PDA

View Full Version : How did you get insurance?

man.exe
04-05-2004, 09:10 AM
Ok, I've read in the other previous posts regarding car insurance of various cars. There are some fellas here who claim that they only pay $600-$900. Is that for comp insurance? How did you do it?

I've just got a teg VTiR and I've called up everywhere and nobody will cover anyone under 25. I am 24, but I can't even get a third party insurance under my pop's name and mention that I am a driver. This is crazy!

I don't know how you guys do it, some ITR ppl seem to have no problems. Please help! I've called AMMI, Allianz, and insurers hotline, etc.

[[d a n n y]]
04-05-2004, 09:26 AM
try NRMA,AAMI insured me and also. just cars

i am with just cars and i pay only 1.9g's for my car full compo

mine is a b16a powered EG and i am 19.

Chi
04-05-2004, 10:57 AM
I think GIO has good insurance cover try ringing them.

I dotn see how you cant get insurance cover, even Danny can get it.

TOYOL
04-05-2004, 11:48 AM
RACV is really good. Fast payments and cheap too.

Crinos
04-05-2004, 12:06 PM
I only pay $790 for a 96 Integra VTi-R... and I'm 22...

I'm with RACT, and I did an under-25s driving course which gave me a 60% no-claim bonus(rating one), plus I've been driving for 3 or so years... Funny thing is I paid $700 for my Daihatsu Applause last year... so for $90 more I am fully insuring an Integra... I'm sure you can guess which one goes better... :)

Irriven
04-05-2004, 12:26 PM
atm i'm 18 and i have a 94 teg gsi it's easier to get insured then the vti'r but shouldn't be too different in the price i'm with racv and i pay $1200 full comp (victoria) something you can try doing which is what i did was if your parents have multiple policies with a company eg home contents other cars insurance with a single company tell them that and ask for a multiple policy discount ( aami wont do it) but RACV will....they also put me on rateing 2 or 3 because of it only thing is if i have an accident (my fault) i go back to rating 5 straight off..hope that helps

man.exe
04-05-2004, 01:30 PM
thanks for the replies,

That RACT sounds good. But isn't RACT for tassie? and RACV for victoria?

I tried CGU, AMMI, NRMA... unfortunate so far. The operator on the phone don't seem interested in you if you mention that you're under 25. :evil:

Comeon guys, I only got the car few days ago and Ican't drive my car yet! If I can't insure it then I might have to sell it... :x

BTW I'd rather crash my car once a year ($1000 dollars worth) than to do comp insurance that cost $1~$2K per year.

Crinos
04-05-2004, 02:11 PM
thanks for the replies,

That RACT sounds good. But isn't RACT for tassie? and RACV for victoria?

I tried CGU, AMMI, NRMA... unfortunate so far. The operator on the phone don't seem interested in you if you mention that you're under 25. :evil:

Comeon guys, I only got the car few days ago and Ican't drive my car yet! If I can't insure it then I might have to sell it... :x

BTW I'd rather crash my car once a year ($1000 dollars worth) than to do comp insurance that cost $1~$2K per year.

Yeah, I should have mentioned that the RACT thing was only relevant in Tassie...

If you don't want to pay through the nose, wait until you're over 25 to drive a sporty car... I think it's as simple as that...

vince
04-05-2004, 02:20 PM

If that is the case then why don't u get get 3rd party insurance? I'm with Just cars paying $2268 for an ITR.

Weq
04-05-2004, 02:24 PM
Insurance depends on company, and your area that u live in. something in sydney can be anywhere from $100-$1000 cheaper in other states. Im with justcars, 20years old, rating 4 and pay $1800 for my '94 Civic VTi \w unlimited legal mods.. For comparisions sake, AAMMI were going to give me rating 1 and still charge me $2100 for an UNMODDED civic.

[[d a n n y]]
04-05-2004, 02:25 PM
nah...why dont u just dont drive ....save money.. :P

nah...j/ks

just go 3rd party if u dont wanna pay that much

type one
04-05-2004, 03:21 PM
i'm 25 and have ITR full comp with AAMI (but they onyl allow me 3 mods :( ) for $880

I'm surprised that you haven;t been able to get insurance UNLESS you have had no previous policy... cos i have had a car in my name since i was 18... so i am now rating one for life with AAMI...

BUT i had ITR under mum's name for 5 years with GIO... and insurance was ard $1k? no mods...

shrug... just cars is your last bet... they will insure a donkey with a go kart...

K3NstyL
04-05-2004, 04:16 PM
hehe, you got it easy justcars wanted $4100 to insure me... no rating, minimal modifications, never had comp before. 22 year old. I need policy to get a loan... :(

Ironfist
04-05-2004, 04:20 PM
Yeah depends where you live.

I'm 22 and rating one with RACV... been that for 1 year. I pay $1400 a year

Being 24 and your not able to get insurance sounds like your not telling us everything.

As for crashing your car once a year... if you did that... you'd have to pay more every year and you'd increase your rating. Then finally no car insurance place will insure you.

$1000 dollers worth of damage ain't much damage at all. For instance my friend with a euro accord accidentally reversed into his mums lexus. Not much damage, only 2 rear bumpers worth, but it costed him a bit over $1k, looked mint afterwards. (she had reverse sensors which might have upped the price)

skoota
04-05-2004, 04:34 PM
I'm 21 and got several quotes for a '99 VTi-R Tegg in Victoria. AAMI who currently insures my Civic would not insure me with a Tegg. However, GIO with agreed value of $27k quoted me at $2,600. That was the most expensive with a rating 3. Just Cars however quoted me at $1,500 with a rating 2 with value of purchase - 20k.

It all depends on your driving history and were the car will be located and whether it will be secure etc... I'm very surprised that you being a 24 year old are finding it hard to insure a bloody DC2.

If you've had your license cancelled or numerous speeding fines etc... well then that's your answer dude - but with a car like this I think you have no alternative then to get full comp. Third party is only around for shit boxes IMO.

[ slayer ]
04-05-2004, 05:44 PM
im 21, got quotes from evey insurance company in the phone book, and found just cars to be the cheapest and racv the most expensive. i got full comprehensive cover including work use for my crx for $2,200 (but im only rating 5 due to break-ins and stuff)... but could get cover for bout $1500 with only private use

just ring around, someone will insure u, just be persistant and call em all

man.exe
04-05-2004, 05:59 PM
BUT i had ITR under mum's name for 5 years with GIO... and insurance was ard $1k? no mods...

But they won't cover u if you're at fault in an accident right?

[ slayer ]
04-05-2004, 06:03 PM
you are covered, if you have comprehensive.
3rd party only covers the other person

wynode
04-05-2004, 06:58 PM

But they won't cover u if you're at fault in an accident right?

You have to pay another excess if an unnamed driver was driving it.

However, if they prove that you (the unnamed driver) is driving the car all the time, then they could refuse the claim. Depending on the car/circumstanes some insurance companies in the past have gone around and asked neighbours who drives the car most.

BTW, just cars isn't pay by the month are they? AFAIK only NRMA will insure you AND let you pay by the month?

man.exe
04-05-2004, 07:23 PM
Well.. I might go for JustCar insurance. $572 third party with my younger brother (22) covered.

I'll just have to install a bloody good alarm/immobiliser

Mr Wendal
04-05-2004, 07:25 PM
I'm 21 and got several quotes for a '99 VTi-R Tegg in Victoria. AAMI who currently insures my Civic would not insure me with a Tegg. However, GIO with agreed value of $27k quoted me at $2,600. That was the most expensive with a rating 3. Just Cars however quoted me at $1,500 with a rating 2 with value of purchase - 20k.

hey all.. first time poster here :o

I got a 99 vtir teg, found insurance with RACV... rating 3...full comp for $1,350... im 24 and they've got the car insured for $28,600! didnt pay anywhere near that. and yeah just cars quoted me $1,500 as well. RACV said that when i turn 25 i'll only pay around $850.

anyway.. good luck finding a decent quote!

cheebye
04-05-2004, 07:34 PM
I'm 27, DC5R, 04 model. Rating 1, full comp with aami for $970 per year.

skoota
04-05-2004, 07:41 PM
Hey Wyn, JustCars only allow for upfront payments. No monthly or 6 monthly payments etc...