PDA

View Full Version : Changes to Ozhonda - For the better

wynode
29-05-2006, 11:19 PM
Hi all,

It's been awhile in the doing but that is all my fault as I have been very busy. Anyway in light of the recent issues we are almost done in terms of trying to change things around here.

So here is a list of steps that we have taken.

1. Moderator guidelines (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44616) are now posted publicly so everyone can see what our decissions are based on. This is only for reference and if you feel that the guidelines weren't followed when it came to you.....then make a new thread.

2. Ban guidelines - I will be updating the thread in #1 once we finalise this. The mods and I are still sorting things out but it will outline roughly how long a person gets banned for depending on what they do wrong.

3. Appealing bans - We will create a system where a user who is banned can appeal their ban. Things aren't finalised yet but to avoid abuse of the system there is the risk that your ban can be increased

4. What/Where to buy forum - This should be up fairly soon, but users can post threads asking What products bot buy and where to buy them from. Note that this will NOT be a place to talk about how good/bad a business is.

I think that is most of it for now but if there are any other concerns then post back here please.

Calvo
29-05-2006, 11:41 PM
Good too see some changes being brought about, hopefully they are for the better.

Calvo

joonix
30-05-2006, 12:09 AM
3. Appealing bans

I wouldn't bother with this. You'd have to be a complete dick to get banned.

Do you really want to deal with every nubs objections?

DreadAngel
30-05-2006, 12:40 AM
*thumbs up* good stuff Wyn...

Objections though... maybe fair but tiring...

supernatural
30-05-2006, 03:02 AM
good to see OH making some changes due to the past incident...good stuff...

sassy_fit_vtit
30-05-2006, 12:12 PM
.. i think its great that ur making changes, i think the whole hacking thing ended up being a positive to for the whole community..

suggestion, i want the mods to the individual car forums to be a bit more strict on hating.. we all drive hondas and no one car is better then the other example of hating and dissing is in the jazz forum with thread titled "jazz performance" i personally dont appriciate other honda drivers dissing out my car in general... my 2c

but anyways great work wyn! tough juggling life outside OH and maintaining this forum too!

Q_ball
30-05-2006, 12:25 PM
but anyways great work wyn! tough juggling life outside OH and maintaining this forum too!
if everyone understood and appreciated this fact, alot of bickering can be avoided!
good work wyn! :)

stephen8512
30-05-2006, 05:37 PM
if everyone understood and appreciated this fact, alot of bickering can be avoided!
good work wyn! :)

*nods nods*:thumbsup:

SINISTR
30-05-2006, 06:08 PM
hey Wyn - is there any information about posting so called 'commercial' posts - advertising someones product or business which could benefit the rest of the community?

zorrt
30-05-2006, 09:47 PM
Yea the what/where to buy forum is a good idea! Just make a note that if someone decide to follow the advice from those threads, get rawted, then come back and blame ozhonda give them a quick ban ehehh. Teach people not to be stupid and always use common sense when following others advice.

Advertising business/products which benefits the community is also good. This site should be more focusing on things which benefits the community, rather than benefitting the owners. Thats where the trader section comes in. Also, more happy users = more paying members.

panda[cRx]
30-05-2006, 09:56 PM
what exactly benefts the 'owners' zorrt?
can you give even one valid answer?
and don't gimme that 'mod discount offer' BS coz that is a decision ONE trader made and has nothing to do with the actual mod/admin themselves (it has since been removed anyway)

kongfu
31-05-2006, 01:42 AM
Nice proposals wynode. Expecting for those changes.

zorrt
31-05-2006, 09:53 AM
']what exactly benefts the 'owners' zorrt?
can you give even one valid answer?
and don't gimme that 'mod discount offer' BS coz that is a decision ONE trader made and has nothing to do with the actual mod/admin themselves (it has since been removed anyway)

Why are you hammering me for? I can't give a valid answer as I do not know of the sites past income history (trader accounts, stickers, lanyard etc etc). But if there is a profit that comes out of that, then that would be benefittin the owners. If 100% of the proceedings go towards maintaining the site then I'll gladly retract my comment. Thats all I meant.

I do not care if you mod get a special discount from traders so whats the point in bringing that up?

In the end, regardless of how you choose interpret my statements, everyone here knows a community forum should focus on its users. Atm, theres quite a few honda forums which has popped up recently which is aiming to head in the direction which ozhonda has lost.

So you can either sit there and hammer away at your users whenever they make a comment you don't agree with and watch everyone go away or take their comments into consideration without jumping to conclusion.

bennjamin
31-05-2006, 12:01 PM
Perhaps the ONLY thing the internet needs...ever...is a "intended emphasis" icon for each sentence or comment. Many simply things get blown out of proportion because the reader didnt get either A) sarcasm B) aimed question etc. Calm down guys its only a forum :)

zorrt gave an observation and an idea ~

anyway reason for not allowing many things is that there is simply too many loopholes as it is for naughty people to benefit/take advantage of or from Ozhonda. HENCE we are tight on our Terms and conditions.
I tend to think its easier / better to update our local link directory with non-affiliated helpings (such as wreckers , car parts places , etc. )
Anything else will become a classifieds of sorts...maybe the Boss can look at that and get say a certain amount of "free business card spots" for anyone to poke up abit of a free plug.

Q_ball
31-05-2006, 12:08 PM
Group hug anyone? :p

dc2dc2dc2
31-05-2006, 01:08 PM
Group sex anyone? :p

no thanks Q ! :wave:

zorrt
31-05-2006, 02:14 PM
sounds like ur hinting to q_ball that u want a groupie with him by changing his words hhaha

bennjamin
31-05-2006, 03:16 PM
hey lets keep it factual and with comments ...spam = lounge :)

DannyB
07-06-2006, 04:33 PM
what about the ozhonda store ...is that coming back ....my old lanard has had it and i need a new one!!

dc2dc2dc2
18-06-2006, 02:40 PM
dude....why don't u PM them urself how do u know that they are going to look at this thread ?

DreadAngel
18-06-2006, 02:46 PM
What a random guy, anyway any idea when the changes are going to come?

dc2dc2dc2
18-06-2006, 02:52 PM
oh...is arcade ccoming back ? i miss the arcade when im bored. :)

wynode
18-06-2006, 07:54 PM
4. What/Where to buy forum - This should be up fairly soon, but users can post threads asking What products bot buy and where to buy them from. Note that this will NOT be a place to talk about how good/bad a business is.

Kind of late (I totally forgot about it!) but I've just setup this forum here (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=84) under the Marketplace.

Note: It is NOT a place to talk about the reputation (ie how good/bad) a business is.

DreadAngel
18-06-2006, 10:03 PM
^_^, thanks Wyn, that was mighty quick!

dc2dc2dc2
18-06-2006, 10:05 PM

*cough cough* :wave:

wynode
18-06-2006, 10:43 PM
No :)

JaCe
20-06-2006, 08:12 PM
I can see why OH needs to use non-freemail addresses, but maybe if you let us all invite one friend or refer someone; then that can allow them to sign up using Gmail or something? Like I said in the other thread, alot of ppl use Gmails and other free email addresses to that New Reply emails (and other junk from wherever) can go there. Providing a private ISP address means that if it gets spammed- that person is pretty screwed (as I've experienced with my ISP address being spammed once).

wynode
20-06-2006, 11:19 PM
At the moment it will be like this.......but i'll think about removing this restriction if there are enough complaints :)

JaCe
22-06-2006, 09:43 AM
At the moment it will be like this.......but i'll think about removing this restriction if there are enough complaints :)

*complains again*

Haha or if not, would you consider it as a special request since you're admin? LOL. He reads the forums alot and has been reading them even before they went down; but he was waiting until he got his Civic before he registered- and then OHS happened and now he can't sign up anymore with his Hotmail or Gmail.

Oh well. I guess I like the direction you're taking the site (as in- focus on existing community rather than trying to grow it). I still need to get me a sticker... just not sure where I wanna put it yet! Either on the door, or in the rear windshield.