PDA

View Full Version : Sydney To Melbourne part2

Arowana
01-06-2006, 01:42 PM
Hi, i've read the related thread, but im stil curios about something and i didn't reply in other thread, because its kinda gettin abit off topic.

anyway.

i live in Melbourne, and planning to fly to syd to buy a car and drive around up there for 1 or 2 weeks before coming back (UTOPIA). many related threads say something i have to report to VICROAD AND RTA. Do i have to do that before i buy the car and regestering everything like insurance and stuffs?

YOu might think its pretty stupid asking a question like that. But you see, i dont have a manual license onli can drive Auto.

Im planning to atleast learn on how to get to gear before driving back to Melb. I dont want RTA OR VICROAD to stop me from driving a manual car OR even stop the transaction.

integral90
01-06-2006, 02:20 PM
get the car shipped down, and then while it's on its way, go for your license again in a manual (that's assuming you can drive one)

Arowana
01-06-2006, 02:28 PM
get the car shipped down, and then while it's on its way, go for your license again in a manual (that's assuming you can drive one)

ummm...how much is it to ship down here?.... im not sure i want to do that..because i want to go up there and check out the car first.

Anyway, say that when i bought a car in SYdney, and have like 8months of rego left before expiry date. wen i change the rego to victorian rego. does the expiry date roll over ...or....do i have to purchase a new rego?

twing
01-06-2006, 02:42 PM
there is 2 scenario:
1. In Sydney, you transferred the reg to your name, then you can keep the 8 months rego. You need to have proof of address in Sydney though.
Once the syd rego expires, you can transfer to melb rego WITHOUT RWC.

2. You bring the car here and make the transfer to melb rego. You'll need RWC for this. The 8 months rego can be refunded by RTA.. remember to refund the third party compulsory insurance as well.

Arowana
01-06-2006, 02:59 PM
ummm...ok...but what if the car rego already expired in May?....Do you know if report to RTA OR VICROAD that im gona bring car to Melb...will they still let me drive around Sydney for about a week or 2??

twing
01-06-2006, 03:43 PM
dunno... How about you let the old owner registered first. ;) or give RTA a call.

dan_lee
01-06-2006, 05:29 PM
ummm...ok...but what if the car rego already expired in May?....Do you know if report to RTA OR VICROAD that im gona bring car to Melb...will they still let me drive around Sydney for about a week or 2??

i have a strong feeling that in this case the car will have to be re-registered in sydney before u can drive it around. this is for a couple of reasons:

1. the registration has expired in NSW
2. u can't register the can in VIC as u need a RWC, inspection etc etc etc as mentioned in the other sydney-melbourne thread

so...the only way of driving it legally is to re-register.

in regard to driving a manual on ur auto licence, i don't think that's up to the RTA or VicRoads to enforce. that's somehting u do at ur own risk of being caught by the cops.

WhiteAP1
01-06-2006, 05:41 PM
Auto is a condition on ure license, just like persciption glasses or something like that. If u do get pulled over u'll be given a fine (no points) just like somone who has glasses as a condition and is not waring them. If u have someone next to u who has their full license, u can drive, as it can be said they are teaching u manual. By law u need a yellow sign reading "driver under instruction" viewable from the rear window, but i think its enforced just about as much a J walking.

Id be more concerned about rego issues though.

Zdster
01-06-2006, 06:32 PM
Hi, i've read the related thread, but im stil curios about something and i didn't reply in other thread, because its kinda gettin abit off topic.

anyway.

i live in Melbourne, and planning to fly to syd to buy a car and drive around up there for 1 or 2 weeks before coming back (UTOPIA). many related threads say something i have to report to VICROAD AND RTA. Do i have to do that before i buy the car and regestering everything like insurance and stuffs?

YOu might think its pretty stupid asking a question like that. But you see, i dont have a manual license onli can drive Auto.

Im planning to atleast learn on how to get to gear before driving back to Melb. I dont want RTA OR VICROAD to stop me from driving a manual car OR even stop the transaction.

I dont understand why you havent called vicroads about this. They should be able to confirm exactly how the transaction should take place and how the rego, insurance etc should be dealt with.

In regards to driving a manual car with an automatic license (assuming you are a probationary driver), this is illegal - http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/vrne/vrne5nav.nsf/childdocs/-EF561E873D054989CA256FD300241C10-51CFD44AAB448E95CA256FD300241C13-D3DA5F94490BC504CA256FE1004286BC?open (see the last point).

Arowana
01-06-2006, 11:51 PM
OK..thanks everyone..about the refund of rego with the RTA...is that 100% correct that i can get a refund if i bring car down to melb?

dan_lee
02-06-2006, 12:33 AM
i recommend jsut looking the RTA and VicRoads up and giving them a call. it was the easiest option for me and i got every bit of information i needed from them.

ROLLED
02-06-2006, 12:01 PM
Auto is a condition on ure license, just like persciption glasses or something like that. If u do get pulled over u'll be given a fine (no points) just like somone who has glasses as a condition and is not waring them. If u have someone next to u who has their full license, u can drive, as it can be said they are teaching u manual. By law u need a yellow sign reading "driver under instruction" viewable from the rear window, but i think its enforced just about as much a J walking.

Id be more concerned about rego issues though.

I have the same issue, driving a manual with an automatic licence, it's about $70 for the retest. I've been pulled over once for a routine licence check, I was with myself at the time but they didn't care that my car was manual...

Arowana
02-06-2006, 12:16 PM
I have the same issue, driving a manual with an automatic licence, it's about $70 for the retest. I've been pulled over once for a routine licence check, I was with myself at the time but they didn't care that my car was manual...

lucki you.:thumbsup:

so if you get fine....its not doesn't cost that much rite???..they still let you drive home right?

Zdster
02-06-2006, 12:39 PM
lucki you.:thumbsup:

so if you get fine....its not doesn't cost that much rite???..they still let you drive home right?

Just go and get the re-test done.

I am pretty sure that if you were in an accident and you had the wrong license (whether you caused the accident or not) you would be in a bit of trouble (if not with the law, then with insurance).

Arowana
02-06-2006, 01:05 PM
Just go and get the re-test done.

I am pretty sure that if you were in an accident and you had the wrong license (whether you caused the accident or not) you would be in a bit of trouble (if not with the law, then with insurance).

I dont have manual car to practice on....if i go for retest..i'll fail for sure....thats y im planning to buy the car first...get friends to teach..then retest after im confident.

Q_ball
02-06-2006, 11:27 PM
If you have an auto licence and ur driving a manual car around, u do so at ur own risk.
Do realise that any sort of accident that involves u, ur insurance wont cover u, not even cover notes.
Get a friend to drive for u, better safe than sorry.
Honestly mate, if you have ANY enquiries about the process of buying a car from syd and then driving back to melb, ask Jimmy (toE) from the forums.
He's a moderator so should be easy to find!
Jimmy came up to Syd only a few wks ago to do the exact same thing.
And if worst comes to worst, contact Vic Roads as they'll tell you everything you need to kno.

quangsta
03-06-2006, 02:13 AM
btw if u cant even drive manual and u want to drive it all the way back from syd to melb???...thats abit crazy dont u think....justget it shipped man 300-400 bux....petrol prolli cost you close to 3 tanks so on average 70 a tank with petrol prices these days thats 210 already....extra 100 or 200 wont hurt....better safe then sorry....

be a man do the right thing.....

EK4R
03-06-2006, 03:56 AM
hey guys im thinking of doing this also, getting another car for the gf, saw one in sydney dealers, but was wondering do i have to pay for On-road-cost in sydney since im gona register it in melb?? rego, stamp-duty all paid during registration in melbourne i believe

Arowana
03-06-2006, 04:01 PM
btw if u cant even drive manual and u want to drive it all the way back from syd to melb???...thats abit crazy dont u think....justget it shipped man 300-400 bux....petrol prolli cost you close to 3 tanks so on average 70 a tank with petrol prices these days thats 210 already....extra 100 or 200 wont hurt....better safe then sorry....

hehehhe...yeh..im a bit crazy i know....so far no1 fink its a good idea so far...

be a man do the right thing.....
im more then a man, im a gentleman.;)

Zdster
03-06-2006, 04:42 PM
hehehhe...yeh..im a bit crazy i know....so far no1 fink its a good idea so far...

As no one should. Firstly it is illegal and even if you are not caught, you run a massive risk that if something should happen you will not be covered by insurance and may be liable for a lot of money - remember comprehensive insurance can cover million dollar claims and if the insurance company fights it you may have to pay it out.

Q_ball
03-06-2006, 05:31 PM
If you have an auto licence and ur driving a manual car around, u do so at ur own risk.
Do realise that any sort of accident that involves u, ur insurance wont cover u, not even cover notes.
Get a friend to drive for u, better safe than sorry.
Honestly mate, if you have ANY enquiries about the process of buying a car from syd and then driving back to melb, ask Jimmy (toE) from the forums.
He's a moderator so should be easy to find!
Jimmy came up to Syd only a few wks ago to do the exact same thing.
And if worst comes to worst, contact Vic Roads as they'll tell you everything you need to kno.
As above ppl!!

Arowana
03-06-2006, 05:38 PM
thanks Q_ball