PDA

View Full Version : whats this black stuff from exhaust ...

anfz
08-06-2006, 05:58 PM
Hey guys just started my car first time for today, and at the back on the concrete theres all this black stuff i have a aftermarket muffler so I dunno what it is or could be ? what do you think it could be

tRipitaka
08-06-2006, 05:59 PM
condensation combined with carbon spitting out of your exhaust

nugget666
08-06-2006, 06:10 PM
Its normal.

its just carbon you having a new exhaust there will be more istting in your muffler.

so when your car starts up you will notice it more.

bungsai
08-06-2006, 06:13 PM
maybe try bp ultimate, i know if i use optimax for example my muffler gets dirtier.

anfz
08-06-2006, 06:23 PM
Ive tried bp ultimate last 3 refills

SPEEDCORE
08-06-2006, 07:29 PM
Is the car garaged at night?

bungsai
08-06-2006, 07:34 PM
well it is what trip said...

car probably running a bit rich...

what did u mean when u said u started it for the first time?

anfz
08-06-2006, 08:13 PM
yeah the car is garaged at night always ive only had it for 2 weeks, but bungsai what i ment is thats the first time i started the car for today like its been sitting all night in the garage than i went to turn it on

T-onedc2
08-06-2006, 08:18 PM
Quite simply because you have an aftermarket muffler with less physical obstructions for the carbon and moisture to catch on they just blow straight out the end now, it's always more noticable with a different exhaust and yes it's normal, nothing to worry about.

Limbo
10-06-2006, 04:20 PM
Its cos its a straight thru system and there will always be carbon coming thru, its a normal byproduct of conbustion. Since the muffler is free flowing moisture gets in and mixes together giving you the black stuff coming out. Normally on stock exhausts the baffles int he exhaust stop alot of moisture coming out and then you the carbon is only in dust format so its not too noticable ans does stick on things as much due to lack of moisture.

panda[cRx]
10-06-2006, 04:32 PM
condensation combined with carbon spitting out of your exhaust
:thumbsup:

anfz
11-06-2006, 07:38 PM
what does it mean when my car is running rich also is this a good or bad thing ? and how do i fix it ? thx

dc2dc2dc2
11-06-2006, 07:47 PM
search is ur friend mr. noob don't be lazy

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37336&highlight=running+rich

integral90
11-06-2006, 07:48 PM
it means more fuel than in the fuel/air ratio than there should be. I think it can be fixed by resetting the ecu and checking all your sensors are positioned properly?

anfz
11-06-2006, 08:00 PM
I actually did a search and that thread dosent explain what running rich exactly means nor does it relate to my case as mines not blowing out black smoke , so dont jump to conclusions but thanks integral90 I understand now

tRipitaka
11-06-2006, 08:06 PM
it means more fuel than in the fuel/air ratio than there should be. I think it can be fixed by resetting the ecu and checking all your sensors are positioned properly?

yes, integrals is correct about more fuel burning..
i.e. the fuel economy isn't what you expected..

but do search.. alot of people have asked this question, and solutions have been posted up..

clean your air filter, maybe faulty o2 sensor.. etc.

anfz
11-06-2006, 08:09 PM
but the thing is in my case i have perfect fuel economy, so therefore its not running rich is that right ?

tRipitaka
11-06-2006, 08:14 PM
:thumbsup:

just for some extra info..

running rich = too much fuel

running lean = not enough fuel

integral90
11-06-2006, 08:16 PM
+ rep? :o

tRipitaka
11-06-2006, 08:18 PM
+ rep? :o
you were half right..

can't give half a rep point

aimre
13-06-2006, 10:12 PM
Its cos its a straight thru system and there will always be carbon coming thru, its a normal byproduct of conbustion. Since the muffler is free flowing moisture gets in and mixes together giving you the black stuff coming out. Normally on stock exhausts the baffles int he exhaust stop alot of moisture coming out and then you the carbon is only in dust format so its not too noticable ans does stick on things as much due to lack of moisture.

Incorrect, MOISTURE is a normal byproduct of combustion. CARBON is not.

Our cars burn C8H10(Petorl) and O2(oxy) and produce H20 (water) and CO2(carbon dioxide) , also coz the burn isnt perfect (not enough air) u get some C (carbon) and CO (caron monoxide).

N e ways, this water usually leaves ur exhaust as steam, thus u never notice it. But, if you start ur cr cold, ur exhaust pipes are cold, and this steam condenses as water droplets in ur carbon covered piped, the rest of the gasses soon push out all this water, hence the black droplets on ur garage wall/floor.:p

timofytit
13-06-2006, 11:16 PM
what does it mean when my car is running rich also is this a good or bad thing ? and how do i fix it ? thx

All good buddy, you are not harming your engine if its running rich. But if its lean, you will. Factory settings always run a little rich because of safety. When you get an aftermarket ecu, the first thing that is changed is the amount of fuel put in. It will run leaner, in turn giving you more power. The reason why it gives you more power is that the unburnt fuel actually condenses and can reduce your spark. An exagerated example is flame out. You wont get that, but on a lesser scale it does hinder performance. Dont worry about the black stuff. Think physics, you cannot create something from nothing. Most of the fuel once burnt turns into gas, but some of the additives turn into carbon when burnt. Its just a change in state. :cool: I would rather have the carbon coming out the exhaust than sitting in the pipes reducing performance by causing friction and reducing the flowability of the pipe.

Limbo
13-06-2006, 11:34 PM
There is no such thing as a perfect burn in a car otherwise we wouldn't be bothered modifying the car. Every car with a large exhuast get carbon buildup its pretty normal. Have a look at any exhaust there is always some carbon/soot in there, just a matter of how much.

Incorrect, MOISTURE is a normal byproduct of combustion. CARBON is not.

Our cars burn C8H10(Petorl) and O2(oxy) and produce H20 (water) and CO2(carbon dioxide) , also coz the burn isnt perfect (not enough air) u get some C (carbon) and CO (caron monoxide).

N e ways, this water usually leaves ur exhaust as steam, thus u never notice it. But, if you start ur cr cold, ur exhaust pipes are cold, and this steam condenses as water droplets in ur carbon covered piped, the rest of the gasses soon push out all this water, hence the black droplets on ur garage wall/floor.:p

aimre
14-06-2006, 01:13 AM
There is no such thing as a perfect burn in a car otherwise we wouldn't be bothered modifying the car. Every car with a large exhuast get carbon buildup its pretty normal. Have a look at any exhaust there is always some carbon/soot in there, just a matter of how much.

Umm yes there is. Provided there is more oxygen then fuel. Though running lean may have OTHER detrimental effects.

Ever use a bunsen burner at school??

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b0/Bunsen_burner_flame_types_.jpg/667px-Bunsen_burner_flame_types_.jpg

The amount of air (or rather oxygen (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygen)) mixed with the gas stream affects the completeness of the combustion (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combustion) reaction in the flame. Less air yields an incomplete and thus cooler reaction, while a gas stream well mixed with air provides oxygen in an equimolar (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mole_%28unit%29) amount and thus a complete and hotter reaction. The air flow can be controlled by opening or closing the slot openings at the base of the barrel, similar in function to a car's carburetor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carburetor). - Wikipedia

Notice how the yellow flame would leave black carbon on the bottom of the beaker when heating stuff (when the collar partially closed, starving oxygen)

But when u used blue, the was none (wide open collar allowing excess air)

Limbo
14-06-2006, 03:23 PM
how many cars don't have soot in the their exhaust (after being driven for a while)???

Also even when i used the blue flame i still got carbon on my testtubes just not as much.

Theory is all good but you gotta add up all the other crap that affects things in practice

aaronng
14-06-2006, 04:09 PM
My exhaust is still silver for some reason. The only thing that comes out of my exhaust is water vapour and the usual exhaust gases. Haven't had carbon build up yet.

aimre
14-06-2006, 07:53 PM
how many cars don't have soot in the their exhaust (after being driven for a while)???

Also even when i used the blue flame i still got carbon on my testtubes just not as much.

Theory is all good but you gotta add up all the other crap that affects things in practice

True, alot of other thing affect the burn in the car.

But the point of my original post was

MOISTURE is a normal byproduct of combustion. CARBON is not.

The rest was copied and pasted from a previous post i made on the subject