PDA

View Full Version : brake light problem

incoming
07-06-2006, 03:00 PM
help! electrical problem

i got 85 civic

the brake light fuse is joint with the horn

theres no fuse in fuse holder.
if i replace with the correct 15A fuse, the horn doesnt work BUT the brake lights are on (stays on)
and no my foot is not on the brake haha

oh and the horn still dont work with fuse in.. but that might be problem with connecting horn plate...

CRXer
07-06-2006, 04:05 PM
Did u buy the car like this or has it happened recently,if so why did u take fuse out in the first place?ie what prob occured?

Sounds like someone has had an attempt at an alarm install & failed miserably.
Such a simple circuit........

No engine swap or any aftermarket elecs at all?

incoming
07-06-2006, 04:09 PM
i got it like that and yes an alarm was installed

cheap strathfield one i believe

the fuse was taken out i guess cos the brake light was always on.. even with motor off

CRXer
07-06-2006, 11:34 PM
Ur alarm was prob using the horns as the siren & was controlling them thru a relay,which has prob died.Check the wire colour on your horn & identify this colour at a relay connected to the alarm(or the relay could be incorporated in the alarm panel & the wire connected directly).Pull the same colour wires off the relay(or panel) & connect together & test horn.Its a blue/red wire in a gen 2 crx,could be the same in yours.If it works replace relay(or alarm panel).Aftermarket steering wheels also r a common horn failure if not connected right ,maybe check that as well.

The brakes are a little more mysterious,they couldve tried to flash them with the alarm or just connected to the wrong wires when trying to find the rear indicators or coincedentally you got a short on the brake wire as well.
Pull connector off brake switch on pedal & test to see if lights go on & off with a bridge on the connector(ie short the 2 pins together with a wire) if it goes on & off replace brake switch.If not there is a parallel supply on the brake wire between the switch & the brake lights(green/white on crx),my guess at the alarm or associated connections.Unless its been screwed thru somewhere on its journey to the rear of the car.

incoming
08-06-2006, 03:28 PM
thanks man
i'll test it soon

bOoStn
14-06-2006, 10:23 PM
IF the brake lights stay on, then either the brake light switch is faulty, or its just not adjusted properly. The horn probably doesnt work cos its most likely the original that came with the car

incoming
15-06-2006, 09:20 AM
it was the brake switch!!
had to adjust it!...

horn works sometimes.. probably a problem with dirty connection or something.. shouldnt be a problem to sort out!!
thanks for the help fellas

Limbo
15-06-2006, 02:48 PM
sounds like a loose earth or fault horn relay