PDA

View Full Version : 2mth not using the car.. Battery?

adammet04
25-05-2006, 04:55 PM
Hi wondering what to do with the car

im off on holiday for 2 months and im wondering what i should do with the euro

eg, get a family member to take him round the block once a week?
or
disconnect batt terminals?

anyone got any ideas?

it will be garaged the entire time thankfully

cheers

driven
25-05-2006, 05:06 PM
i left my euro garaged for 3 months.
Just disconnected the battery. Came back and it started fine.
so probably just disconnect the battery terminals and you'll be alright.

aaronng
25-05-2006, 05:11 PM
Remember to wrap up the battery cable/terminal so that it doesn't short when you are away. I've left mine for 1 month without starting and it was still alright when I came back.

timmy_12
25-05-2006, 05:31 PM
The battery the euro comes with is a very good battery.

I have put my battery through hell I am in the car scene and usually leave the driving lights on when I am out of the car have had them on for about 45 mins and the car has started fine

I left one of the map lights on for 24 hours a few days back because I haven’t been using the car much and a friend told me the light was left on and the battery only dropped to 11.5V (so for the guy worried about leaving his boot open over night you will be more than fine to do that)

I have also left the headlights and driving lights on by accident one arvo and the lights were very dull left the car sit for about an hour and gave it a go at starting it struggled a bit but it started

I also do a fair bit of camping and until I got the jump pack for camping I ran lights, air pump, inverter for chargers, radio and laptop all off the car for the whole night and did not kill it.

I wasn't worried paid the money for roadside assist so I have to get my money back on that (still yet to use it)

All in all you should be fine to leave the car sitting there for 2 months and it should start 1st go

I would be more worried about the oil settling to the bottom of the engine and when you start it again having no lubrication until it's done a few revolutions and lubricates the engine again

Timmy

www.coastcars.net (http://www.coastcars.net/)

bOoStn
25-05-2006, 06:03 PM
Just disconnect the negative battery terminal, and it will be more than fine sitting there for 2 months.
When you reconnect it, you will need to set the clock, radio stations, drivers auto window function, and let the car idle for 10 minutes so it can do its idle relearn proceedure

panda[cRx]
25-05-2006, 06:12 PM
adam as well as disconnecting the battery it would also be a good idea to set the tire pressures a lil higher.

EuroDude
25-05-2006, 07:00 PM
And fill the fuel tank up full - as stated in the manual.
Plus its a good idea to change the oil if its almost time to change it.

timmy_12
25-05-2006, 07:28 PM
can someone please elaborate on why they say to fill the fuel tank if the car is going to be stored for a extended period

my beleifs are fuel detoriates over time and it would be better for the car to have less fuel stored in it so it isn't pumping through a fuel of lesser quality when you do start using the car again.

Timmy

www.coastcars.net (http://www.coastcars.net)

yfin
25-05-2006, 11:07 PM
eg, get a family member to take him round the block once a week?

This is the best option. Mine is stored for 12 months and my dad is driving it every few weeks (although there will be a 3 months period where it is only started in the garage every week).

Nothing else was done to the car except fresh oil, pumped up tyres and the best wash and wax of its life.

I might just rack up the lowest amount of kilometers in a Euro in 12 months.

raz05
25-05-2006, 11:25 PM
I juz disconnect the battery while i'm away for 2+ months, no problem with starting the car after that

yfin
25-05-2006, 11:29 PM
can someone please elaborate on why they say to fill the fuel tank if the car is going to be stored for a extended period

my beleifs are fuel detoriates over time and it would be better for the car to have less fuel stored in it so it isn't pumping through a fuel of lesser quality when you do start using the car again.

Timmy

www.coastcars.net (http://www.coastcars.net)

My understanding is that you want to avoid any condensation in the fuel tank so keeping it full minimises the risk. Water in your fuel tank is not a good thing!

Yes the fuel will deteriate over time but theoretically the fuel companies say it should last well for up to 6 months. I personally wouldn't keep the same fuel for that long which is why I am getting my car driven from time to time - you know the family airport pick up runs etc, the longer the trip the better so fresh fuel is used every few months.

Adammet04, 2 months isn't very long so you don't have to do anything special. One important question that I think we all have forgotten to ask - is whether the car will be indoors or outdoors? The preparation for keeping the car outdoors is more extensive (I am so glad I didn't have to go through that).

EuroAccord13
26-05-2006, 12:19 AM
I'm moving this to the Technical Section if you don't mind :)

adammet04
27-05-2006, 04:37 PM
awesome thanks for all the response in regards to this

nick go for it move it to where it shoudl go...actually already gon ethere lol

laurence , i got the tire pressure set to about 38 with nitrogen so i feel it should be ok,

my parents feel a bit weird driving my car, so the bat terminal and full tank think will be what ill do..

yeah i know 2 months not a long time, but its my baby !!!!

thanks again guys, awesome feedback..!!