PDA

View Full Version : brakes help!!

jrakasp
26-05-2006, 11:30 AM
Problem - my ABS doesnt seem to be working and my brakes lock like there is no tomorow. i get jack all stopping power and if i push it just that bit more, it locks.. my friend in an EF (which has no ABS) has more braking power than me... really really scary when going down twisties..

Car Spec - 96/97 Ek4. Stock brakes (calipers, rotars etc), lowered with kings superlows, 16" rims..

if anyone has any idea of what the problem is, or what to do please help!!

Zdster
26-05-2006, 12:15 PM
Sounds a bit like your master cylinder is on the way out and might need to be reconditioned. I am not sure however if this would affect your abs. Alternatively maybe the abs controller/module is gone? Wait to see what ECU-man says on the topic.

dsp26
26-05-2006, 01:26 PM
ABS does not give you more braking power.

"Anti-Lock Braking Sytem" - it prevents you from locking up!! this is achieved by sensing when your car locks up and releases the brakes to give you some traction to sterr your car while your still hard on brakes.

It is the equivalent of a GOOD DRIVER pressing and releasing the brakes a controlled amount to be able to slow down and yet maintain some sort of traction where you cant.. ie wet roads...

jrakasp
26-05-2006, 01:39 PM
ABS does not give you more braking power.

"Anti-Lock Braking Sytem" - it prevents you from locking up!! this is achieved by sensing when your car locks up and releases the brakes to give you some traction to sterr your car while your still hard on brakes.

It is the equivalent of a GOOD DRIVER pressing and releasing the brakes a controlled amount to be able to slow down and yet maintain some sort of traction where you cant.. ie wet roads...

i know what abs stands for
dont reply unless u have REAL ADVICE TO GIVE, not definitions

EG5[KRT]
26-05-2006, 01:48 PM
do u have any brake pad material left ??

mayb you shoudl work out why u dont have good braking first then worry about abs later..

mayb ur booster has lost the vacuum ... ur proportioning valves are clogged ...

when it gets to abs .. do u have enough fluid in the reservior ? is the system bled properly ?? is the fuse burnt out ? is a abs wheel speed sensor faulty ?

CRXer
26-05-2006, 02:13 PM
Does the ABS indicator light come on?

Does ALL the other electricals in the car work fine?

Check all ur fuses under dash and in the ABS fuse box under hood and post back to try & narrow it down a bit.

dsp26
26-05-2006, 03:22 PM
i know what abs stands for
dont reply unless u have REAL ADVICE TO GIVE, not definitions

pfft take it the wrong way forum noob.. you've missed the point.

there is nothing wrong with your ABS unless your car is in the goods with what EG5[KRT] said about brake pad material.

- If you are lacking Pad material your fluid levels go down from MAX in the reservoir to compensate and give it "the give".
- ABS uses pressure sensing. If you lack fluid due to factors like above then it won't kick in.

ABS issues aside... CHECK your reservoir. if it is low then top it up. This is obviously a temporary fix. ASSUMING when you have new pads the reservoir is at MAX. IF you do not have any leaks and it is LOW then it is safe to assume your almost out of PAD.

Process of elimination then... if you in the goods with all the above then we can start troubleshooting if it is your ABS

zorrt
26-05-2006, 04:19 PM
^^^ agree. Find out why you don't have breaking power in the first place. ABS does not increase your stopping power. Just stops your brakes from locking.

"my ABS doesnt seem to be working and my brakes lock like there is no tomorow. i get jack all stopping power and if i push it just that bit more, it locks"

ECU-MAN
28-05-2006, 03:28 PM
regardless of pressure, pad matirial or life, fluid level. IF he is locking the brakes ABS should stop the lock, that is its job.

things to check

- the things mentioned above
- does the ABS light come on when you 1st start the engine and go out???

- check the ECU for fault codes ( its not that hard ) coz if there is an electrical fault it will apear in the ECU as a code

- the ABS modulator could be faulty and one or more of the release valves are faulty. the ECU would detect this and make the ABS light come on.

the only things you can do is to Check the ECU for codes, and bleed the brakes. anything more would require a bit of knowladge, multi meter with waveform viewer and the Honda Diagnostic tester. ( yo can do alot of testing with out the Honda tester as well )..

it is normal for the wheel to lock - release - lock - release.

are you getting full on lock and leaving big ass marks behind on the road ???

bOoStn
28-05-2006, 10:27 PM
does it have drums or discs at the rear?

spoonsir2
29-05-2006, 11:43 AM
does it have drums or discs at the rear?

its an EK4 - disc all around :p

jrakasp
29-05-2006, 11:42 PM
thanks for all the replies guys
i have checked few things that i could..

1. i dun have much pad material left
2. i have plenty of brake fluid
3. abs light comes on and goes off when i start my engine

for the rest like ecu and stuff..i am afraid im not skilled to do so
so what do u think guys? u reckon i should just take it to a professional?
help will be much appreciated
cheers