PDA

View Full Version : water pump weep hole

BlitZ
31-05-2006, 10:38 AM
Is it ok to have abit of water coming from the weep hole?

Ive read in the past (On Ozhonda) saying that its is used to identify a faulty pump....

i have since been told its total BS...

yay or nay?

thread was here...
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1428&highlight=weep

EfiOz
31-05-2006, 04:15 PM
No, it's not OK. The waterpump seal is on it's way out. If it's leaking water through that hole then it's getting through the bearing so if it's left too long, the bearing run's dry from the grease being washed out and it seizes or destroys the housing.

BlitZ
31-05-2006, 04:45 PM
No, it's not OK. The waterpump seal is on it's way out. If it's leaking water through that hole then it's getting through the bearing so if it's left too long, the bearing run's dry from the grease being washed out and it seizes or destroys the housing.

That is the answer from everyone...

So u reckon the below is wrong? its from the honda manual

jsut wondering the contridiction

As quoted in the Honda Factory Service Manual (the one used by the dealerships ) ,

"NOTE : A Small Amount of "weeping" from the bleed hole is normal"

Section 10- Page 14

EfiOz
31-05-2006, 06:08 PM
Normal?!? That's a bit like my HSV dealer telling me that 3.5L of oil consumption between services is "normal".

mooshie
31-05-2006, 07:38 PM
a 'small' amount is an amount you would not even notice. if it drips every now and then- get it replaced, if it seizes then the result could be catastrophic. while you are at it make sure you replace the timing belt and tensioner.

iamhappy46
31-05-2006, 08:12 PM
Do the crankshaft and camshaft oil seals while the whole lot is pulled apart. Nothing worse than changing a timing belt to have it destroyed because the crank seal was not replaced...

BlitZ
31-05-2006, 10:59 PM
I guesss so hey.. lets close this f@#ker of a thread.
jsut wanting alittle more conformation..

ECU-MAN
31-05-2006, 11:18 PM
remember the water pump guides the timming belt as well. if the seal is leaking then the bearing wont last much longer. then the belt could slip a few teeth.

pistons meet valves. lots of fun.

destrukshn
31-05-2006, 11:20 PM
Normal?!? That's a bit like my HSV dealer telling me that 3.5L of oil consumption between services is "normal".
okay maybe your hsv doesn't consume that much oil.
but some cars do consume a heap of petrol.
eg, alfa romeos, they consume bout 2l from service to service.
but they do take 5.7 litres of oil.

EfiOz
01-06-2006, 10:35 AM
No, it actually did consume that much between services. Other "normal" conditions were for the rear shocks leaking after 30K and the intrusive ticking/knocking when cold after 40K.

All "normal" for a HSV apparently.........

iamhappy46
01-06-2006, 09:45 PM
HSV build quality :D and the 3.5L sounds about right for any Gen 3/4 V8 Holden

spanks
03-06-2006, 12:28 AM
HSV build quality :D and the 3.5L sounds about right for any Gen 3/4 V8 Holden

Easy there buddy..type r and s2000 motors aren't exactly the lightest engines on oil..and when there consumption goes above what honda recomend,then all of a sudden the recomended oil usage that is accetable is raised....have seen,heard and argued the point with honda on numerous occasions..oh and by the way my gen 3 uses bugger all oil and neither have the other 2 gen 3 powered cars that i've owned just like my integra...but i would replace the water pump if it is starting to leak any amount regardless of what the workshop manual says..if everyone took the manual litterally alot of parts that are supposedly not adjustable would just get replaced...

vtec90accord
05-06-2006, 04:41 PM
Do the crankshaft and camshaft oil seals while the whole lot is pulled apart. Nothing worse than changing a timing belt to have it destroyed because the crank seal was not replaced...

No offence but i would not do the crackshaft seal if it is not leaking badly, the seal on the crackshaft wears a groove into the crank. When you out the new seal in it is hard to try and get them to seal up again. The only way to get rid of the groove in the crank that i know of is to get it nitrate treated.

ECU-MAN
05-06-2006, 09:10 PM
No offence but i would not do the crackshaft seal if it is not leaking badly, the seal on the crackshaft wears a groove into the crank. When you out the new seal in it is hard to try and get them to seal up again. The only way to get rid of the groove in the crank that i know of is to get it nitrate treated.

this is so true.

excellent post