PDA

View Full Version : NOob: How do i lower my car

krogoth
02-06-2006, 01:56 PM
Lowering

hey guyz, i have a REALLLYYY noob question to ask, but i really wouldnt have a clue about it

how does one go about lowering their car?

adjustable coilovers? new springs? can the stok setup be adjusted to achieve less ground clearance and accomodate for new wheels?

will handling be affected after lowering? obviously there the drive will feel different coz of less ground clearance, but im asking if the stok "feel" (which i love) will be lost

PS, i tried searching, nothing makes sense, LOL

PSS, im not a 5yr old with an imaginery type R either, ROFL

SiReal
02-06-2006, 01:59 PM
you need to get some fat friends hehe :)

faijai
02-06-2006, 02:01 PM
when u change anything form stock to afermarket the "stock feel" will be lost.

mugeneration
02-06-2006, 02:10 PM
adjustable coilovers and new springs are the best way to go mate. You just adjust them to how you like them. Just replacing one or the other wont result in too good of a 'feel' from your car in most cases. Lowering your car nearly ALWAYS changes the feel of your car. This change is usually of good and bad things. Good things like a better feeling of control over the car, especially around corners. Bad things include scraping, 'stiffness' (depending on how you setup your suspension) and a bit of a rougher ride (once again, depending on wether you change to a harder or softer setup).

As for changing the stock setup, dont do it. The only way ive heard of people doing this is chopping their stock springs. Which is bad, especially if you dont like the result and want to change back to your old setup, not to mention how bad it can be for your car.

|N|
02-06-2006, 02:11 PM
change ur springs

dc2dc2dc2
02-06-2006, 02:12 PM
agreed, coilovers n new springs best way to go about its.
but if ur a broke as n1gga ; cheapest way to go about as SiReal said is get urself some chunky friends !

Fr3aKi3
02-06-2006, 02:17 PM
You could get height adjustable coilovers

Get a set of lowered springs but make sure you get some shock absorbers to match as well, as if you just get lowered spring and use standard shocks the life of the shocks is reduced.

The handling will be affected by lowering and it all depends on how much the car is lowered by. Going too low and you'll scrape the underbody of the car and you're driving habits will have to change, take going over a speed hump as an exxample. If your car is too low then there's no way of getting over a speed hump without scraping the car unless you go over it on an angle, even if you go on an angle there still a chance it'll scrape.

Whatever you do, don't get the stock springs cut to make the car lower, one of the most dangerous things you can do is cut springs.

krogoth
02-06-2006, 02:21 PM
adjustable coilovers and new springs are the best way to go mate. You just adjust them to how you like them. Just replacing one or the other wont result in too good of a 'feel' from your car in most cases. Lowering your car nearly ALWAYS changes the feel of your car. This change is usually of good and bad things. Good things like a better feeling of control over the car, especially around corners. Bad things include scraping, 'stiffness' (depending on how you setup your suspension) and a bit of a rougher ride (once again, depending on wether you change to a harder or softer setup).

As for changing the stock setup, dont do it. The only way ive heard of people doing this is chopping their stock springs. Which is bad, especially if you dont like the result and want to change back to your old setup, not to mention how bad it can be for your car.

thnx mate, id give ya +1 point if i could, LOLz

i know good coilovers can go for at least $1.5k for a set of 4, corect me if im rong

but someone mentioned springs, im guessing that its cheaper this way, although it cant be adjusted

one more thing, im seriously thinking of getting a new set of 17"z, but im worried that the car will look like a 4wd with the bigger rimz, can someone plz confirm this?

marte
02-06-2006, 02:22 PM
if you cut them there 1. illeagal. 2. very dangerous takign turns are really bumpy.

Changing your setup can provide you with a more bouncy ride.which then enables you to take turns more agressively.

mugeneration
02-06-2006, 02:26 PM
17s wont look too big. You definately wont get the 4wd effect if you lower the profile of your tyres as well. THo I'll warn you, lower profile tyres wear quicker than larger tyres (apparently, thats what they tell you when you buy them), and theyre usually more expensive. Going to bigger rims will raise your car a little bit, but not too much. When I went up to 17s it only went up a little bit, but in all honesty the car was probably too low for practicle driving in the first place anyway. Id love to lower it more though lol

Zdster
02-06-2006, 02:32 PM
Begin by reading the sticky post at the top of the noob forum - "I want to modify my car".

After you have done that check out this link:
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/car-suspension.htm
Then this site:
http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/tech/index.jsp

After all of that, come back with more questions ;).

aaronng
02-06-2006, 02:45 PM
Lowering

hey guyz, i have a REALLLYYY noob question to ask, but i really wouldnt have a clue about it

how does one go about lowering their car?

adjustable coilovers? new springs? can the stok setup be adjusted to achieve less ground clearance and accomodate for new wheels?

will handling be affected after lowering? obviously there the drive will feel different coz of less ground clearance, but im asking if the stok "feel" (which i love) will be lost

You can in order of worst to best:
1) Cut your springs. This makes your car unroadworthy and you won't pass pink slip inspections.
2) Change to lowered springs. Now your safety is not compromised. But... your stock shocks will wear out because they are working at a height that they were not designed to. For example, Accord Euro shocks die in 1 year after using lowered springs.
3) Use lowered springs with lowered shocks. This is the best compromise between price and lowering. You won't keep the stock feel and you have to look for past user experiences to choose a combo that won't bottom out or feel bumpy or floaty.
4) Coilovers. Can be adjustable or not. Coilovers used to be too harsh for the street. Every bump is transmitted into the cabin. But new coilovers can match stock comfort while lowering the car. Examples that I tried were the Tein SS and Tein Flex. Price? $1500-2000.

If it was me, I'd pick #4.

krogoth
02-06-2006, 02:58 PM
thanx heeps for all the replies guys

its a great help

id love coilovers, BUT, i go to uni and uni = broke, LOL

godamit
02-06-2006, 03:02 PM
not too sure if this is the right place to post but I read that there will be some creaking noise after changing suspension for the euro. Can anyone verfiy this? :confused:

aaronng
02-06-2006, 03:19 PM
not too sure if this is the right place to post but I read that there will be some creaking noise after changing suspension for the euro. Can anyone verfiy this? :confused:
Could be creaking from the bushings, from the rear sway or from the parcel shelf.
The parcel shelf one becomes worse with just an increase in tyre pressure.

quangsta
03-06-2006, 02:04 AM
could be ust simply not tightening ur suspension tops down tight enough allowing room for play hence the constant noise....