PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Crx running WAY too rich

BiGANG
04-06-2006, 09:26 PM
hey guys,

My crx 89 model (D16A8 engine) is running way too rich can anyone suggest what the problem could be? Im only getting 300km out of a full tank and you can smell the unburnt fuel coming from the exhaust. My money is on the o2 sensor but I wanted to know whether there is anything else i should be looking at. Checked plugs, got new leads and running PULP fuel and the car has stock engine. So any suggestions would be appreciated.

dsp26
04-06-2006, 09:42 PM
you need a dyno graph with A/F ratios so we can look at a pattern to more closely identify the problem.

without knowing the actual problem, the the 2 most common things to cause RICHNESS are :
- Bung 02 sensor
- Bung Factory FPR

***EDIT***
a bung AFM is another one but not sure if your car has one....

regardless you really need an A/F graph for it to be accurately diagnosed....

ECU-MAN
04-06-2006, 10:54 PM
another common thing that causes your engine to run rich is a blocked air filter

check your ECU for codes

BiGANG
05-06-2006, 02:56 PM
no codes from the ecu and i cleaned the filter last service and it made no visible difference to the cars fuel consumption. (its a K&N pod).

so would FPR make that much diff in how the car is running?

barefootbonzai
05-06-2006, 03:12 PM
yep FPR would make a huge difference. that the main thing that controls the amount of fuel getting through to your injectors

pkn-xtc
05-06-2006, 03:42 PM
A dirty EGR valve could cause your car to be running rich.
Check your ignition timing to see if its still at factory setting. Should be at 18 degrees from factory for a D16?

dsp26
05-06-2006, 07:14 PM
no codes from the ecu and i cleaned the filter last service and it made no visible difference to the cars fuel consumption. (its a K&N pod).

so would FPR make that much diff in how the car is running?

Did you change anything on the fuel system??

an AFPR could fix the problem... however i thought this with a mates 20v 4AGE which temporarily fixed the problem.. though we reduced pressure.. re-dynoing showed that A/Fs improved but it was still the same consistent pattern on a dyno graph but a bit healthier. the sudden dip was caused by a dying AFM.

i strongly suggest you spend the $50 to get 3 power runs & A/F ratio at the closest/soonest dyno day as your graph will tell you lpenty and i'm sure the operator will tell you plenty to.

If your in Sydney i highly recommend Joe from Hi-Comp Performance in Minchinbury just off Great Western Highway. they hold monthly Dyno days....

***EDIT***
actually you know what... just get it dynoed... AFPRs are temporary fixes PERIOD!!! could very well still be your O2 sensor too. we reeeeaaaallly have to see the A/F curve to be able to make an over-the-internet diagnosis though i'm sure the operator will tell you beforehand if he is even half reputable.......

BiGANG
05-06-2006, 08:57 PM
i already got an o2 sensor so im gonna put that in soon and see how we go. If the problem isnt fixed then i would consider chucking it on a dyno. we will see anyway.

Just a question. If the FPR is rooted wouldnt it have to pressurise the fuel rail more to force fuel into the engine? When the FPR is rooted i thought they would i guess 'leak' pressure back to the fuel tank instead of hold more pressure. So i guess my question is when the fpr stuffs up does it just close and hold heaps of pressure?

dsp26
05-06-2006, 09:02 PM
^^^ FPR spring is just like a thermostat. when it gets rooted it can either be closed or open... speaking of spring, its also vacuum controlled... may wanna check the vac line while your at it... let us know how it goes :thumbsup: