PDA

View Full Version : After market headunits in new civic?

Bob san
01-06-2006, 11:21 AM
Just wondering if anyone has considred fitting a aftermarket headunit in their new 06 civic? i have a JVC one which plays DVDs and a LCD screen.

But my question is can you fit one? cos it seems the stock one is mounted into the dashboard unlike the traditional type. I don't want to cut a big hole in my dash :confused:

Mr. Focus
01-06-2006, 11:41 AM
The Jazz has the same problem, but you can get double din replacements for them

JaCe
01-06-2006, 12:58 PM
I heard you can get replacement dash from America because they have a Civic with a standard double-din deck... I wish I could update the deck, but then, since it's not exactly easy, that's why I went for the VTi-L so I could get the 6 stacker.

chylld
01-06-2006, 01:24 PM
i think replacing the dash is fairly easy, the instructions for it are at collegehillshonda.com.

the issue however is that i've only seen the double-din dash for LHD (e.g. American) cars, and not for RHD cars. maybe someone should approach honda australia on this one?

JaCe
02-06-2006, 09:44 AM
Lifestyle told me that they could have one made... so maybe there are other places in Sydney who can do it?

forensics
03-06-2006, 11:04 AM
shop around ebay for the brackets! might as well do it yourself to save money

Zilli
03-06-2006, 12:41 PM
is your priority sound quality,or do you want pretty colours on your dash?

THe reason why i ask this is because i was at a friends audio shop (Metrosound Artarmon) and he had a rep there that he was talking too who hada peice of hardware which adapts your standard headunit to accept inputs and outputs which allow you to have great sound, as well as be able to add speakers and amplifiers....

he was telling me about the RX8 that isnt a "DIN" configuration, he and m friend seemed to be quite happy with the sound quality coming from the standard head unit... althought ir will never be as good as a high end processor, its a great option in my opinion

chylld
03-06-2006, 01:37 PM
i've picked out two choices of 'headunit hardware' (i think you're referring to line out convertors) for my audio upgrade when the time comes: the Navone Line Level Convertor (abt $40) and the rockford fosgate 3sixty (abt 10x navone). i read somewhere that the navone unit was used successfully in car audio comps, dunno if it was an spl or sq comp but amongst the cheap ones it has almost zero noise so i'd recommend going with that one first off

JaCe
03-06-2006, 05:47 PM
I personally am using an Alpine Line-Out converter in my system and it works fine (I think it was between $50 and $100- hard to say because we bought a package); but I'm pretty sure there cheaper as well as much more dearer options. Also saw something at JB once called the Audiocontrol LC6? Apparently that works too but it was a bit pricey ($319) compared to both the cheap and Alpine line-out converters. Here's a photo I took with my phone when I was bored waiting for the guy to serve me.

http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/6249/audiocontrollc6neededforfactor.th.jpg (http://img83.imageshack.us/my.php?image=audiocontrollc6neededforfactor.jpg)

JaCe
20-06-2006, 03:25 PM
Just as an update... I saw on eBay there is dash replacements for Civic in USA; so it shouldn't be too long before RHD becomes available.

BLKek
20-06-2006, 07:48 PM
If the UK have this model Civic then there's a good chance the RHD version is available already.

EK9_boi
28-06-2006, 11:18 AM
Guys, this pic from Singapore shows that the RHS dash is available already.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/gt_echo/06CivicHUcluster.jpg

You can probably source this from Honda Japan - instead of the navi, you can install your own after market HU! this is good news for those of you who want to do that! :D

Also, I'd imagine this would solve the IPOD plug-in isse also as a few aftermarket HU are IPOD compatible! :)

Pic taken from: http://www.shc-forum.com/garage.php?mode=view_vehicle&CID=89

cheers

car_nut
28-06-2006, 11:52 AM
obviously you will lose the steering wheel controls yeah?

EK9_boi
28-06-2006, 12:13 PM
obviously you will lose the steering wheel controls yeah?

Unless you can adapt them to the HU you plan to install yes you will lose steering wheel HU control.

car_nut
28-06-2006, 02:58 PM
and that sounds unlikely!... hmm i think i'd rather keep the original head unit and just upgrade all the speakers and add a sub!

car_nut
28-06-2006, 02:58 PM
and amp of course!