PDA

View Full Version : 98 VTIR Vs 2001 Celica???

RiP CITA :~(
04-05-2004, 11:29 PM
i gotta buy a new car and im down to these 2 cars.
what would you guys get ?and why :?:

XXpl0Sive
04-05-2004, 11:41 PM
I'd get a VTI-R because I believe Aussie toyota's are for families and people who want to look fast.

VTEC16
05-05-2004, 12:06 AM
Why not compare the integra type R and celica?

Id take the R.....or in your case, because im a honda fan, id take the VTi-R.

A'PEXi
05-05-2004, 01:52 AM
celica, basically because its a newer car, has a nicer interior, and is just that bit faster :D

XXpl0Sive
05-05-2004, 02:34 AM
omg @ Ray...!!!!!!

kiddoDC2
05-05-2004, 04:22 AM
i'd say the type r, purely on the hp figures

i own a vtir but yeah, gotta be realistic about it, the shape and interior is abit dated too

oh yeah if your in melb and you wanna buy a white celica 2000 or 2001 model pm me

luzinit
05-05-2004, 07:45 AM
i'd prob get the celica if both were offered in manual....
dc2 tegs are a bit dated n the styling is a bit bland compared to the celica!

imminent_
05-05-2004, 12:59 PM
is 2001 when the toyota manufacturers took a whole heap of acid, had a 3 day drinking binge and started to test how long they could survive without sleep?

Then see what they could come up with as a 'new shape' ?

[[d a n n y]]
05-05-2004, 01:30 PM
i'd prob get the celica if both were offered in manual....
dc2 tegs are a bit dated n the styling is a bit bland compared to the celica!

and i will kill u :D

nah...take the celica cuz it's new..

r we comparing a used model?

then...comapre a celica against a DC2R

it will kill the celica in anydirection

and for the interior each to it's own..

Chi
05-05-2004, 01:44 PM
You're asking a honda forum to choose between a honda and a toyota, pretty obvious what OH members will choose.

Xenon
05-05-2004, 02:20 PM
If its not a dcr type R, I would get the celica anyday. IMO the celica looks a lot more modern than the outdated dc2 shape. I think it actually looks quite hot with the factory sportivo bodykit in place. :)

Performance wise, i think the celica would have a slight edge on the dc2 (non type r). Straightline it should nudge ahead and handling wise should be about lineball with each other unless u going hardcore track where the double wishbone setup of dc2 would be better..

I guess the only factor u need to weigh up is the difference in pricing because im sure the celica will cost a lot more due to the fact its a lot newer..

A'PEXi
05-05-2004, 02:20 PM
lol - well type r is out of the question, id take the type r if he mentioned it... but it was a vtir teg OR celica.

ginganggooly
05-05-2004, 02:27 PM
hehehe... the heart tells me to get an integra, the head tells me to get the celica ;)

new vs old being the main reason.

05-05-2004, 04:00 PM
A'pexi thatks understanding that i did say a vtir and not a dc2r
all the other's thx for reply's.

the reason im asking is i went to look at a vtir, went i got there it was sold,
so i went to the toyota dealer next door and the offered me a 2001 celica sx
with only 38,000 km for $26,000. i then rang around for insurence and the new celica was cheaper then a vtir by $1200, its hard for me to get a price on insurence coz i have had a few clams b4.

05-05-2004, 04:01 PM
A'pexi thatks understanding that i did say a vtir and not a dc2r
all the other's thx for reply's.

the reason im asking is i went to look at a vtir, went i got there it was sold,
so i went to the toyota dealer next door and the offered me a 2001 celica sx
with only 38,000 km for $26,000. i then rang around for insurence and the new celica was cheaper then a vtir by $1200, its hard for me to get a price on insurence coz i have had a few clams b4.

Teggy-Vtir
05-05-2004, 04:19 PM
celica sx?? doesnt that have only 120 or so kws?? and the ZR has over 140?

correct me if im wrong =)

05-05-2004, 06:02 PM
nuh its the same as the zr 140kw
the sx dont have abs, sports ped's and zr has 16's sx has 15's

05-05-2004, 06:11 PM
nuh its the same as the zr 140kw
the sx dont have abs, sports ped's and zr has 16's sx has 15's

[twins]vtec
05-05-2004, 09:12 PM
ummm....
do u guys kno the celica specs at all
tru it mite have 140kw
but the vvtl-i doesnt kick in till 6000-6200rpm
have u guys seen them perform? well i have and lol u should see them struggle to go uphill whereas even the VTECs with same or less displacement dont
also apparently on paper the celica does high 15s - low 16s
i think u all kno what the Vti-R DC2 does
so i wont need any explaining on the performance rite?

totti
05-05-2004, 09:21 PM
get the celica :x

integra are over rated :D

Hondavirgin
06-05-2004, 03:48 PM
i've heard in reviews of the Corolla sportivo (same engine and gearbox as celica) that the narrow powerband means its a real bugger to drive fast unless you're on a track, i.e., to keep it in the powrband you have to keep on the throttle and shift at redline....

as soon as you lift off you;re off the boil...

euGeR
06-05-2004, 10:03 PM
I would say Celica :) over VTi-R

6 speed - vvti! - responds well to I/H/E mods like the DC5R
It's only slower because the gearing is taller - good for FI :thumbsup:

However, honda's have more Aftermarket bits for it, but definately nothing wrong with TRD - so depends on what your goal is.

Personally I'd say buy property and drive a shitbox.

olda
06-05-2004, 10:33 PM
I would say Celica :) over VTi-R

6 speed - vvti! - responds well to I/H/E mods like the DC5R
It's only slower because the gearing is taller - good for FI :thumbsup:

However, honda's have more Aftermarket bits for it, but definately nothing wrong with TRD - so depends on what your goal is.

Personally I'd say buy property and drive a shitbox.

Celica???????????? Hair dresser's special???????????? :roll: :roll: :roll:
No hot bits whatsoever! Not even TRD! Ever since Toyota stopped rallying
Celica - no performance parts development. Full stop!
Also, Celica's engine power delivery is miles behind Honda.
Poor torque and the 6sp gear box???????????? :roll: :roll: :roll:

Tofu
06-05-2004, 10:37 PM
there's still aftermarket parts for the celica, but just not as much

i would say go celica...they are a good looking car, for some reason, personally i wouldn't want to drive one...

07-05-2004, 12:29 AM
thanks for the input guys. Keep it coming :)

vinhsta
07-05-2004, 07:13 PM
Personally I'd go for the VTI-R :)

07-05-2004, 11:22 PM
Guys thanks for the the ideas......but im sorry to say im going for the celica, it was hard coz im a big honda fan but im getting a good price with low km and its the new shape, i got to drive the celica today got looked at and it passed all my test's.

il still be loged on here coz thankfully my g/f got a new prelude "with i wanted, but i dont want to have the same car as her....um maybe il switch cars with her LOL" .

BTW do any of you guys know if there is a toyota site like this one ????

mo
07-05-2004, 11:54 PM
www.toymods.org.au or something along those lines.

CIVIC-R
08-05-2004, 12:43 AM
yeah the celica is a nice car! looks good, goes alright and newer then the integra VTIR.... but im sure u could get a type R for a cheaper price then u are getting that Celica... and it will be much quicker.
dont rush into it...

if u like coupes, id personally get a CIVIC vtir Coupe and with the extra money modify it...

however celicas do react well to mods... my mate has one - he originally got 94 kw at the wheels. and then he put a AEM CAI from america and full exhaust and got 110kw at the wheels.. such a big difference and no tuning.

there is stacks of parts for these cars in America, you can get it all from ebay.

olda
08-05-2004, 07:19 PM
yeah the celica is a nice car! looks good, goes alright and newer then the integra VTIR.... but im sure u could get a type R for a cheaper price then u are getting that Celica... and it will be much quicker.
dont rush into it...

if u like coupes, id personally get a CIVIC vtir Coupe and with the extra money modify it...

however celicas do react well to mods... my mate has one - he originally got 94 kw at the wheels. and then he put a AEM CAI from america and full exhaust and got 110kw at the wheels.. such a big difference and no tuning.

there is stacks of parts for these cars in America, you can get it all from ebay.

110kw with only CAI and exhaust - NVL (NOT VERY LIKELY) :!: :!: :!:

tofu R
08-05-2004, 08:38 PM
hmm ive driven a celica before, its not a slouch , but much harder to drive fast than a vtir or an R ..
the tall gearing drops out of the vvtli rev range while accelerating heavily ..
the engine is also a yamaha item .. so id guess they would be pretty cluey about high revving engines due to their motorbike heritage/(similar to honda)

but the suspension is definitely a big problem on the celicas.. and nothing compared to the Vtir let alone the R

bottom line, celica is new to the ff vtec sports combo, honda has been doing it forever..

CIVIC-R
09-05-2004, 03:19 PM
dont rush into it...

well i can show you the before and after dyno graphs if you dont believe me???

A'PEXi
09-05-2004, 03:31 PM
a ek9 owns a celica....

09-05-2004, 06:46 PM
hey bro can i see the dyno graphs????

olda
09-05-2004, 09:57 PM
dont rush into it...

well i can show you the before and after dyno graphs if you dont believe me???

Dodge dyno sonny !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry, graph means O = nothing :P

dc2r
10-05-2004, 11:42 PM
I would not compare the Celica to a Type-R at all... he made the right comparison with the Celica vs VTI-R... performance wise anyways. The Type-R is way out of the Celica's range in performance, although prices are similar between the two.

In this case though, I think you made the right choice between a 2001 Celica and a 1998 VTI-R Teg... The Celica is newer, styling is probably better inside and out compared to the 98 teg, lower kms, etc. Personally that would have been a hard choice for me too... but since I'm performance orientated, I would've probably gone the teggy vtir. But Celica is the better buy... Enjoy your new car!

11-05-2004, 12:17 AM
thx bro il post some pics when i get a chance...along with my g/f prelude