PDA

View Full Version : DIY - EG Resonator Removal (CRX - Delsol)

Twincam16
25-05-2006, 10:53 AM
EG2 Resonator Removal

I finally found some time to tear apart my car last night, rip out the resonator & reset the ECU. For those that haven’t tried yet because of lack of information, it is Similar to the EK process, but with a few different steps, and a shitload harder to remove a few certain screws. Hope this helps.

Firstly, remove the top fixing plate, which holds the top of the front bumper on.
http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/7382/photo00868lj.jpg

Remove the 2 screws that hold the sides of the bumpers on to the car, to do this, remove the plastic shielding by easing it out from the bumpers under the wheel arch. Feel around up the top, and use a Phillips head screwdriver to remove these.
http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/8395/photo00876qh.jpg

Lastly, undo the two bolts underneath the car with a 10mm socket, now, if your car is like mine, these bolts are screwed by years of lowered fun. Half the bolt was worn down, so, in order to remove this, get out you’re grips and rip that shit out!
http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/3047/photo00911hg.jpg

Honda Ingenuity?

Next step, move the overflow bottle to side (just lifts out), undo the air box, and remove (for now).

This is the dirty/painful/annoying part of the job. Undo the resonator box with the screws on the side, don’t try to pull this.

Next, stick your hand under the car, and remove the plastic injection piece that holds your splashguards up. It is under there in a tricky spot, you will probably end up butchering this like I did, after 10 years of heat the thing feels like its part of the guards, never mind, zip ties always come in handy!

Now, go pack to drivers side wheel arch, and stick your hand behind the splashguard once again. Between the two sections of the resonator you should feel a bolt, undo this bolt, it holds the resonator in place.

Finally, from inside engine bay, push down on two pieces of resonator tubing while pushing to left, should slide out with some force. Apply CAT etc, or cut some holes around those areas, up to you.

Put everything back together. It also helps to do an ECU reset while removing the resonator.

Finally, start her up and hear it scream!!!

TKO
30-05-2006, 10:00 PM
nice write up....

i feel your pain! It is not easy to get that stupid thing out.

anfz
02-06-2006, 02:25 AM
Hey guys what benefit would i have if i removed the resonator on a stock setup also a crx delsol ?

92DELSOL
02-06-2006, 11:17 AM
benefits are less restricted air flow (as u would see when u pull the stupid thing out) and makes a nice sound on WOT :cool:

anfz
06-06-2006, 06:13 AM
would the sound overpower the exhaust ?

aimre
06-06-2006, 11:59 AM
Hey guys what benefit would i have if i removed the resonator on a stock setup also a crx delsol ?

Weight reduction.... Look how much crap there in there

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v47/aimre/mewithpipe.jpg

Plus now u will suck cold air outta the bumper

Twincam16
06-06-2006, 12:57 PM
just realised the above write up isnt finished!!! :p

edit: will add up the other photos asap & fix the little arrows too

anfz
09-06-2006, 04:32 AM
hey twincam16 im about to take my resonator out as well, on my delsol,any more help with pictures or anything would be appreciated thanks dude

czy_sol87
12-06-2006, 07:37 PM
done that as well, its not that hard to take out, and if u have the stock exhaust system then the sound of the intake will probly louder then the exhaust, i took out the stock airfilter and put a pod onto the end of the airbox
diy CAI yo!!!!

Blaze
02-05-2015, 10:37 AM
After removing the resonator is it required to reset the ECU or not? Everything on the car is standard equipment except for the air filter. I put in a temporary K&N drop-in for the time being.

Blaze
02-05-2015, 11:54 PM
I probably shouldn't have taken the resonator off on a rainy night. Can't feel whether it's an improvement in performance or not.

Edit: sounds better, but :)

Blaze
03-05-2015, 05:03 PM
Took the car out for a drive and have concluded that is sounds really aggressive but runs like shit. Fuel consumption goes through the roof and there is a very noticeable loss of power throughout the power band. Save yourselves the trouble and don't touch it, it's not worth sounding really loud and sporty if you struggle to go anywhere.

Blaze
13-05-2015, 11:33 AM
For anyone else that wants to try this you can get the same result in 5 minutes if you do the following:
- lift out the white coolant bottle
-lift out the snorkel
- undo the 3 bolts holding the air box down
-lift out the air box
-pull off the rubber seal from the bottom of the air box
- put everything except the rubber seal back where it came from
Done.

This way you don't have to take your bumper off and risk losing screws/bolts and the end result is the same.

u mad?
13-05-2015, 12:18 PM
i prefer to run no intake