PDA

View Full Version : How do you tell a ATTS?

skoota
04-05-2004, 04:39 PM
I've been looking to get an upgrade in a Honda - two options, 98-99 DC2 VTi-R, or get a last gen Prelude VTi-R. Now some of these ludes I've seen have been VTi-R ATTS. Now my query is that the 99+ ones of these have a red metalic thingy on the front grill saying ATTS but models like the '97 do not although the seller claims it to be an ATTS. How do I tell? Or are the sellers bullshitting me???

McChook
04-05-2004, 06:15 PM
get the gearbox number
And ATTS isn't necessarily a good thing

skoota
04-05-2004, 06:24 PM
What would the gearbox number tell me? how do i find it? Anywho, ATTS is good isn't it? Doesn't it provide better handling?

McChook
04-05-2004, 06:29 PM
ATTS is an electronic diff - I perionally hated it, it was unpredictable....

The gearbox number will determine if it is an ATTS box or not. There are other ways, but this is the easiest.
The GB number is printed on the Gearbox

skoota
04-05-2004, 06:31 PM
Cool thx dude

wynode
04-05-2004, 07:13 PM
Could you do the DIff test on it?

McChook
04-05-2004, 07:15 PM
Could you do the DIff test on it?
From memory, stick it in first, turn wheel to the left or right, rev it, dump clutch/brake. You'll know soon enough if it is an ATTS - HOWEVER, most people don't know how to tell..

The lift one side up in the air trcik doesn't work with the ATTS I don't think, since it is electronically controlled

ECU-MAN
14-05-2004, 10:04 PM
look for a big hunk of alluminium bolted to the rear of the block. from memory its a bitch to change the oil filter on them so that means the ATTS box Bolts on in that area. If you can see a drive shaft coming out the gearbox past the oil filter and exhust to the wheel like all other conventional FWD hondas then its not an ATTS.

steve_civic
16-09-2004, 10:13 PM
ATTS is just more annoying..its just an electronic diff that tries to distribute power to the wheel that is losing traction while cornering and slow the the wheel that is spinning too quick...something like that...honestly its just more dead weight...better off with an aftermarket LSD.

ECU-MAN
16-09-2004, 11:15 PM
ATTS is just more annoying..its just an electronic diff that tries to distribute power to the wheel that is losing traction while cornering and slow the the wheel that is spinning too quick...something like that...honestly its just more dead weight...better off with an aftermarket LSD.

Can you Honestly Tell me you can corner in a 97 Prelude non ATTS Model quicker than one equipped with ATTS.

Trust-Me
17-09-2004, 10:22 AM
yeah i heard ATTS better in the cornering...
bit off topic...does the ATTS prelude have more power than the non ATTS prelude..its got a red rocker cover???

MrPlow
17-09-2004, 11:35 AM
my friend's ATTS doesn't have a red rocket cover, apart from what has been discussed, im pretty sure there are some interior finsihes which are differant and also the rims!

redliner
17-09-2004, 12:48 PM
simply u can tell by turning ur key ignition to 1 and all the lights pops up to test if everything is working... the ATTS also pops up... looks like a stick with wheels on each end... if you are still unsure... you have to look under the car.. underneath the engine there is another engine which is the ATTS engine...
Personally i love the ATTS u can do sharp corners easy without feeling alot of g-force on the passenger and driver. Its good in the wet coz it keeps the car from slipping too much on sharp turns at higher speed.

ProECU
18-09-2004, 12:06 AM
hahahaha, its been 5hours since i last read this, and im still pissing myself laughing

rev-tech
21-09-2004, 09:38 PM
my dad owns a 99 ATTS (which is for sale at the moment, if your interested :D)
i've driven it a fair amount. personally i think it handles pretty well.

Anyway, as far as we've been led to belive there's a hydrolic system in it where if your hammering it though a corner and it seems as though it's about to lose the ass end. Thats when the 4WS comes into play.

i really do know what i'm talkin about! :D but i don't know how to explain it in typing

ECU-MAN
21-09-2004, 09:46 PM
AUDM 97 Prelude with ATTS doesnt have 4WS, Like you said ATTS is a Hydraulic Unit that Transfers torque to outside wheel, improving conering bt preventing Understear.