PDA

View Full Version : LSD into non LSD B serise box

[[d a n n y]]
23-05-2006, 04:12 PM
what's invovled in putting a LSD into a non LSD gearbox?
can i just put it in?
does the stock box already have mounst for it?
does any1 have any experiences with these?

SPEEDCORE
23-05-2006, 04:19 PM
So long as there is an LSD made for that box it is a matter of pulling it apart and replacing the open centre with the LSD.

That's a very basic description and I have left out things like transfering the ring gear and speedo drive cog from the open centre to the LSD, to possible shimming involved. Also not sure if FWD box is the same..... but in the 86, backlash and preload have to be adjusted also when changing diff centres.

I recommend you install new carrier bearings while your at it and have the rest of the box inspected ie. wearing syncros etc.

barefootbonzai
23-05-2006, 04:27 PM
just need to know your way around a gearbox. It's a quite a fustrating job getting the case on and off. But once you've got it open, and know how to take out the shafts, providing you got the right LSD with correct outer ring to match the countershaft and new carrier bearings as mentioned by Adrian the new LSD drops in place of the open diff.

tinkerbell
23-05-2006, 04:33 PM
you also need to re-set the roller bearing pre-load too...

SKREMN
23-05-2006, 08:25 PM
all depend what lsd and into what box
i put an ITR LSd into my box
i had to chnage over the gears to suit as they are different ratios

[[d a n n y]]
23-05-2006, 08:45 PM
what about aftermarket LSD's such as OBX etc?

SKREMN
24-05-2006, 08:22 PM
that has nothing to do with the lsd. the reason why you needed the other was beacuse you ran the ITR final drive.
The ITR LSD is a bigger unit and requiers a bigger housing and the housing is the final drive

[[d a n n y]]
24-05-2006, 08:50 PM
plz stay on the topic plz

the last 2 post didnt really help me

SKREMN
24-05-2006, 09:01 PM
its telling you that if you get a different lsd then acually suited to your series of box you will have to change the final drive and other gears to suit

where is your lsd from?
and what box do you exactly have?

[[d a n n y]]
25-05-2006, 02:20 AM
okay...now we are getting somewhere

i have a stock B16a box
it's due for a rebuld soon as the syncros are nearly dead.
and i wanna get a after market lsd such as OBX and put it in at the same time as the rebuld

jimmeh
25-05-2006, 07:35 AM
obx is fine danny. weg is putting an obs lsd in he Dseries box.
and everyone in the US reckons theyre good

barefootbonzai
25-05-2006, 09:28 AM
Yeah don't sweat it man. Getting an obx LSD and reusing the same outer ring gear, it should be a straight fit. SKREMN is talking about if you are changing the final drive (outer ring and countershaft) at the same time.

ekslut
25-05-2006, 10:44 AM
If its made for your B16a box then yes, it should go straight in without any hassles. If your going to put in a ITR lsd, then the final drive will have to be changed to a ITR final drive too, coz as 'SKREMN' said, the LSD is a bigger unit and needs the bigger housing.

SKREMN
25-05-2006, 09:04 PM
if your going to rebuild have you considerd higher ratios?
i noticed with stock b16 box compared to my ITR ratio box the car didnt rev out as quick and not pull as hard

DD2
04-07-2006, 11:43 AM
Is it a labour intensive job to install an LSD?

I'm about to replace my clutch and flywheel, but was also considering adding an LSD providing it wasn't going to cost a fortune in labour, as the LSD itself isn't too expensive.

I have the same motor / box.

[[d a n n y]]
04-07-2006, 01:52 PM
i think it'll cost a fair bit.
cuz i'm doing mine with the synocros so the gearbox will come apart anywayz.
but yeah
you'll have to pay abit more