PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Filter or Fuel Pump???

TECDUP
05-06-2006, 01:20 PM
I have a dc2 vtir and i could start my car the other day...RACV Road side assistance come out and got it started for me by tapping onto the bottom of what i think was the fuel tank, I dont know how this got it to start but it did.
The car started and straight away the guy told me it was my fuel pump. Now i have heard that Shell Optimax is dirty fuel so just recently i have switched to BP Ultimate (ran tank empty before switching).
So...i have a few questions i would like someone to answer for me please:

How would the RACV guy tapping on the bottom of my fuel tank (i think) help my car to start???

Does the fact that my car wouldnt start have anything to do with my switch in fuel???

Is there a way to determine if the problem is my fuel pump about to go, or if it is just a fuel filter???

my car has done almost 170xxxkms, another couple of weeks and itll be there, is this a general thing that is it is the fuel pump, they last about 170xxx??? guessing that it is still original oem from new
any help will do, thanks guys
Robert

dsp26
05-06-2006, 01:35 PM
what the hell??? HOW did he "tap" it??? and with what and whereabouts???

if it is in fact your fuel pump... tapping it would have the same affect as tapping a starter motor with dead brushes.

either the contacts are ****ed... the actual pump is rooted or the bottom of your tank is full of dirt....

you would discover this by taking it out from under the backseat.

now actual Integra gurus, correct me if i'm wrong but a fuel pump error would have thrown an ecu error code....

TECDUP
05-06-2006, 01:49 PM
he hit it with the torch that he was using to find ..........(whatever it was)? i am guessing it was the fuel tank because it was pretty much directly underneath the rear seats...

aaronng
05-06-2006, 01:53 PM
If your car is due for a refresher, I'd change both the fuel pump and fuel filter. The fuel filter is bloody easy to replace. I'm not sure about the fuel pump though.

Edit: Fuel pump replacement looks pretty straightforward too: http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto/fuelpump/fuelpump.php

destrukshn
05-06-2006, 05:47 PM
fuel pump replacement is quite easy.
shouldn't take you too long at all.

CRXer
05-06-2006, 06:06 PM
correct me if i'm wrong but a fuel pump error would have thrown an ecu error code....

Fuel pump is not monitored by ecu,just controlled by it via the main relay.
It might throw a code if the pump was stuttering or similar,but this would be detected by the knock or O2 sensors telling u got poor fuel delivery(code 43)when the engine is running obviously.

TECDUP
06-06-2006, 12:52 AM
thanks guys...
but the question is:

How would the RACV guy tapping on the bottom of my fuel tank (i think) help my car to start???

Does the fact that my car wouldnt start have anything to do with my switch in fuel???

Is there a way to determine if the problem is my fuel pump about to go, or if it is just a fuel filter???

my car has done almost 170xxxkms, another couple of weeks and itll be there, is this a general thing(if it is the fuel pump), that they last about 170xxx??? guessing that it is still original oem from new

panda[cRx]
06-06-2006, 12:29 PM
i wouldnt take what the racv says as gospel, half of their reports we find to be incorrect and seem to just be listed to justify their job

it does sound like the fuel filter to me but if you want a proper diagnosis feel free to bring it into us at Travis Honda as i see u r in SE melb (we're in seaford/frankston)

you can gimme a call on 9786 1022 for more details (ask for Laurence in service)

dsp26
06-06-2006, 01:11 PM
thanks guys...
but the question is:

my car has done almost 170xxxkms, another couple of weeks and itll be there, is this a general thing(if it is the fuel pump), that they last about 170xxx??? guessing that it is still original oem from new

i was right... works like a starter motor...

Fuel pump brushes are worn. The shock made them contact the stator again... will die randomly now. Change it ASAP!!

I had this with my Commodore... would thump the pump with the club lock and it would run for about 4 blocks then die again.... made it to my mate's place eventually where I changed the pump.

Checked voltage at the pump motor & for bad earth?
Crushed, bent, squeezzed or internally corroded fuel supply line?
Blocked filter?