PDA

View Full Version : Skunk2 Intake Manifold on a CRX b16a

Dylanamus
01-06-2006, 10:27 AM
Upon receiving the manifold I immediately concluded that it was definitely designed as a bolt on for the b18cR. I knew it was modeled off the type R intake, but given that the box says b16a as a compatable engine, I would have thought it would be a relatively simple swapover.

Sure it's the same size and there are no clearance issues and all the cylinders line up, but that's where the fun ends.

I will see if I can take some photos of the two side by side.

For now I'm just interested if there's anyone out there who has attempted this conversion. At a glance, I think there will be a lot of customisation required and a few b18c or aftermarket parts on order.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Goble
01-06-2006, 10:46 AM
hey dude them manifolds were designd for the type r or b16a , not the b18c, is it posible u can swap it over? prob the easiest solution.

Dylanamus
01-06-2006, 10:54 AM
hey dude them manifolds were designd for the type r or b16a , not the b18c, is it posible u can swap it over? prob the easiest solution.

Edit: my engine is a b16a, not a b18c.

The box said (from memory) b16a, b16b, b17a, b18c. The design (ie the position of sensors and hose mounts) is the same as the ITR, which was what I was refering to as b18cR.

I don't think Skunk2 make any intake manifolds that suit the b16a perfectly. It looks like this is as close as it gets. There's a lot of things from the b16a intake that I can't just bolt back on or plug back in, like the throttle cable (the Skunk2 sensor mount is moved to be right in the way of where the b16a cable sits) and the fuel rail (no clearance at one end). - And a lot of the sensor positions and vacuum hoses are in awkward positions. There is also an entire mounting point missing on the Skunk2 one. I will have to get photos to explain more clearly unless someone has done it all before.

Dylanamus
01-06-2006, 04:52 PM
In retrospect, this might get more attention in the Technical section, so if anyone wants to move this thread, feel free.

nigs
01-06-2006, 06:43 PM
Nice info.
So you're having trouble fitting this manifold to a B16a motor but believe it should bolt on directly to a B18C2 without any extra parts and/or modifications?

I wanted to order one too but was unsure if it actually worked on both B16a and B18c2 heads...
Keep us posted with updates :D
Cheers.

Dylanamus
01-06-2006, 06:49 PM
nigs: It will work fine on a b16a. There's just a bit of mucking around and additional parts that you'll need. You'll need to know what you're doing as well. Sensors are all over the place. It's not just a bolt off-bolt on job. If you passed the job onto an aftermarket style mechanic, they'd have no problems sorting it out. I'm just interested to know if there are any shortcuts or anything. Any information could save me time and money.

nigs
01-06-2006, 06:55 PM
Not many modification shops deal with Honda's in Brisbane.
Or maybe I just haven't found one yet :(

sivic
01-06-2006, 07:42 PM
i thought APC over there in brissy did a fair bit of work with honda's?

Zilli
01-06-2006, 08:16 PM
hey mate

i tried a search on Honda-tech.com, ive read stuff about this on there before, they are big on skunk2 products in the states but i couldnt find anything, i think if you go in there and ask around youll find heaps of info

As far as i know, the Skunk2 manifold is designed as a copy of sorts for the DC2R manifold, and its used as a substitut, cheaper option for people who want to upgrade the manifold on there B18/18 motors, so my understanding is that the setup will end up being very similar to a B18C5/7 setup

try Honda-tech or clubrsx.com

DynoDave
01-06-2006, 11:30 PM
Upon receiving the manifold I immediately concluded that it was definitely designed as a bolt on for the b18cR. I knew it was modeled off the type R intake, but given that the box says b16a as a compatable engine, I would have thought it would be a relatively simple swapover.

Sure it's the same size and there are no clearance issues and all the cylinders line up, but that's where the fun ends.

I will see if I can take some photos of the two side by side.

For now I'm just interested if there's anyone out there who has attempted this conversion. At a glance, I think there will be a lot of customisation required and a few b18c or aftermarket parts on order.

Thanks in advance for your help.
It is designed as a direct fit for a B16A fitted in an EK not an EF or EG model B16A engines, that is why you will find some issue's with sensor's and other small items bolted to the intake manifold.
Regards Dyno Dave

Dylanamus
02-06-2006, 04:29 PM
It is designed as a direct fit for a B16A fitted in an EK not an EF or EG model B16A engines, that is why you will find some issue's with sensor's and other small items bolted to the intake manifold.
Regards Dyno Dave

Ahh that makes sense. I was thinking I could use an EK fuel rail for that reason, but hadn't put 2 and 2 together yet.

Have you done a job like this before, Dave? Got an idea of what parts I will definitely need to source and what customisation will be required?

SlobberGoat
02-06-2006, 09:19 PM
So why don't they just mark their products more clearly then?
ie: B16A2's and above...