PDA

View Full Version : ECU Reset???

TECDUP
21-05-2006, 02:01 AM
This is a real NOOB question so I have come to the right place...Its just a thought i had while i was thinking in the room everyone does their best thinking ;).
Aftermarket ECU's are good because they are programmable to suit each car, and it costs around 300-400 for a tune and dyno and your car will run like it has never run before...NOW, is there any chance that the ECU can be reset, ie. disconection of the battery for a period of time...is there anything that can cause the ECU to reset and lose all of its memory and need to be re-tuned???

SLPJCooL
21-05-2006, 03:05 AM
This is a real NOOB question so I have come to the right place...Its just a thought i had while i was thinking in the room everyone does their best thinking ;).
Aftermarket ECU's are good because they are programmable to suit each car, and it costs around 300-400 for a tune and dyno and your car will run like it has never run before...NOW, is there any chance that the ECU can be reset, ie. disconection of the battery for a period of time...is there anything that can cause the ECU to reset and lose all of its memory and need to be re-tuned???

I know this is a NooB section and I know you are one....
but for the Love of god.........
S...E...R...C...H before you post!!!

TECDUP
21-05-2006, 03:23 AM
i did search and there is nothing that says you can reset your ecu through having the battery disconnected or anything, also it only covers stock ecu not aftermarket...
i guess i should have told you everything at once
i plan to install my system in my boot properly, full on set it up these holidays so my car will be out of action disconected from the battery for probably a couple of days atleast...can this reset my ecu, not being stock would i have to go and have it retuned???

roar
21-05-2006, 03:51 AM
its a valid question...i'm not sure of the answer...

CTR Coupe
21-05-2006, 05:43 AM
Dude please be clearer with the question.

It would have been easier to ask

I have "X" ECU if I disconnect the battery for a few days will it affect the tune?

You still haven’t told us what aftermarket computer you have. At least someone with the same ECU will be able to say
“No I didn’t have any trouble after disconnecting the battery and I have the same ECU”

I would expect most aftermarket ECU would hold their AF Maps in non volatile memory (doesn’t need constant power)
But I don’t run an aftermarket computer or have any experience with them.

nugget666
21-05-2006, 10:38 AM
that is somthing i would never of thought of made me wonder.

TECDUP
21-05-2006, 11:39 AM
i have e-mange but i am looking to upgrade soon to hondata so if you could, could you help me out with both units please...sorry for the confusion it was late when i posted, just wasnt thinking straight

zorrt
21-05-2006, 11:41 AM
If an a eeprom needs to be flashed either via hardware or software doesnt it automatically mean that its non volatile? I dunno curious to know too....

EGB16A
22-05-2006, 02:05 PM
If an a eeprom needs to be flashed either via hardware or software doesnt it automatically mean that its non volatile? I dunno curious to know too....

pretty much, think of it like bios in your computer :)