PDA

View Full Version : 2.5" exhaust with 2.25muffler inlet

taizon
04-06-2006, 08:53 AM
hey guys,

ive gotta 2.5" exhaust system.. with a cannon atm..
which is too loud for my liking.
im plannin to change the muff and replace it with a twinloop muffler to reduce the sound. (or plz recommend me any other muffler i can use to reduce the sound, also on a tight budget)

question is. if i replace the muffler with the 2.25 inlet on the 2.5" exhaust system, will i be restricting a lot of power?
i stil want the performance, just dramatically reducing the noise levels.

thanks

Nuttz
04-06-2006, 09:38 AM
firstly what motor do you have? is it turbo?
if its anything smaller than 1.8 litre or without a turbo, you may find you gain a little bit of torque when you restrict the exhaust. THe 2.5" system is big for a 1.6 litre motor.

if you have a 1.8 and higher, your top end will probably lose a bit of power.
If you have a turbo, it will take longer to reach full boost.

hope that help :)

taizon
04-06-2006, 04:21 PM
Dc2r.. so 1.8L

so..ur sayin.. from wat is it now.. if i reduce the muffler to a 2.25 inlet.. i will lose a bit of power or gain a lil?? compared to havin the whole system all 2.5"

BiLL|z0r
04-06-2006, 04:27 PM
I always thought a 2.25" was the ideal size for a 1.8ltr anyway. I doubt you'll notice any difference, maybe even gain some torque down low. You could the the exhaust fitter to slightly widen the 2.25" muffler inlet and shink the 2.5" outlet (if they can do that) so it's more graduale which would be best for air flow.

krogoth
04-06-2006, 05:00 PM
I always thought a 2.25" was the ideal size for a 1.8ltr anyway. I doubt you'll notice any difference, maybe even gain some torque down low. You could the the exhaust fitter to slightly widen the 2.25" muffler inlet and shink the 2.5" outlet (if they can do that) so it's more graduale which would be best for air flow.

2.5" system is too big for a non turbo engine

2.25" is fine, as stated above u wont lose power, u may gain some torque, but dont get ur hopes up

im not sure, but i dont think changing the inlet to 2.25" is goin to affect noise level too much, it will be less, but i dont think itll be a significant drop

and u can pik up some generic rear muff with a 2.25" inlet for $300 installed

taizon
04-06-2006, 05:14 PM
the 2.5" piping sorta came with the car.. so cant realli do much unless i change thewhole system.. but im on a tight budget so i cant do that..

anyother DC2r owners here using a 2.5" exhaust system???
is it too big?.. just right?..

EK4R
04-06-2006, 05:36 PM
i have twinloop on my b18 atm, i'ved heard its better off runin a 2.5" also. would like to know why also

krogoth
04-06-2006, 06:29 PM
In a car with a turbo, compressed air is fed into each cylinder and burned, because its compressed air that is at a higher pressure than normal air, it means more air is in one cubic meter than usaul

more air in a cylinder, means more fuel is needed for combustion, therefore creating more exhaust gases, thats why a 3" zorst setup is recomended for cars with turbo so the exhaust gases can flow out more easily and less energy is lost trying to force the huge amounts of gas through a smaller setup such as a 2.25"

since u got an 1.8L non turbo engine, 2.25" should be plenty, IMO, 2.5" is overkill,(unless u got heaps of mods other than turbo) correct me of im rong but stok integraz dont come with a 2.25" setup, the stok is smaller, thats y u can pik up some extra power with the larger piping, but 2.5" IMO is unnecesarry and ull prob only get more noise and not more power

taizon
04-06-2006, 11:41 PM
From what i have read in this forum.. stock dc2r is 2.25 mandrel bent piping..
so.. im assuming the jump to 2.5 wouldn b too bad?????

anyone else??

tRipitaka
04-06-2006, 11:43 PM
i believe aftermarket catbacks for dc2r's come as 2.5inch..
and the stock dc2r comes 2.25inch stock..

the jdm dc2r extractors, i believe are 2.5inch.. and have proven gains so i don't think 2.5inch is bad for the dc2r..

krogoth
05-06-2006, 12:01 AM
i believe aftermarket catbacks for dc2r's come as 2.5inch..
and the stock dc2r comes 2.25inch stock..

the jdm dc2r extractors, i believe are 2.5inch.. and have proven gains so i don't think 2.5inch is bad for the dc2r..

i agree

a 2.5" setup wont cause any harm, but it is unlikely that there will be much gain either

2.5", IMO, is large, but if the dc2r comes stok with 2.25 then i guess it makes sense to go to 2.5"

but thats the dc2r, which is a performance car, are all the other integraz stok 2.25"?

Taizon, I think u wont lose any power if u do change the muff inlet to a 2.25", BUT that is wat i think, ask a professional, some mechanic u trust

taizon
05-06-2006, 12:26 AM
yeh.. thats what im thinkin too.. dont wanna lose any power. just wanna reduce the noise..

might hav to find a twinloop muff with a 2.5 inlet.. or mayb put in a resonator..

anyway.. thanks for the info guys.. will be goin to see an exhaust shop tomorw

by the way. i think other dc2's hav 2" piping..

tRipitaka
05-06-2006, 12:30 AM
your exhaust is only as good as its weakest link.

Mashimaro
05-06-2006, 01:00 AM
What cannon do you have on the end? I have xforce s10 twin loop 2.5" on my dc2r i might be willing to trade you (axle back pipe + muffler). And how loud is loud? PM me please if you're interested.

Nuttz
06-06-2006, 09:12 PM
you should have put this into the interga section. i reckon you would have got better answers from the ppl there.

THe integra type-R was tuned from factory. With the 2.5" system put on you would have gained some power in teh higher rev range. But you would also have lost some in the bottom end.