PDA

View Full Version : Mugen or Type R?

Zdster
06-06-2006, 05:57 PM
Wanted to get peoples thoughts on the two types of pedal sets available. The grip on the mugen ones look like sandpaper and would be very easy to grip with shoes (although i would hate to think what it does to bare feet). The mugen pedals unlike the civic type r also need to be attached to the existing pedals (I assume you would have to screw through the stock pedal and attach the mugen ones over the top?).

On the other hand the civic type r pedal set is a complete replacement set, but I am not sure how much grip you get out of them (as they are only small black pads)? Furthermore, over time do they start to look a little mangled as the black pads wear down.

So, which would you choose (considering they are of relatively the same cost)?

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/4387/pedals7no.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
(Image curtosey of JDMYard)

http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/5809/mugen7lu.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Also, what dead pedal can be used to replace the existing black one in an ek as I dont think either the type r or mugen seats come with a replacement?

timofytit
06-06-2006, 06:12 PM
They need to have the rubber grips on them to be legal, and also your car has to come out with metal pedals for you to be able to upgrade from factory. RACQ refused an insurance claim on my old car because i had MONZA pedals, and under the act, its not legal.

philBo
06-06-2006, 06:16 PM
hey mike, the mugen ones i think would be a better replacement. ek9 has mentioned in the past that it gets a bit slipperly sometimes with his pedals, so the mugen would be more practical in that sense.

chunky
06-06-2006, 06:19 PM
ill go for the type r

egSi
06-06-2006, 06:28 PM
neither mike? lol

Zdster
06-06-2006, 06:59 PM
neither mike? lol

Thanks Trav, that was helpful :p.

hey mike, the mugen ones i think would be a better replacement. ek9 has mentioned in the past that it gets a bit slipperly sometimes with his pedals, so the mugen would be more practical in that sense.

I do like the mugen ones, but wasnt to keen on drilling into the pedal :(. Interesting to note about the slipperiness of the pedals though ;).

They need to have the rubber grips on them to be legal, and also your car has to come out with metal pedals for you to be able to upgrade from factory. RACQ refused an insurance claim on my old car because i had MONZA pedals, and under the act, its not legal.

Wow. Thanks for that info. Will check with my local road authority now :).

mugeneration
06-06-2006, 07:16 PM
If you wanna hang around for a bit I'll be putting together a DIY for how to make your own custom pedals? Although if not i say go mugen.

I made these pedals in my avatar, but there are an infinate amount of designs possible.

Zdster
06-06-2006, 07:20 PM
If you wanna hang around for a bit I'll be putting together a DIY for how to make your own custom pedals? Although if not i say go mugen.

I made these pedals in my avatar, but there are an infinate amount of designs possible.

Cool. Would like to see what you have done.

I checked out the VicRoads website and cant seem to find any information about pedals and their legality. Would anyone know what the state code is like? I will probably give them a call tomorrow - although how far I get is another question all together.

mugeneration
06-06-2006, 07:24 PM
No probs, another member (I dont know if he wants me to mention him or not) of this forum is in the process of following the draft I wrote up, just waiting for pictures from his job (as i forgot to take them during mine). DIYs are so much better using pictures. My DIY about how to install M3 mirrors didnt go down too well without them lol.

cbr900
06-06-2006, 07:53 PM
umm optimax will make ur car go faster yea pick that one

tRipitaka
06-06-2006, 07:58 PM
umm optimax will make ur car go faster yea pick that one
+PQ for you :rolleyes:

go with mugen mike..
be different...

simbadda54
06-06-2006, 10:28 PM
go on ebay and buy one of those flashing LED ones with no grip. they r better

Felix
06-06-2006, 11:08 PM
seriously. Who looks at their pedals!

timofytit
06-06-2006, 11:27 PM
seriously. Who looks at their pedals!

CYCLISTS???.......And RACQ Insurance People

Qwooootz
06-06-2006, 11:42 PM
id go get the type R ones man, they look standard as is, and doubt these RACQ or cops can tell whether it is factory or not:confused: maby lol..
anyways it is not a pedal placed on top of the pedal like the mugen ones, so yeah?

anyone know the difficulty in putting the type R ones on to a EM1? and are the s2000 and type R ones similar? How much do these babies go for?

jazz
06-06-2006, 11:52 PM
I would go for the Mugen pedal........it grips your shoes like sandpaper(hint: do not step on it with the bare foot) You do not need to screw through the stock pedal though

wassup
07-06-2006, 09:27 AM
Most 'over the peddle' replacements dont require drilling of the existing peddles.. theyve usually got long tabs on the back that clip onto the existing peddles.

Mugen always makes good quality stuff.. but a full replacement (Type R) would be nicer.

For me? i wouldnt bother... like osmeone else said... who looks at them? and its not really going to improve anything either!

panda[cRx]
07-06-2006, 06:20 PM
Cool. Would like to see what you have done.

I checked out the VicRoads website and cant seem to find any information about pedals and their legality. Would anyone know what the state code is like? I will probably give them a call tomorrow - although how far I get is another question all together.

you do need the rubber covers man :thumbdwn:

even for rwc we need to replace pads that have cracked or worn down to metal.

Zdster
07-06-2006, 06:24 PM
']you do need the rubber covers man :thumbdwn:

even for rwc we need to replace pads that have cracked or worn down to metal.

So you cant put metal pedals on at all? What about the ctr ones? They have a bit of rubber on them? :p

krogoth
07-06-2006, 07:18 PM
ive had my monzas for 7months now, half metal half rubber, wen they get wet, it is very dangerous, as good as metal pedals look, dont get them if u got a manual unless u keep a towel for ur pedals in the car

ive also had them for ages and no one has said anything yet, chances are that the cops that do look in my car, mostly during breath tests dont even realise that metal pedals are illegal and besides most of the time its so difficult for someone who is outside the car to c the pedals

as for wat pedals, go for the mugenz, coz they can be removed if needed, and they look better IMO

ROLLED
08-06-2006, 09:34 AM
hey Zdster, the civic type-R ones look exactly like the s2000 pedals. The rubber bits dont really wear down...go for them! Like when your shoes are wet etc. you still get grip on the pedals from the rubber bits! ;)