PDA

View Full Version : best exhaust gasket goop?

tinkerbell
09-06-2006, 11:46 AM
what is the best thing for sealing the gasket between the cat converter addn the cat back.

mine is whistling slightly under WOT and is annoying...

dsp26
09-06-2006, 12:17 PM
dammit i cant remember the name... its a black high temp one in the sealant section of Autobarn.... you can also use it as like a putty for covering small holes or as a gasket sealant....

vinnY
09-06-2006, 03:36 PM
dammit i cant remember the name... its a black high temp one in the sealant section of Autobarn.... you can also use it as like a putty for covering small holes or as a gasket sealant....
rtv high temp black?
or you could try and track down some hondabond

e240
09-06-2006, 05:42 PM
rtv high temp black?
or you could try and track down some hondabond

No..don't use any of the Hi temp silicon stuff...they will never take the heat from the exhaust.

Use Exhaust gasket sealer which you can easily get from Auto 1. I used to use one developed by Yoshimura... :-)

however, it might be better to understand why its not sealing properly first...
is it the gasket? incorrect flanges etc etc.

Limbo
10-06-2006, 04:16 PM
Just take it out and use more RTV exhuast sealant, just put more on and squash it together.

tinkerbell
13-06-2006, 09:48 AM
http://www.crcindustries.com.au/catalogue.nsf/web_brands/Maniseal+Exhaust+Cement?openDocument

CRC Maniseal is what i ended up using... $6.95 for 145g tube

wlee2
13-06-2006, 11:28 AM
http://www.crcindustries.com.au/catalogue.nsf/web_brands/Maniseal+Exhaust+Cement?openDocument

CRC Maniseal is what i ended up using... $6.95 for 145g tube

thats the same stuff i used on my exhaust leak as well. worked well.. my only worry is (will it fall off?)

dsp26
13-06-2006, 09:24 PM
High temp silicone does work. its what exhaust shops use in addition to the gasket on extractors/headers.

however the proper cementing putty stuff is the ideal thing to use for plugging actual surface holes and exhaust leaks. silicone in addition gaskets

a good putty also is Permatek Muffler Putty. comes in a small blue tub resembling a shoe polish container :D