PDA

View Full Version : VTEC Engine Problem B16A

AsH_
31-05-2006, 11:15 AM
one night i was driving my eg6 and i took on a round-about and i noticed my engine check light came on while i was in vtec...

i was like wtf...

i thought well i might as well change my oil and filter to see if that helped... it didnt.

now when i am driving, as i go into vtec at 5,800rpm my engine check light goes on and i have to turn the car on and off for it to turn off.

alsomy vtec does have that transition sound and does not have that pull anymore.

i know there might be a lot of answers for this but i was wanting to know if anyone has had the same problem...

i suckz not being able to use vtec... :'(

can anyone offer some advice or solutions...

a mechanic told me it might be my valve springs have lost tension and might have to be replaced...

i havent had it checked out yet... i just been driving normally. but as soon as i use vtec, damn light comes on... so annoying...

oh yeh, i was checking my oil level last night and noticed a little piece of plastic... looks like the sealer thats used on my rocker cover... i hope i done have bitz n piecez floating in my engine...

soon i will have the car checked out... need 2 save some money...

wassup
31-05-2006, 02:22 PM
possible problem with your Vtec Solenoid?

AsH_
31-05-2006, 02:28 PM
is it???
how much do they go for???
probly friggin expensive coz itz honda...

any other ideaz ppl??

[[d a n n y]]
31-05-2006, 02:38 PM
well b4 u start doing anything else.
since the engine light came on the ECU should have a error code logged on on it.
follow this guide and check out the code that has logged on the ECU
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8218
and then tell us what code it has logged and we'll take it from there

Goble
31-05-2006, 02:51 PM
:thumbsup:
:thumbsup:
]']well b4 u start doing anything else.
since the engine light came on the ECU should have a error code logged on on it.

EGB16A
31-05-2006, 04:44 PM
i got money on code 21 or 22:p

iamhappy46
31-05-2006, 08:09 PM
Small possibility is that your oil pickup has something clogged/blocking the mesh and is dropping oil pressure when your VTEC solenoid is flowing oil. The whole Flow Vs pressure physics thing comes in and turns the oil light on

qstoria
31-05-2006, 08:49 PM
]']well b4 u start doing anything else.

do what danny says FIRST. follow the guide and get the engine code. once you have that code then post it up and anyone who has had that problem can hopefully steer you in the right direction.

ECU-MAN
31-05-2006, 11:06 PM
did you go around the round about or over it

probably dented your sump and affectng your oil pickup.

check your sump.

search the forum.

JasonGilholme
01-06-2006, 05:57 AM
If the engine is changing sound to a deeper note you're still probably going into vtec. Could be that the ecu is limiting fuel delivery to the engine due to a different fault.

Good luck

bennjamin
01-06-2006, 01:41 PM
+ 1 vote for low oil pressure/oil level...oil moves to one side during cornering ands for X amount of time , low oil pressure thru block and then ECU light comes on.

JasonGilholme
01-06-2006, 03:56 PM
+ 1 vote for low oil pressure/oil level...oil moves to one side during cornering ands for X amount of time , low oil pressure thru block and then ECU light comes on.

This is definately true!!! Seen this a fair few times. I'd check this first before looking into fuel delivery probs.

AsH_
02-06-2006, 11:01 PM
thankz 4 all ur help ppl...

ill find out about the problem soon...
ill keep everyone posted as to what happened...

AsH_
03-06-2006, 12:24 AM
did you go around the round about or over it

probably dented your sump and affectng your oil pickup.

check your sump.

search the forum.

i didnt go over the round-about, didnt hit the sump at all.

AsH_
03-06-2006, 11:15 AM
i did an error test on my car and this is what i got:

1st series: 3 x long, 6 x short flashes = code 36 traction control found on JDM ecu's

2nd series: 2 x long, 1 x short flash = code 21 VTEC spool solenoid valve

what can i do about this???

CRXer
03-06-2006, 11:48 AM
Pull the single pin connector off the solenoid valve,check for between 15-30ohms from pin on valve to ground.if out of this range u need new solenoid.

If good,check for continuity between solenoid connector & A4(with A plug removed from ecu,biggest plug).If not continuous,repair break in this wire.
While ur there check continuity connector to ground,if cont. find ground short on this wire & repair.

Other than that,its the ecu(replace with known good one & test) or the valve needs cleaning or replacing which involves new seals & messy work,which i would take to mech.

ECU pinouts (http://www.hondaswap.com/forums/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=32)

AsH_
03-06-2006, 04:56 PM
thankz... well i hope its not the solenoid...

how much do they go 4???

AsH_
06-06-2006, 08:21 PM
how much r solenoids???

iamhappy46
06-06-2006, 08:58 PM
Ring a Honda wrecker... Genuine OEM Honda solenoids are not cheap!

AsH_
09-06-2006, 01:09 AM
nothingz cheap with honda... Grrrr....

CRXer
09-06-2006, 01:12 AM
nothingz cheap with honda... Grrrr....

In general,u get what u pay for in this life.....

:honda: :thumbsup: