PDA

View Full Version : HELP - i think my clutch is fked

floopy
22-05-2006, 03:51 PM
hey guys

last night when i was driving i noticed all of a sudden my clutch lost alot of pressure. As in for the first half of pressing it, there was no resistance, and the second half of the clutch felt normal. The friction point is very high almost at complete release.

this morning when itried to drive it, the clutch felt almost completley gone, and it was almost impossible to even put it in first gear. All gears have problems going in, but reverse and 1st are the worst.

I havnt noticed any fluid leakages (something i was reading in other posts)

and im gettin a racv guy to come in abt 30 mins....

but im freakin pist abt this.. argh.

also, if it is a clutch problem i'll prolly get a exedy HD clutch. Im in melbourne - can anyone recommend me a decent place that wont cost an arm and a leg?

thanks guys

Weq
22-05-2006, 05:47 PM
It sounds like ur clutch master or slave cylinder has blown its seals.

aaronng
22-05-2006, 06:23 PM
First, check the clutch fluid resevoir. Is there enough fluid? If there is, then your clutch master cylinder has a problem. If there is low fluid, check if your floor mat around the clutch pedal is wet with clutch fluid. If not, then check the clutch slave cylinder for leaks.

pchio
22-05-2006, 10:34 PM
Man this just happened to me just then. ****!!!
umm wat are my options?
is this a big problem or can be fixed by a road side service?
or should i just get it towed to a mechanic?

floopy
22-05-2006, 11:02 PM
thanks for the heads up

got racv to come have a check. it is a master cylinder issue. he said i should just take it to repco. may cost around 200ish

PCHIO: do what aaronng said. if you are low on fluids, fill it up with brake fluid.
you may need to bleed the slave valve thing to release some air. anyhow just fill up the fluid and then pump ur clutch and hopefull the feel of the clutch will come back. but you will have to get it checked out either at a mechanics or a branke n fluild shop.

pchio
22-05-2006, 11:27 PM
ok kool
thanks floopy
but the thing is my clutch sinks all the way in now and doesnt come back up unless i flick it back up.

aaronng
22-05-2006, 11:49 PM
ok kool
thanks floopy
but the thing is my clutch sinks all the way in now and doesnt come back up unless i flick it back up.
Check your fluid level first. If the clutch is sinking all the way down, means it is not keeping pressure. It could be a leak at the master or slave cylinder.

bOoStn
23-05-2006, 09:03 PM
Yeah, just make sure the reservior is full, then crack the bleeder nipple at the clutch slave cylinder which is located at the front of the car on the gearbox bell housing. Leave it open untill it is just fluid coming out. It should keep you mobile for long enough for you to get to a workshop.

pchio
24-05-2006, 10:22 AM
reservior is empty apparently but cant seem to find where the leak is, well thats wat the dude from lube mobile told me. and the ****** wanted to charge me $1100 to change the master and slave cylinder. is this right??? he said that because it genuine Honda parts thats y its so expensive, then he goes he needs to change to hose which will take 2 weeks cuz it needs to be custom made from japan?????

floopy
24-05-2006, 11:03 AM
pchio:
im not too sure, i heard someone with a simular prob and it cost him 2k for his s2k.

but my old man called honda and they said its 300 bucks.

im gonna call repco now and see.

it seems dodgy but if its just ur master cylinder, i dont know details, but u can ask a brakes shop to fit the cylinder with a sleeve which should stop the leaking.

btw the leak should be around ur clutch. check not only ur carpet, but along the cluth pedal. use a torch, coz i couldnt see mine at first.

btw guys any other places u would recommend?

pchio
24-05-2006, 04:33 PM
thanks mate. yea the leak is around the clutch pedal. how can i tell if its the master or slave or both?

bOoStn
24-05-2006, 05:01 PM
If its leaking around the clutch pedal, it is the master cylinder. That is located just above the pedal. The slave cylinder is located on the bell housing, and at the very front of the car. You should be able to see if thats leaking just by looking at it. If not, there is a black boot around it, pull that back, and see if its wet under it.

dudeling7
24-05-2006, 05:55 PM
Yeh its the master cuylinder....this happened to me last week, cost me 200 to fix its only like an hour job. Similar thing happened to me, was just driving and the clutch pedal just had to resistance but i could still get everythig into gear fine jsut felt odd. Noticed there was a leak when i got home and got it all changed! now its good as new!

pchio
24-05-2006, 06:49 PM
cool thanks guys
probably gonna get honda to do it for me
quoted me $75 for the master cylinder and $80 for the labour + $8-9 for fluid.
seems like a good deal compared to RORT(lube) MOBILE :)

floopy
24-05-2006, 08:12 PM
cool thanks guys
probably gonna get honda to do it for me
quoted me $75 for the master cylinder and $80 for the labour + $8-9 for fluid.
seems like a good deal compared to RORT(lube) MOBILE :)

no shit! ****. i paid $330 for mine including labour. but i changed the slave cylinder too. bur your still getting the parts cheaper then i did plus ur's will be genuwine! oh well.

pchio
24-05-2006, 11:35 PM
yea next time ur in need of a part call honda and check with them first. you will be supprised on how much SOME of the parts are.