PDA

View Full Version : civic engine swaps

Fo55il
02-06-2006, 06:20 AM
can anyone tell me what is the most powerful engine that i can swap my vti sohc engine for in a eg sedan widout changing mounts etc - r is it easier to turbo it?

vti-r or a type r teg engine???

integraz
02-06-2006, 08:48 AM
your engine is a D series, and i assume your car has the SOHC VTEC engine.. D16Y8?
If so, i think thats the most powerful D series engine, which is what u have...

No the vtir and type R wont be compatible because it is B series engine, so it has different engine mounts, which is what u dont want...

Turbo would be good, but type R engine would be better, than u can turbo that later hehehehe.

IMO Bseries Type R engine, it would be worth it.

Reason for not doing conversion?

VTi_b0i
02-06-2006, 08:52 AM
I also have the same car, 94 VTi sedan, and am convering to B18C, and then slamming the D16Y1, into my ED, that will be a str8 swap wont it? because both of my cars right now are D-series motors...so all ill have to do is put the b18 mounts into my EG yeh?

92DELSOL
02-06-2006, 08:56 AM
well your gonna have to change the mounts to swap a b16/18/type r engine, but the mounts will bolt straight in. so im guessing that u just dont wanna buy aftermarket mounts for the swap.
but to answer your question the most powerful is obviously the b18c5/7 type r engine.
i dont really know too much about turbos but i think it would work out cheaper to turbo what u got.

im pretty sure this would been covered before--try that lil search button at the top. u should find more.

tRipitaka
02-06-2006, 09:31 AM
No the vtir and type R wont be compatible because it is B series engine, so it has different engine mounts, which is what u dont want...
incorrect.
the b-series engine is compatible, you just have to use the mounts on the b-series engine to fit it into the eg..

the EG and the DC share the same engine bay.

Reason for not doing conversion?
have you done a conversion before ?

imo, boosting your car is the best bang for buck. you'll bolt it on, and later if you don't want it, you take it off..

doing a conversion has more chances of giving you headaches in the long run..

Fo55il
02-06-2006, 10:42 AM
.. so for a type r engine all i have to do is get new mounts... to fit the engine and all d rest should fit in... wat is d exact number of the engine and wat car is it out of ? ...

EGB16A
02-06-2006, 10:43 AM
incorrect.
the b-series engine is compatible, you just have to use the mounts on the b-series engine to fit it into the eg..

the EG and the DC share the same engine bay.

What he ment was, the B series engine isn't compatible with the D series mounts

tRipitaka
02-06-2006, 10:45 AM
.. so for a type r engine all i have to do is get new mounts... to fit the engine and all d rest should fit in... wat is d exact number of the engine and wat car is it out of ? ...
do a little searching..
the answer lies beneath the holy grail.

|N|
02-06-2006, 10:49 AM
i think u ll need more then that mate... for more info use the search function as its been done to death.. but a few things that i can think of on top of my head r wiring ... b series drive shaft. GB... ecu.... engine mount. .....maybe radiator .... but thats only the bare min. to get car going. u should really upgrade brake or even sussy.
cheers
nick la

EGB16A
02-06-2006, 10:51 AM

If you get a 1/2 cut, the mounts will already be there. "Basically" all you have to do is swap everything over. Remember that its not JUSt the engine your replacing, its the gearbox/ driveshafts/ headers etc etc etc aswell.

I'm not 100% sure about the wiring/ecu side of things, so i won't comment there.

Phamburger
02-06-2006, 11:10 AM
In regards to an Conversion for your Vti motor. Type R motor (best option)

Its a simple conversion to say the least, but THERE WILL always be lil hic-ups along the way. I.E wiring problem, mount problems, new parts would be needed as well like timing belt, changing the water pump etc etc etc.

The list goes on. Your best bet would to get a Half Cut with the gearbox and wiring intact, less headache that way!

Remember you also have to weight in the extra cost involve with addition parts needed, the labor (unless your doing a DIY), Fluids, and sourcing a "good" half cut. The process isn't smooth sailing i promise u that, there will be lil problems along the way!

Just my 2 cents mate :). Best of luck i hope you follow through with this plan. Btw www.honda-tech.com (http://www.honda-tech.com) is a great source for conversion information.

type one
02-06-2006, 12:00 PM
i think the best bfyb swap is the H22A.... its cheaper than an R block for block and provides more power.

it gives u less room to wiggle around... but should also be considered if you are considering a swap.

EGB16A
02-06-2006, 12:04 PM
i think the best bfyb swap is the H22A.... its cheaper than an R block for block and provides more power.

it gives u less room to wiggle around... but should also be considered if you are considering a swap.

to heavy on the front end, and only easy if you get the H2B bellhousing

anyway
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30312

^^^ that should give you quite afew ideas as to what is required for the conversion

type one
02-06-2006, 12:06 PM
its been done before and will be done again... the extra 25kg of the H22A is heavier... but who cares?

let me make a blanket statement - swaps aren't easy.

Phamburger
02-06-2006, 12:18 PM
let me make a blanket statement - swaps aren't easy.

I second that :)

barefootbonzai
02-06-2006, 12:37 PM
Yeah don't know what to say to this posts no more. This definitely belongs in the noob section.

Geekstar
03-06-2006, 12:04 AM
F20C. nah joke. I reckon B16A(JDM) or B18C(JDM), get a halfcut it saves alot of hassles. H22a might throw weight distribution off and you might have to sacrafice aircond or something cause of its size.

mugeneration
03-06-2006, 01:11 AM
Itll cost you more than the mounts mate!
- Insurance
- Upgrading brakes and ECU etc
- Oil
- Engineers certificate
- COULD be a hassle selling it. Most people think that a new engine means you've flogged the crap out of your car (and i bet theyre right! ;))

ECU-MAN
03-06-2006, 11:36 PM
to heavy on the front end, and only easy if you get the H2B bellhousing

anyway
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30312

^^^ that should give you quite afew ideas as to what is required for the conversion

pictures fixed in DIY