PDA

View Full Version : gearbox oil question..??

xcwizit
05-06-2006, 12:30 AM
I just want to know wat gearbox oil do you guys recommend for my Civic Ek1 Vti?
Also, i want to know how do i change the gearbox oil & where is it located in the engine bay..??

CHEERS GUYS!!

Limbo
05-06-2006, 12:42 AM
use OEM honda gear oil. Its located at the bottom of the gearbox, theres a sump bolt.

aimre
05-06-2006, 12:46 AM
Use honda oil....

all this accesed from underneath
on the Gbox, there should be two bolts, one at the bottom and one about halfway up in the side.
(Sorry i dont have pics)

Remove the side and bottom one, oil will out out the bottomw.

Once this finishes, close the bootom one, and add oil in the side one till it spills out. Thats when its full.

This is the only pic i could find... bu**** on a VW

http://www.reluctantmechanic.com/images/gearbox_oil_leakout.jpg

Just to give u an idea...

aaronng
05-06-2006, 01:07 AM
http://ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35408

xcwizit
05-06-2006, 01:50 AM
yehhh good help guys!!!
i need a foto of where the gearbox is in the EK not a b16a engined car!

HONDA OEM gear box oil eyzz...
is there anything else i can use? can u buy any from autobarn or supacheap??

aaronng
05-06-2006, 02:38 AM
Uhhh.. you don't know where the gearbox is!?!??!?!?! Look down into the engine bay. On the left and at the bottom of the block is the large longish gearbox. It's similar to the b16a engine.

Take off your right wheel, you should be able to see the drain and fill plugs. One plug is a normal hex bolt, while the other is a 3/8" square drive.

Why would you want to use anything else other than Honda MTF? MTF is $15 per litre. Get 3 just in case you spill some.

muhhan
05-06-2006, 09:02 AM
I thought that the Honda fluids would be expensive too but when I checked with other brands the prices were about the same. If you buy Honda fluids then you can be gauranteed that it is the right one for your car instead of trying to guess which one of the many products sitting on the shelf MIGHT be the right one. Go to a Honda dealer and they will help you with the fluids.

Limbo
05-06-2006, 09:27 AM
if you can't find the gearbox it might be better to let a mechanic do it so you don't stuff up. Just watch him and then you can do it next time. I'd supply him with 3 bottles of honda gear oil, just to make sure he does it properly.

Honda oil from Honda.

xcwizit
05-06-2006, 12:50 PM
Limbo, u sed use Honda OEM oil. But then u (aaronng) sed use MTF oil...
whats the difference between OEM and MTF??

aaronng
05-06-2006, 01:13 PM
Limbo, u sed use Honda OEM oil. But then u (aaronng) sed use MTF oil...
whats the difference between OEM and MTF??
They are the same. Since we are talking about tranmission fluid (gearbox oil), Limbo probably meant to buy Honda-branded gearbox oil.

Honda MTF = Honda manual transmission fluid. When you go to buy it from the dealer, you ask for Honda MTF. Otherwise they don't know whether to give you Honda engine oil, manual transmission fluid or auto transmission fluid.

barefootbonzai
05-06-2006, 03:45 PM
In your case i think it's a job that should be left for the professionals.