can only slow them down. :roll:

VTi-RT
03-10-2003, 12:28 AM
When I asked honda for another key for my Civic, they said that I have to go and get my key cut outside, then give it to them with the Master key (the RED one) and they do the rest... even then if I can remember it'll cost around $45-60.00.