PDA

View Full Version : removing door panel

-MuGen PoWer-
30-04-2004, 07:11 PM
im a noob at this but do u guyz know how to take the panel off the door? because i wana change the trim of the fabric. Has any1 actualli done this by themselves?? i heard it wasnt hard
the old greyish material looks UGLI !!

its for a civic EG sedan

2MPRSS
30-04-2004, 07:14 PM
i recon it looks alright

luzinit
30-04-2004, 08:46 PM
yeh i know how mike!!
this is how... theres 2 screws, one located on the side pocket thing.. where u rest ur arm.. and also one where the handle is

now unscrew both, and u can slide them bits off..

then pop the speaker panel! unscrew all those screws n take off the speaker, n then pull slowly from the bottom and work ur way around the edges till it all pops off :P

if u need more help just ask ;p

wynode
30-04-2004, 08:49 PM
Actually there is one more.

Like Tony said, there is one behind the door handle, one in the little 'tray' like thing where you rest your arm and another plastic one at the corner near the rear view mirror. Its usuallly black.

Once you get the handle screw off, you need to unclip the small clip that connects the door handle to the metal rod which leads to the actual lock itself. Careful not to snap this bit of plastic.

After thats off, just wedge your fingers between the metal door and the door trim to pop it off.

Gluck.

traNce_gl
03-05-2004, 04:23 PM
just to add like they said do it slowly and not rush it becacur there a little plug for the pwer window's u have to diconect that before u take the door of

wynode
03-05-2004, 05:53 PM
Oh yeahh that too! :|

Thanks for that traNce_gl

Actually there are two connectors that go into back of the powe window controls.

incoming
03-05-2004, 06:03 PM
adding on...

to get the fabric off.. i saw somewhere that i can drill the lil plastic bits holding the yellow colour plastic w/ fabric trim off and the plastic/fabric comes off..

i wish i rem where i saw it, i woulda linked it..
try the USA forums in the DIY section

vuvu
04-05-2004, 06:54 PM
how much material would u need for all 4 doors?
i got the sedan as well... the grey is getting dirty as and theres like 60 ciggy burns on it haha

traNce_gl
04-05-2004, 06:58 PM
how much material would u need for all 4 doors?
i got the sedan as well... the grey is getting dirty as and theres like 60 ciggy burns on it haha

not sure bout that..just take of the old fabric of and take it to spotlight or whever ur gonna get ur material from and just use ur template

vuvu
04-05-2004, 07:05 PM
ah alrity.. i'll do it this w/e.. thanks guys

vuvu
10-05-2004, 07:53 PM
ok dudes.. well i actually got around to looking at the door trim and i've encountered a problem
on the inner door panel.. the fabric is held on by plastic screws that are melted onto the panel
taking them off is easy.. problem is how do u get the plastic bit back on?
super glue?
anyone tried this b4?
thanks

Mitch M
10-05-2004, 09:07 PM
It's not hard

have to take out the door handle and unclip the latch to open the door from behind

and there is a few other screws and then the whole thing just pops off!!

SoundStreamer
10-05-2004, 09:18 PM
its also preferable (important) to make sure you take it off with the window fully down. also makes it easier to put back on. but it should be easy peasy did it in the itr all the time, just make sure you know where all the clips and screws are and the more you do it the easier it will become.

vuvu
10-05-2004, 11:11 PM
ahh nah the problem is not the door panel
its the panel inside the door panel that holds the door trim in place
if you look on the other side of this panel the trim panel holds the ugly material clothy thing inside... taking these plastic melted bolts off requires breaking them since they are melted plastic... breaking these plastic bits means you can't put them back on... capeesh? lol
hard to explain...
but people who have done these on EG civics will know wat im talking about
suggestions?

Mitch M
10-05-2004, 11:14 PM
ahh nah the problem is not the door panel
its the panel inside the door panel that holds the door trim in place
if you look on the other side of this panel the trim panel holds the ugly material clothy thing inside... taking these plastic melted bolts off requires breaking them since they are melted plastic... breaking these plastic bits means you can't put them back on... capeesh? lol
hard to explain...
but people who have done these on EG civics will know wat im talking about
suggestions?

i was pretty sure [from memory] that it was held in by clips ... metal, bendable clips ... i dunno about bendable but if what i remember is right, they looks slightly maleable

vuvu
10-05-2004, 11:25 PM
hmm.. mine are definately not clips... i'll retake a look at them tomrow...
but im pretty sure they arn't clips.. jsut shitty melted plastic bolts

Dr4g0n
11-05-2004, 09:57 AM
i know what you mean dude...i was looking at the honda-tech forums yesterday and saw the tutorial someone mentioned before on how to reskin that part you're trying to retrim...

i also have those melted thingys you speak of. i think the tutorial said to use washers and screws to put it back on the door trim. i'll see if i can find that tutorial

Dr4g0n
11-05-2004, 10:03 AM
found it!

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=473878

it's not for an eg door, but it has those melted bits that hold that piece on the door trim aswell...

wynode
11-05-2004, 01:42 PM
Ahh good info!

vuvu take some pics and post up a DIY if you don't mind :)

I will do this one day....when I have more time.

Dr4g0n
11-05-2004, 03:41 PM
if i have time on the weekend, i'll probably rip the skin off that part of the trim and take pics for ppl with eg sedans...

thinking of just painting the part black or something for that plastic look...

-MuGen PoWer-
11-05-2004, 08:39 PM
yeah can u take pix of some steps

thanx!!

wynode
11-05-2004, 09:43 PM
What about putting some nice material on it? Maybe like some cheap leather if you're on a budget, otherwise some nice felt......but anything is better than the worn/faded EG interior :)

MR-VTEC
11-05-2004, 10:26 PM
i did the interior of my eg in white vinyl. the door inserts were trimmed and the rest painted. those plastic bits holding that door insert i just got a soldering iron on and melted them of.
[/img]

vuvu
11-05-2004, 10:26 PM
alrite guys on the week end if i can i'll do a diy job and write it up
wat are these washer things he speaks of? looks to me like they are just normal screws..

MR-VTEC
11-05-2004, 10:29 PM
hes talking bout using washers and screws to put the door insert back on i think.

vuvu
11-05-2004, 10:43 PM
hmm alrity.. i'll see wat happens wen i take em off :D