PDA

View Full Version : saving money on car audio

OzSir2
05-06-2006, 11:18 PM
What do you guys do to save money on car audio?
First of all I did my intallation myself which saved a lot of money.
I bought most components 2nd hand (ebay / trading post) which were in good condition.
I bought 2 10" subs (trading post) of which the foam deteriorated over the year so I got these reconditioned and they are as good as new.
I bought 2 quality amps (ebay and caraudioaustralia.com.au?) which are in perfect working order.
I bought 6" splits new but on sale at the shop.
I bought my HU at Cash Converters and stacker from my brother.
I used industrial wire for my amp power cables.
I used wood that I acquired for free for my sub box and covered it with laminex and mirrored perspex left over from a building renovation.
I used cd covers instead of perspex to cover the crossovers in the doors.
I used 12v rope light from bunnings instead of flex glo (or similar) for some lighting.
I used cold room sealant inside the doors for sound deadener (I don't know if this is worthwhile however).
It would be interesting to know what other people do to save money.

bungsai
05-06-2006, 11:28 PM
ahahah wow dude you got the whole budget thing down to a T.

ummm i save alot of money because i have awesome friends.

30 Metres of Speaker wire that a friends dad got from his work - Free
12" Kicker Subbie as a birthday present from my closest friends - Free
40% Discount on my head unit because i had a friend that had a friend that works at JB Hifi.
My friend sold me his 4 X 50 Jaycar amp - $100
My friend bought my old amp off me.
50% off wiring at JB Hifi - friends.
Install i did myself with some friends.
Jaycar gear cheap...because of friends.

xgsir
06-06-2006, 10:28 PM
bungsai u lots of connections!!

rhys_main
06-06-2006, 10:35 PM
Yeah mate,
it really helps to have friends in the right places/right jobs!
I saved a heap cause the Blaupunkt annual sale was on just before i started my system!
All their stuff was goin for about a 1/3 of rrp!
I got my amps and wiring at a CRAZY price through friends workin at an auto joint. (i won't name for their sake)
Sub: 'new season' sale! scored a sony xplode 'turbo' sub in sony box for less than the cone alone is going for now
Did the install myself which also saves a fair bit of $$$

Slow96GSR
07-06-2006, 07:38 AM
I save 1 of 3 ways... Sales, having wholesale accounts and hook-ups, and sponsors.

DC5TYPER
07-06-2006, 07:13 PM
I work for a company that sell car audio. So I get cost price and I was a Work Shop Manager so I know how to fit car audio. Think of the saving there! Plus connections from distributors and fellow auto shop mates.

chunky
07-06-2006, 07:17 PM
lol lmao wahhhhhhh dude im speechless

92DELSOL
07-06-2006, 10:17 PM
JEEEZ!!! u took it to the extreme!!

if i want good qualty car audio gear at a good price i would go straight to jaycar and buy some Response stuff! that is the best value for money BY FAR!! its just a shame they dont make head units...yet

mj3610
08-06-2006, 06:55 PM
buying decent stuff from the start will save u a shitload of money and hassel...

ICACHA
08-06-2006, 09:01 PM
not to mention getting the system designed and installed by people who know audio, not the boys down the street who are talked about as mates who know nothing about audio, just 6x9's and subs man :p

vtec_jet
08-06-2006, 09:58 PM
working for JB HI FI waz greatt ..... all my equipment cost price.. LOL

6" JL splits
6x9 JL speakers
JVC MP3/WMA/SD CARD SLOT headunit
Pioneer 4 channel amp
Pioneer Mono Block
all wiring and extra bits ...

installation done by best mate who installs car audio, free.. he he he!

oh and just bought 2 JL w0 12" subz for unda 100 bux ... condition is 2nd hand and alright, still needz a lil work done but should be ok ... purchased this from a new mate of mine.. hehe ;)

i have prolly spent jus unda $1000 on car audio...

tRipitaka
08-06-2006, 10:00 PM
http://img131.imageshack.us/img131/6370/tfr610super9gl.gif

SPL77Civic
14-06-2006, 10:00 AM
Sponsorship has saved me a shit load ;) :p

aimre
14-06-2006, 07:32 PM
Pics?

SPL77Civic
14-06-2006, 08:39 PM
Pics?

pic of "sub box" just before we sprayed it black.
http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/3984/ddstickerlocation8wc.th.jpg

view thru front windscreen

http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/3875/dscf21021xa.jpg

that'll do.

FYI:

Thanks to a sponsorship deal with Digital Designs the car will run 2 99 series 18" subs and 2 Z1 monoblock amps (3000rms @ 1ohm on 12.5v) as well as a yet to be released battery and sound deadener.

About $12000 worth of gear, for much much less. (no not for free)

I am still waiting on my 2nd sub and 2 amps.

Fr3aKi3
14-06-2006, 09:23 PM
^^^

been following that on CAA
It'd be great to see what it'll do!!! :thumbsup:

SPL77Civic
14-06-2006, 10:14 PM
True, who are you on CAA?

It will burp one day..........one day.....

Fr3aKi3
14-06-2006, 10:49 PM
I have the same username as it is here, I don't really post that much though. I'm mostly there to read and learn. Learnt a lot from being the typical Pioneer/Alpine/Kenwood person to realising the mass of products out there.

Just thinking back and how much i've already spent yet I'm nowhere near completing what i want... car audio is addictive... lol
bloody eats up your pocket like theres no tomorrow.....

I love the interior retrim and "paint work" on the car, lol
Have you tried to do a max speed run just for the fun of it? Would probably be able to do it on local roads considering how much weight has been added :p

Anyways mate, goodluck with the rest of the project. One heck of a crazy job and hope you get the numbers you want, if not better!!! :D

Limbo
15-06-2006, 11:33 AM
Got mine done at DSire4 Sound they gave me a good deal.

Only problem is that someone later on thought it was a good deal and took the sub, amp, rear speakers & custom parcel tray from me! bloody !@#*@)$(&!@$

Otherwise i had good sound for over 1 1/2 yrs........

Now i dun have subs anymore just a good deck & speakers.

JaCe
15-06-2006, 12:24 PM
I dunno about you guys but JB have some really good offers atm in their car audio catalogue which came out about a week or so ago?... thinking of upgrading my sister's Terios (which currently has a stock HU with 2 crappy speakers with no treble and no bass).

Fhrx
15-06-2006, 03:21 PM
I own and run a car audio store; that is how I keep my audio costs down below six figures.;)