PDA

View Full Version : *** Water in aftermarket Head lights ***

No-VTEC
29-05-2006, 10:49 PM
Hi Everyone.

just wondering if anyone has had the problem i have now.

i bought a pair of Angel Eye projector head lights about 3 months ago.
initially it was all good... being summer ... but we still get rain in heavy rain Melbourne ...all the time...

anyway ... it wasnt until after a few weeks when driver's side light had a little fog. ... now .. after a few heavy down pours and a few high pressure car washes ... BOTH lights are completely fogged up.

Hondwreck in Springvale said they can send it away to get re-sealed. will probably go with this option to see if this helps. but was curious if anyone has had the same problem and fixed it ...

Opinions?
Solutions?
DIY ???
does anyone know a shop that can do this in Melb ??? would rather cut out the middle man (hondwreck) if i can.

I noticed NotoriousAhmie has got the same headlights i do ...comments ?

Much Appreciated

Zdster
29-05-2006, 10:57 PM
I have heard (but dont quote me) that some people have drilled a small hole in the bottom corner so that the water drains - but I am not 100% sure.

integral90
29-05-2006, 11:00 PM
are they a cheap brand? cause i'd say the glue used to hold it hasn't been properly done. I think if you take them off and leave them in an average temperature room for a while it would make it go, because of there being no precipitation difference.

destrukshn
29-05-2006, 11:01 PM
eh.. quite common in aftermarket stuff like this.
you can do it yourself.
there is a DIY how to rip apart a standard EK headlight, follow the same thing to do your angel eyes.
clean em, then re-seal em.
basic step.
1. take out headlight.
2. take out bulbs, and fittings, rubbers, seals etc.
3. pre heat oven to 150 degress.
4. put in the head light for a few mins should soften the glue.
5. wearing gloves, take off the lense, you can use a screwdriver, as leverage, it should just come off.
6. clean inside of you headlight.
7. get a good silicone, and run it along the case of the headlight, and put the lense back on, apply pressure, to properly seal any gaps.

Kai87
29-05-2006, 11:02 PM
i had the same problem with my projectors
just hair dryer the thing
i did it and it evapourated in like 5- 10 minutes
and it never came back ever since ...
dont know about this winter though ....

kongfu
29-05-2006, 11:07 PM
haha..hey man..my mate got the same problem before...
he been to hondwreck....one guy just drilled a hole ...then no more fog ...

integral90
29-05-2006, 11:09 PM
yeah, all it is, is a difference in temperature and it makes precipitation form on the inside. By drilling a hole you make the temperature inside and outside the light the same, stopping precipitation.

No-VTEC
29-05-2006, 11:22 PM
hmm... i hadn't considered that one.

it's not THAT noticeable once ive been driving around with them on
cos the H1 light bulbs get quite hot and de-mist the head lights.
but it just seems to be getting more water in there

hey destrukshn, do you just use any silicon like ...Selleys All -Clear or something ?

hey kongfu, did your friend get his headlights drilled at hondwreck or re-sealed ?

friend of mine had a Prelude ...'89 i think...stock pop-up lights... and his lights kept collecting water ...after a while he had a puddle in there ...haha

wonder if notorious-ahmie has this problem.

destrukshn
29-05-2006, 11:24 PM
something along the lines of that, did it on a mates car, works fine, forgot what silicone we used though.
but that should do fine.

mugeneration
29-05-2006, 11:29 PM
Even my stockies fog up every now and then, when theyve been sitting in the heat. You could try airing it out by loosening off your headligt bulbs a bit, but i wouldnt really recommend it. Just drill a hole a few mm in diameter in an inconspicuous place (like a corner or something) and put some clear silicone around the edges should solve the problem. You are probably better off taking them apart and cleaning them though as it will leave the inside of your light slightly dirty if you dont.

No-VTEC
29-05-2006, 11:47 PM
sounds like a good start.
i read that the Euro boys were having the same problem with their cars.

wish i had waranty for these lights ... Grrr bloody after market

BRU51N
30-05-2006, 01:54 AM
i had this problem on my wrx aftermarket tail lights.

i couldnt be bothered getting them resealed etc.. so i just drilled multiple small holes on the bottom of the tail light.

i tried sealing it the first time with silicon, but it still had the problem so i just drilled it. never came back after.

VTEC_BOI
30-05-2006, 09:45 PM
I've had this problem with some aftermarket halos for 95 civic 4dr, I'm gonna try and reseal them, not sure, but i've been told if you put the aftermarket headlights in an oven the lense is plastic and would melt of warp it?? If i reseal it and it it still leaks then might have to drill it.

jamchen
30-05-2006, 10:29 PM
water condensation is so often not only to aftermarket but also OEM units...
yeah take the headlights off and stack them into oven to melt down the blues and rseal it with better WATER-PROOF

jamchen
30-05-2006, 10:31 PM
water condensation is very common not only to aftermarket units but as well as OEM ones... yeah just chuck them into oven and melt down the seals... take the lenses apart and firsly wipe clean the plastic covers...
then buy some high quality WATER-PROOF cilicons to re-seal the units...
my aftermarket projectors in my MDX had water marks when i received them.. so i did above steps and its still as clean as it could most...

No-VTEC
31-05-2006, 12:04 AM
yea i think i'm going to go the sure-n-easy way ...
managed to track down a heat gun *yay*
i think most of us first time DIYers are kinda worried about this oven concept. will drill holes and see how that goes ...but need to open them to clean away the water ... -_-"

i was currious though ...after ive got it all cleaned ... and i'm ready to put it back together ... do i need to remove the existing glue ??????????
or do i remelt it abit and use that PLUS silicon for extra water resistance ?

kongfu
31-05-2006, 12:44 AM
hmm... i hadn't considered that one.

it's not THAT noticeable once ive been driving around with them on
cos the H1 light bulbs get quite hot and de-mist the head lights.
but it just seems to be getting more water in there

hey destrukshn, do you just use any silicon like ...Selleys All -Clear or something ?

hey kongfu, did your friend get his headlights drilled at hondwreck or re-sealed ?

friend of mine had a Prelude ...'89 i think...stock pop-up lights... and his lights kept collecting water ...after a while he had a puddle in there ...haha

wonder if notorious-ahmie has this problem.

Hey mate..I think my friend did in Hondwreck in Springvale. It hasnt been re sealed. just drilled a hole under the headlights.very small one.