PDA

View Full Version : Mounting speaker on DC5

tron07
21-05-2006, 12:57 PM
Anyone got any photos of speaker installation on DC5? Prefer 6.5 mids in the door. Anyone modify the door pannels, install baffles or sound deaden the door?

I saw the HU swap/mod photos and thats cool.

matt
21-05-2006, 03:06 PM
i havent changed speakers in my dc5, but just so you know the stock speakers are 6" so you will need to do some minor mods to get 6.5" to fit.

Mattski_VTIR
21-05-2006, 05:48 PM
I have 3 way F1 status splits in my DC5 Type S. 7 inch woofer, 5 inch midrange 3 inch tweeter. I had to get custom fiberglass door panels made up to accommodate the speakers. Many guys have fitted 6.5” drivers with little modification though. I used 2x Dynamat Door kits (1 kit is designed to do two VX commodore doors) That was enough to completely seel the door and woofer enclosure. (heavily recommended) If your interested in some pics let me know…

tron07
21-05-2006, 11:29 PM
OOO.... nice.... Is that the new F#1 scansspeak speakers or the old F#1?

I would love to see some photos, you have your own site, sounddomain or somthing?

Mattski_VTIR
22-05-2006, 11:34 AM
I took a couple of photos this morning, there not the best but will do until i get around to taken some good photos of the entire car/stereo. The speakers are the new F1# Status splits (They are custom scanspeaks built for alpine) I have an amp tray with laser cut glass to house the crossovers etc, but i'm still in the tuning stage so have them accesible in the boot for the time being.

http://img20.imageshack.us/my.php?image=typesf100016on.jpg
http://img69.imageshack.us/my.php?image=typesf100027xe.jpg
http://img69.imageshack.us/my.php?image=typesf100035kt.jpg
http://img148.imageshack.us/my.php?image=typesf100043ye.jpg
http://img20.imageshack.us/my.php?image=typesf100053gg.jpg

tron07
22-05-2006, 09:23 PM
Thanks, the scans are really good speakers....
I am more interested in the inner side of the speakers. The mounts, the pannel, etc....

Dont be offended, but I think your staging is screwed, cause your tweeters are too far back and its off axis. Tonality could be very good, cause placements of the speakers are very near to each other and should not have much phase issues. The tweeters should go to either the dash, A-piller or kicks.

Mattski_VTIR
22-05-2006, 09:58 PM
Thanks, the scans are really good speakers....
I am more interested in the inner side of the speakers. The mounts, the pannel, etc....

Dont be offended, but I think your staging is screwed, cause your tweeters are too far back and its off axis. Tonality could be very good, cause placements of the speakers are very near to each other and should not have much phase issues. The tweeters should go to either the dash, A-piller or kicks.

Cheers, overall I’m very happy with the sound of the speakers. No offence taken at all as I agree with your comments. Unfortunately the size of the tweeter (its rather deep as well) limited the areas it could mounted with minimal modification. The crossover network allows for a configuration very similar to that lay out, although not ideal.. it does well to compensate. Sorry that i couldn't help out more,

tron07
28-05-2006, 02:03 AM
From what I know, the ring revs only work on axis.... anything over 25 degrees off and they fall on their face. However I dont know what sort of tweek the passives can do to the sound, as there are so many combinations you can play with.

If you have the money, time and knowledge, go tri-amping....or just simply remount the tweeters at the A-pillers or kick when you are bored with the sound.

Mattski_VTIR
28-05-2006, 03:15 PM
Thanks for your comments, i went to a Car Audio Australia sound off and had some guys have a look/play. They recommended tilting the tweeter about 3 degrees up which will help lift the sound in the car. I just went and bought another MRD-545 and Tri-Wired the crossovers. Gave me allot more flexibility and with a good tune they are sounding allot more impressive. Being able to tune the tweeter separately has greatly improved the overall sound. Next on the list is the processor so i can run all the drivers active.

tron07
28-05-2006, 09:43 PM
Which processor are you thinking of?? what sort of stuffs u have in your car?
Did you went to the brisbane sound off? I was at the Melbourne sound off around March or early April.

I got 7998 hu, and so far the internal processor is good enough for me.

Mattski_VTIR
29-05-2006, 09:07 AM
At the moment running the 3way F1's in the front running tri-wired to 2xMRD-545 (amps running in 3 channel mode), X type 6.5 inch rear fill (off head unit) and the IVA-D310E. Problem with the IVA's are they don't have 4 volt pre-out unless its coupled with the PXA-H701. I installed the extra amp yesterday and its made a massive difference, just need more bands in my EQ. I went to the Brisbane Sound off. Every competitor is pro SQ was running the IVAD310E coupled with the processor. Seems to give you alot more flexability compared to just the IVA.

Fhrx
29-05-2006, 06:52 PM
I have plenty of photos here of DC5 installs. Send me an email. :)