PDA

View Full Version : need some guidance

qikteg
24-05-2006, 01:41 PM
i've been pondering a lot of things lately about my lil ol DA3 integra, and i'm not sure which way i should be going with it. It is my daily driver, so bare that in mind, that i need it to be reliable, relatively fuel efficient, and i can't have it off the road for long stints at a time... (ie more than a week).

so i'm starting to consider which direction i should go in terms of what to modify. its a ZC d16a8, 1.6l, the same as what is available in some crx's and civic si's. so now, i need to decide whether to tune the ZC motor and keep it NA, bolt-on turbo kit, or go for an engine transplant to either a vtec or turbo (least likely option).

so now, there's a few basic mods that i wanna do. i want to lower the car a couple of inches (nothin absurd), and improve handling/suspension setup. i'm going to install an exhaust system in the next few weeks, most likely a 2.25" mandrel bent system, complete with extractors. i've already setup a CAI and pod filter.

so two things i need to know, is will a 2.25" exhaust be suitable for a bolt on turbo, and will my handling/suspension setup be affected by whether i go NA or turbo?

Q_ball
24-05-2006, 01:50 PM
Depends on many factors to do with ya turbo setup.
2.25" maybe a lil restrictive, most people have 3" for their exhausts on a turbo car.
Suspension should be right, it only plays a big factor if you plan on taking the car to the drags, tracks etc.
For daily driving and boosting, it should be fine.
Stiffer would be better tho imo.

EGB16A
24-05-2006, 02:00 PM
i've been pondering a lot of things lately about my lil ol DA3 integra, and i'm not sure which way i should be going with it. It is my daily driver, so bare that in mind, that i need it to be reliable, relatively fuel efficient, and i can't have it off the road for long stints at a time... (ie more than a week).

so i'm starting to consider which direction i should go in terms of what to modify. its a ZC d16a8, 1.6l, the same as what is available in some crx's and civic si's. so now, i need to decide whether to tune the ZC motor and keep it NA, bolt-on turbo kit, or go for an engine transplant to either a vtec or turbo (least likely option).

so now, there's a few basic mods that i wanna do. i want to lower the car a couple of inches (nothin absurd), and improve handling/suspension setup. i'm going to install an exhaust system in the next few weeks, most likely a 2.25" mandrel bent system, complete with extractors. i've already setup a CAI and pod filter.

so two things i need to know, is will a 2.25" exhaust be suitable for a bolt on turbo, and will my handling/suspension setup be affected by whether i go NA or turbo?

my advice would be to go for a low KM b18c swap. as for the rest, i agree with Q ball

qikteg
24-05-2006, 08:01 PM
so will a 2.25" exhaust be sufficient for a stock b18c engine?

because if it is, it means that i can get my suspension and a 2.25" exhaust system done without having to replace them if i upgrade the motor (which is a good thing).

Q_ball
25-05-2006, 11:45 AM
2.25" exhaust will be sufficient yes.
However, its more suited for better low end response, rather then top end.
2.5" is what you would use to get a better high end gain.

bennjamin
25-05-2006, 11:56 AM
my advice would be to go for a low KM b18c swap. as for the rest, i agree with Q ball

~ what he said.

2.5inch is too big IMO for a 1.6l engine or even stock 1.8l engine. 2.25 seems to be perfect for both mentioned as mentioned :P
It is not worth it at all , further modifying your existing engine as there are very little options out there apart from custom work. IMO as above , source some later model 1.6 or 1.8l engines , say a b16a2 or b18c2 or c7 from later EG/EK and DC2's and with a few $$$ worth of parts n labour you will have a nicer result.

Write down your budget on paper and consider either a few breathing mods for "a nicer noise" from yuor exisiting engine or save up and chuck it into either a conversion OR sell the car and start fresh with something WITH a nicer engine to begin with :)

qikteg
25-05-2006, 02:11 PM
thanks for the great feedback guys, it definately has helped me with some decisions. does this sound like a good plan?

i'll get the tegsy lowered a bit and improve the handling/suspension, then i'll go for a 2.25" catback. then i can save up some money and research the best option for swapping to a b series engine with extractors and a hi-flow cat. i may do some basic work to the b engine, lightened fly wheel, clutch, adjustable cam gears, intake etc but nothing big

Limbo
25-05-2006, 08:44 PM
yup sounds good, get some strut braces if you can get them cheap they help with handling quite abit. I've got them all round my car and they work wonders. A larger swaybar also comes in handy.

qikteg
25-05-2006, 09:29 PM
tops, gotta find wat kind of strut/sway bars fit on my chassis...

alrite, well thats great, thanks everyone!

Q_ball
25-05-2006, 09:38 PM
tops, gotta find wat kind of strut/sway bars fit on my chassis...

alrite, well thats great, thanks everyone!
Check out the Whiteline website for their range.
They tend to be the brand to go :)