PDA

View Full Version : Boosting 95 HONDA CIVIC VTI

MR-VTEC
30-04-2004, 06:56 PM
hey all just wondering what any of you would recommend for increasing the performance of my car? i currently have the D16Y vtec engine with no mods. i'm thinking either transplant a B16A or B18C or just turboing my current engine. i have between six to seven grand to play with so what would be your recommendations based on my budget? also how much do you reckon it would be to just turbo my current engine? If you could also include prices with any of your suggestions where possible that would be great

wynode
30-04-2004, 07:00 PM
http://www.ozhonda.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4701&highlight=

Do a search mate and check out the link in the first post of the above thread.

2MPRSS
30-04-2004, 07:08 PM
are u MRVTEC??im guessing ur not coz i heard the real MRVTEC already has a b16a not the d16y

geo41e
30-04-2004, 07:57 PM
lock this thread lols!#R@$^%@!

MR-VTEC
30-04-2004, 08:12 PM
yeah thanx. but i'm having trouble getting to the other link. and no im not mr vtec as doesn't mr vtec own a crx

wynode
30-04-2004, 08:46 PM
You need to register to look at the info in the overclockers thread.

Worth it though (its free).

2MPRSS
01-05-2004, 09:13 PM
mr vtec owns a eg vti with a b16a

Breeze
02-05-2004, 08:38 AM
Go the transplant, prob B16A but both within your budget and you can pic up a couple of extras. With a transplant you replace all wear items so you get a drivetrain in great condition with minimal maintenance required. You will also pick up bigger front brakes (10.4inch rotors). The vti requires less labour than a carb car swap and does not require a new fuel tank etc. Still recommend a front cut or complete engine package and then sell of the bits you don't need.

Turbo on a 95 will be fraught with difficulties. The motor has seen a bit of life so it would be good to at least refresh it, then if you are going to do that you may as well fit better internals. A lot of people will say I turboed my x y and z and now I smoke type Rs. But at what cost? Reliability is going to be a significant downfall. Unless you do it properly or are prepared to throw money at the car over the long term go the swap to give you factory type reliability.

B16A powered EGs are pretty quick on the street, reliable, great fuel economy and very well balanced little packages. Ask anyone here who now has a swap if they would have prefered to turbo the stock motor in retrospect. I doubt there would be too many that say yes.

Good luck whichever way you go. It should be even more fun and the EG vti is a great base.

Weq
02-05-2004, 01:11 PM
How does an import motor with unknown history, have a better chance of performing then his current one? Have u ever cracked open an import motor? If u were to do a swap, u should atleast freshen up the basics while the motor is out of the car. Thats atleast a headgasket kit with new studs. nce u open the head up u can usually see if any more needs to be done at the time..

whatever way you choose to go, learn the pro's and con's of each option and weigh up whats right for u.

MR-VTEC
02-05-2004, 02:45 PM
cool thanx guys that helps heaps and i'll take both of your suggestions into account. and sorry to 2MPRSS but i'm from brissy way so we might have our MRVTEC's confused anyways cheers all.

MR-VTEC
02-05-2004, 02:48 PM
oh yeah so is the b18c totally ruled out you reckon? is that cause of my budget or cause it would be easier to just fit the B16A. what do ya reckon the b18c conversion would cost to do?

Weq
02-05-2004, 03:32 PM
b18c's cost a little more then b16's. they would be both around the same difficultly to do though

MR-VTEC
02-05-2004, 03:48 PM
so how much would you reckon for a b18c drive in drive away?

Breeze
02-05-2004, 05:11 PM
Only reason I suggest B16A over B18C is that the B16A conversion is one wire easier (doesn't have dual length intake manifold).

Also the B18C (aus spec) has about the same output as the japanese B16A. Insurance is usually less and most states don't require an engineers cert as the motor came out in that chassis. B18C are p[retty hard to find as well.

Weq, I have cracked open plenty of B16As and I gotta say they are one of the toughest motors I know. They wear exceptionally well. However I don't see the need to crack open a guaranteed import motor when you get compression test results of around 220psi per cylinder with about a 2% variation between cylinders. Sure the low km speedos on imports may have been tampered with or swapped and sure the service life may be questionable but these are very tough motors nevertheless.

The cost of aftermarket management and full legalities of the turbo swap add to the substantial cost involved in just getting the mechanical side sorted.

I had a turboed ZC in an EG civic, fast car no doubt but much harder to live with than a converted DOHC vtec car. Stock internals and it was great. Limited to 250hp as it is my belief that the stock rods on a ZC D16 don't like much more than that.

Each to their own, your car sounds very quick and I congratulate you on producing such a package. These are obviously just my thoughts. Don't get me wrong, i LOVE turbos. But I also love the NA characteristics of a honda vtec car. Some (many) don't.

MRVTEC
21-04-2005, 10:40 PM
i now own a red crx might get some internal done to the engine or just sell it and get a type r integra

**Ghost**
21-04-2005, 10:51 PM
b16A vs turbo D series... if i had the the choice for the same money... turbo D

Lukezen27
22-04-2005, 06:37 PM
Read this :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

http://www.maxrev.de/ftopic1446.htm

turbo D series all the by baby