PDA

View Full Version : Burning in Sub

JaCe
22-05-2006, 07:51 AM
Just wondering if you have to burn-in/run-in a subwoofer...

I remember I had to burn-in my headphones and speakers in the past; so was wondering if this applies to subwoofers too.

ICACHA
22-05-2006, 08:21 PM
depends on how much juice is flowing once the knob is cranked as to whether the speakers need running in or not :)

depends on the speakers i.e. suspension. some do and some dont, either way its like your engine in your car, you dont go driving like Peter Brock *wait thats Holden talk :p* with a new car, then again good engines should have been run in a little from factory or you could be driving away in a lemon, same principal with speakers, you dont buy something straight of the production line that isnt tested by the manufacturers do you? if you are then the product isnt to spec and the manufacturer will get into trouble about that...

aaronng
22-05-2006, 09:05 PM
I think burning in is more for clarity and high frequency sounds. So while I would burn in speakers, I wouldn't bother with a sub.

ICACHA
23-05-2006, 12:39 AM
why is that? dont you stretch before you work out? :p

aaronng
23-05-2006, 12:56 AM
LOL, your subs won't ache (explode) if you don't burn them in. It's more like doing regular exercise before the big game. :)

Since sub frequencies just need to be clean unless you are doing a car hi-fi system, I wouldn't risk running the sub at loud volumes for long periods of time and risking the neighbours reporting my car to the EPA for excessive stereo noise.

integraz
23-05-2006, 08:36 AM
um yes u need to run in a sub, because it will flex/loosen the suspension and make it louder etc etc...

But is not like a car where u just baby with it under 4000rpm , or etc.

All u need to do, is just play it like normal.. and itll be run in, so gradually over time it will sound louder, don't need to put it at full volume to make it run in faster...

DC5TYPER
23-05-2006, 06:37 PM
I've had MTX and JBL subs Running for a 1.5 Days before they are settled in. They sound louder and more accurate. Probably was around 8+ Hours of music at half volume, Mostly continous playback through the subs. There is a very noticable difference after a Run-In.

JaCe
23-05-2006, 06:44 PM
I thought putting it at full volume = bad anyway?

Like, my sub is pretty good, but it feels a bit.. 'sudden' sometimes when the sound plays? Hard to describe but I think it'll loosen a bit over time and become more normal.

mrwillz
23-05-2006, 08:53 PM
some audiophiles claim it sounds 'better' after its phased in/run in

ICACHA
23-05-2006, 09:19 PM
does your car run smoother once the engine is at optimal temp?

JaCe
23-05-2006, 11:11 PM
Is that a real question or a "thinker" (ie. something we should think about but not actually answer- like a rhetorical q!)...?

... or is that in the wrong thread?

integraz
24-05-2006, 08:08 AM
lol, well don't worry about running in a sub tooo much, because if u play it, u are actually running in the sub at the same time, thats all.
And it will just get louder, because the suspension is still new, and so it gotta loosen over time.

SO if you DONT turn on your sub, or u left it in its box for a few years and then taken it out, and put it in the day before an SPL or something, it won't be loud as a SUB which has been used.

So cliff notes: a sub will run in by itself over time when music is played on it.

mj3610
24-05-2006, 12:34 PM
I've had MTX and JBL subs Running for a 1.5 Days before they are settled in. They sound louder and more accurate.
technically yes...
but my commonsense tells me ur ears wouldnt be able to tell the difference :) its just for the sake of it.

JaCe
24-05-2006, 03:10 PM
SPL? *not sure of terminology*

I think my sub feels a bit louder than when I first got it. But that could just be because I turned the EQ up.

NightKids
24-05-2006, 06:30 PM
You definately need to run in the sub. As far as burning in the sub, plz don't do that your gonna kill it! And just a tip with burning as well, if you run a copied version it'll kill your treble, it's happened to my dad's speakers

integraz
24-05-2006, 06:55 PM
well yes i understand that you do have to "run it in" but all you need to do is put music through the sub, and you are "running it in"
Like you don't have to sit down with the sub, and then just shuve in 40hz of sine waves for 1 min everyday.
So basically just play your sub normally, as you would, and therfore that is "running in the sub" and it will go louder, but if you listen to it everyday, u might not notice.
If u tell your friend to listen, and then maybe 2-3 days later put them back in, they'll notice a difference.

Um SPL = Sound Pressure Level
And i forgot to add in my previous post, "SPL Competition"
It's how much pressure is create in 1 metre from the sub. ( i think.. unless someone can correct me more accurately)

And remember not to turn on the "loud button" Or put your equaliser for the low frequency no more than 0 dB, or u have the chance of clipping your amp.
= not good for sub.

NightKids
24-05-2006, 07:00 PM
That's wonderfully put integraz, good stuff mate.
I agree it's hard to tell the difference when you listen to it everyday..

JaCe
25-05-2006, 10:53 PM
Haha i actually thought running/burning in the sub was just playing normal music through it anyway! didn't know ppl used sine waves or something to do that~

NightKids
25-05-2006, 11:23 PM
Yeah well in home audio terms burning in means running a CD that hits all the possible frequencies through the speakers. Euthusiasts swear they sound better after burning it for like over an hr.

JaCe
25-05-2006, 11:34 PM
Hmm... I know that speakers/headphones definitely sound better after a bit of use; but I wouldn't really be able to put a definite reason as to why or method of achieving this.

integraz
26-05-2006, 08:44 AM
Because when its manufactured, its still stiff (suspension), its like most new things, for example
"hinges- hard at first to open, but when u repeatedly open, gets easier to open"

Or another example

Shoes- when you buy them they are stiff and etc, but when u gradually "wear them in" they are easier to get into, more felxible, etcetc?

So thereforea speaker which has never been used ever, (new), has new components, so when u put power through it, it starts moving etc, then gradually you wear it in, moving in and out, and so it gets more flexible and hits harder than a super stiff suspension (when new).

Slow96GSR
26-05-2006, 09:16 AM
But PLEASE don't do this if you have no knowledge of electricity!Here is an interesting thing we do here... The wall outlet for your standard plug is 120v-5-25 amps at 60hz= 600-3000 watts at 60hz. Yes you can, here in the U.S. hook your sub up to a wall outlet and burn her in! Hell on smaller amp outlets we have hooked up mid/high speakers to the wall! Please if you are going to do this use a power/surge strip, relay and momentary switch. I don't want you electrocuting yourselves! Also try at your own risk. While it is fun to see have a pro that knows electricity do this. If I had a camcorder I would video this but I am poor! But PLEASE don't do this if you have no knowledge of electricity!

JaCe
26-05-2006, 09:19 AM
Here is an interesting thing we do here... The wall outlet for your standard plug is 120v-5-25 amps at 60hz= 600-3000 watts at 60hz. Yes you can, here in the U.S. hook your sub up to a wall outlet and burn her in! Hell on smaller amp outlets we have hooked up mid/high speakers to the wall! Please if you are going to do this use a power/surge strip, relay and momentary switch. I don't want you electrocuting yourselves! Also try at your own risk. While it is fun to see have a pro that knows electricity do this. If I had a camcorder I would video this but I am poor!

Is it just me or does that scream the word dangerous to n00bs like myself? I can't even imagine how one would connect it to the power point- unless you mean you take the two wires and stick them into the positive/negative terminals in the wall socket... Reminds me back in high school when someone stuck a chocolate bar wrapper and connected the pos/neg terminals on the wall socket- and shorted out the school's electricity.

Slow96GSR
26-05-2006, 09:49 AM
That's why I said take it to a pro... but if you want details on how to properly do it in a safe way you can pm me and I will be happy to provide you the details. But PLEASE don't do this if you have no knowledge of electricity!

mooseboy
26-05-2006, 02:51 PM
Been there and done that- Try 240volts, Thats getting Serious....Not this measly 120volts the Yankees Use... ha ha

Although we have hooked up $29 Subs From Supercheap and they have handled the power for quite a length of time Before They Blew...

funkdr
26-05-2006, 05:13 PM
I work in the audio industry and use a bit of JBL gear they run their bass drivers for 100 hours before they sell them.

funkdr
26-05-2006, 05:15 PM
Been there and done that- Try 240volts, Thats getting Serious....Not this measly 120volts the Yankees Use... ha ha

Although we have hooked up $29 Subs From Supercheap and they have handled the power for quite a length of time Before They Blew...
Their is an MTX vid some where on the net they put one of their subs up against the other brands with 5000watts up its ar$e and a tone burning voice coil oh yeah.

Slow96GSR
27-05-2006, 07:18 AM
Wait until you see Audiobahns 34" (Actually 36") going. I have a video but it's really bad quality. That sub is rated 5kwatts per coil rms. That sub would handle your 240 and my welding plugs 440v all day long!