PDA

View Full Version : pinging when cold

Eclipsor
22-05-2006, 12:41 AM
Over the last couple of weeks I have been getting a rattling type noise when the car is cold and I accelerate. Am I right in thinking this is pinging? It goes away once the car has warmed up.

From what I can gather from reading through other threads if it was pinging all the time I would need to check the timing to see if it is advanced too far. Would this still be the case if it only does it when cold. Is there anything else that I should check in the cold start mechanism? Engine is a h22a and I have always used BP Ultimate.

Thanks for any help

bOoStn
22-05-2006, 09:16 PM
H22a? A prelude?
Pinging sounds like someone has thrown a handfull of bolts into the engine, and they all rattle about. IF you havent played with the timing, then the timing should theoretically be ok. However, the timing should affect the car more when it is hot, rather than cold, so there is a good chance, it is not pinging you're hearing.
The exhaust could potentially rattle when its cold, but I couldnt tell you without hearing it.

Eclipsor
22-05-2006, 10:00 PM
Thanks for the response. Engine is in an accord. I'm not sure what the timing is. I havn't touched it and it has been fine for the last year of my ownership. I have tried checking in the past but couldnt' see the marks on the flywheel. Now it has an aftermarket flywheel and I'm not even sure if it has the marks. (really should have checked while it was out).

I'm pretty sure it isn't exhaust rattle. I want to take it to the mechanic but it's the sort of thing that knowing my luck wouldnt' happen when I take it. Anyway, probably too hard to describe on the net. Thanks

|N|
22-05-2006, 10:04 PM
there isnt enf info .. but my guest could be loose/broken engine mount...

pop the bonnect... and rev it.. see if the engine moves/rattles alot not.....

EuroDude
22-05-2006, 10:33 PM
Maybe it just needs the Tappets adjusted.

Similar prob happened to my Civ

Eclipsor
23-05-2006, 12:45 AM
It isn't an engine mount. only happens when it's cold and I've replaced the front and rear mounts in the last 6 months. tappets were adjusted in january. It's too hard to describe I think. Just if anyone had a very similar thing happen to them. Thanks anyway ppl.

bOoStn
23-05-2006, 07:04 AM

Thats a good idea actually..

Zilli
23-05-2006, 08:54 AM

this sounds about right to me... dont forget it takes time for the oil to get pumped up to your head, so if its onyl fir the first few seconds then dont worry, check you oil level too

bennjamin
23-05-2006, 08:58 AM
this sounds about right to me... dont forget it takes time for the oil to get pumped up to your head, so if its onyl fir the first few seconds then dont worry, check you oil level too

your oil is thinner at cold start thus your tappets will be louder and more noticeable, but the noise should decrease after the car is warmed up.
As mentioned , time for a oil change or valve adjust

Eclipsor
23-05-2006, 11:45 AM
nah I know tappet noise and it isn't this.

bOoStn
23-05-2006, 04:48 PM
Does it happen all the time, or under accelleration or ?

Eclipsor
23-05-2006, 09:59 PM
under accelleration. What controls how much fuel is put in when it is doing the cold start routine? Is it just reading from the ecu maps? I'm filling up the petrol tomorrow so I'll see how it goes. I'll post if it keeps doing it. Because it didn't seem to do it this morning or yesterday. Thanks a heap guys.

bOoStn
23-05-2006, 10:11 PM
When its cold, the ECU should be running of a preset fuel map. When its hot, it will use the oxygen sensor, and adjust the fuel trim to suit.
Is your car an import or has it had a motor swap or something? I could swear that a H22 engine is from a prelude..

Eclipsor
24-05-2006, 11:14 AM
When its cold, the ECU should be running of a preset fuel map. When its hot, it will use the oxygen sensor, and adjust the fuel trim to suit.
Is your car an import or has it had a motor swap or something? I could swear that a H22 engine is from a prelude..

hehe both. Car is an import and it has had the conversion.

hotrat
24-05-2006, 11:47 AM
I have a crx that does the exact same thing, goes away when its warmed up, used to bother me but its done it for so long i am used to it, you may notice some brands of oil make it better or worse, like mine is worse with castrol, may try and change oils and see what happens.