PDA

View Full Version : Need advice: wanting buy a first car

Dylanamus
01-06-2006, 03:35 PM
I am representing someone who is looking at buying a first car.
Budget: $8000-$12000.
Transmission: Automatic
Features: Economical, reliable, safe, easy to drive.
It's for a single man who will mostly be driving alone, but will occasionally need to transport up to 4 passengers. He said 2 doors is consequently not an issue at all.
He said he'd like something that looks a bit stylish, but isn't fussed about the performance side of things.

I suggested a 1995 Civic Hatch (being more stylish and less cliché than the sedan in my opinion). But there are many models and I'd like some recommendations as to which ones to look at and which to look away from.

Any other suggestions for cars are welcome too.

Thanks in advance.

JDM.Power
01-06-2006, 03:39 PM
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44016

hope this would help you,
its also in melbourne!!
good luck in your first time buying a car.

Dylanamus
01-06-2006, 03:59 PM
Thanks mate. I think he's more concerned with best reliability per dollar, as opposed to rarity and JDM factor though. Low km would be on the list, I'd say.

(No point trying to appeal to my sensibilities, I already have a JDM CRX ^^)

mrwillz
01-06-2006, 04:06 PM
a civic is alwais great
im a student
and coudnt b more happier wif a civic for a first car considering how much i rely on a car and km's i do on a weekly basis.

ek4-guy
01-06-2006, 04:11 PM
one thing you may want to consider is that my ek4 hatch is only a 4 seater

mugeneration
01-06-2006, 05:02 PM
I recommend a sedan if he wants to carry passengers. My sedan has proven itself good with carrying passengers. As mentioned, the hatches only take 4 people, plus people bitch and complain about being in the back.

But having too many passengers is overrated lol.

blk_shadow
01-06-2006, 05:04 PM
I am representing someone who is looking at buying a first car.
Budget: $8000-$12000.
Transmission: Automatic
Features: Economical, reliable, safe, easy to drive.
It's for a single man who will mostly be driving alone, but will occasionally need to transport up to 4 passengers. He said 2 doors is consequently not an issue at all.
He said he'd like something that looks a bit stylish, but isn't fussed about the performance side of things.

I suggested a 1995 Civic Hatch (being more stylish and less cliché than the sedan in my opinion). But there are many models and I'd like some recommendations as to which ones to look at and which to look away from.

Any other suggestions for cars are welcome too.

Thanks in advance.

your suggestion is good,
also you have to know how 'big' the passengers are for a hatchback.

mine is also by rule, can only transport 4 people including the driver.

check the Km's make sure they didn't reset anything, check the engine oil. if there is a burnt smell, especially the oil colour. and then tyres, body blablabla..

good luck:thumbsup:

Dylanamus
01-06-2006, 05:19 PM
your suggestion is good,
also you have to know how 'big' the passengers are for a hatchback.

The passengers are children, so hatch-factor isn't a problem. But are all civic hatches 4 seaters? I could have swarn the last GL I was in had a middle rear seat - although I was probably just imagining things.

Sedan does seem more practical, but after showing him some photos, the hatch caught his attention more.

Could anyone link me to or post a quick reference guide to civic models. Highlighting basic differences like carb/EFI, engine capacity and power. etc

Thanks for your input.

dan_lee
01-06-2006, 05:21 PM
we've had 4 guys in the back of an EK CXi before, which is legal because all the seatbelts were used. a bit squashy, but it is do-able.

blk_shadow
01-06-2006, 05:44 PM
The passengers are children, so hatch-factor isn't a problem. But are all civic hatches 4 seaters? I could have swarn the last GL I was in had a middle rear seat - although I was probably just imagining things.

Sedan does seem more practical, but after showing him some photos, the hatch caught his attention more.

Could anyone link me to or post a quick reference guide to civic models. Highlighting basic differences like carb/EFI, engine capacity and power. etc

Thanks for your input.

the rear seats is basically one piece, so you can get 3 people to sit there.
is just what I've been told, it's illegal here to put 3 ppl at the back even tho there is seat belt.
but since Dan said it's ok. then maybe I'm wrong.

civic models according to power and features are (from low to top) cxi (SOHC non VTEC), Gli (same as cxi, except with power features on mirrors, windows), Vti (SOHC VTEC), Vtir (DOHC B16a)

hope this helps

JetSir
01-06-2006, 05:45 PM
vti civic coupe =]

Zdster
01-06-2006, 06:14 PM
is just what I've been told, it's illegal here to put 3 ppl at the back even tho there is seat belt.
but since Dan said it's ok. then maybe I'm wrong.

Who told you that? I am pretty sure that this information is incorrect.

dan_lee
01-06-2006, 06:17 PM
we checked with vicroads who said that if there are 6 ppl wanting to sit in a car with 5 seatbelts, it is legal as long as all the seatbelts are used...or else it isn't legal.

blk_shadow
01-06-2006, 06:22 PM

some old friends of mine. that's why I keep wondering if taxis r doing the same thing too..

Zdster
01-06-2006, 06:34 PM
we checked with vicroads who said that if there are 6 ppl wanting to sit in a car with 5 seatbelts, it is legal as long as all the seatbelts are used...or else it isn't legal.

Correct. You are not allowed to carry any more passengers than there are seat belts - ie four passengers in the back of a car with three seats/seatbelts.

some old friends of mine. that's why I keep wondering if taxis r doing the same thing too..

A number of taxi's I have been in wont take any more than four people as it is illegal.

toE
01-06-2006, 06:36 PM
Have you looked at other manufacturers?

ROLLED
02-06-2006, 11:45 AM
we've had 4 guys in the back of an EK CXi before, which is legal because all the seatbelts were used. a bit squashy, but it is do-able.

did the car even move dan? im guessing you were in the front seat then? :wave: jk hahahha

Fr3aKi3
02-06-2006, 12:09 PM
Civic's would be an obvious choice
Toyota Corolla's is a good alternative, although they look to bland...
Nissan Pulsar
Mazda 323

Dylanamus
02-06-2006, 01:25 PM
Mid to late 90s Accord
Mid to late 90s Subaru Liberty
Late 90s Puegeot 306 XT
A lancer...

mugeneration
02-06-2006, 02:11 PM
Mid to late 90s Accord
Mid to late 90s Subaru Liberty

Those are actually really good options. Even if it is just for family use, get a clean one and you can do it up a little bit still if you want ;)

krogoth
02-06-2006, 02:16 PM
yeh, but the civic will own the accord and liberty in fuel efficiency, not completley own, but yool prob get an extra 70kmz+ or - from a civic

mugeneration
02-06-2006, 02:18 PM
true, but in terms of practicality for a family, a liberty wagon is a good choice. depends on what you need and your prorities are really.

|N|
02-06-2006, 02:21 PM
i say EKsedan in this case.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/nt_889/wallgrass.jpg

Zilli
02-06-2006, 02:30 PM

the fact that there are 3 seatbelts, plus if ou look at the compliance plate it will clearly state the total number of passengers you can legally carry

and im sure it will say 5

Geekstar
02-06-2006, 11:53 PM
Mazda RX-7 Series 5
R32 Skyline
180SX
EGs, EKs