PDA

View Full Version : weight distribution

d15z1SUX
10-06-2006, 12:18 AM
who knows the stock weight distribution (front/rear) of honda civics. more specifically i was looking for the weight distribution of a eg sedan. i tried looking on google etc. but i cant seem to find it... only for a 2006 civic which they said was 61/39 or something. the reason why i was wondering is coz trying to figure how much the weight distribution changes when u do particular swaps. dont know if its useful but was just curious. and also i wonder what the perfect weight distribution for a ff car is. coz i read in a particular honda tuning magazine issue that sum ek hatch had almost a 50/50 weight distribution and i was thinking that perhaps thats not really the ideal weight distribution for a ff car?!?

doctamick
13-06-2006, 02:35 PM
I have a 92 Civic Si Sedan (with a d16a8 engine). I had my car on a set of race scales a while ago. Without driver, with about half a tank of fuel, and with everything else pretty much stock, I measured a front/rear distribution of 61.8/38.2%. The weight shifted about half a percent rearward with me in it (~75kg), to almost a 61/39 distribution.

I think that for track use, this weight distribution would be unacceptable, and you would want to have more weight over the rear tyres. Therefore, if you were to swap to a heavier engine, you should probably make some effort to shift some weight to the rear. However, the handling would obviously be largely influenced by your suspension setup.

I hope this helps. Mick.

aimre
13-06-2006, 03:27 PM
So our civic have sh!t weigh distrubution... then why does everyone hear swear by their sick handeling?

Eventhough u may do suspension, would u rather find something with a closer 50:50 weight distrubution and make that handel better?

doctamick
13-06-2006, 05:00 PM
Yes... there is no doubt that a car with a 50:50 weight distribution will make better use of its tyres. But a car with an uneven weight distribution can be tuned with appropriate roll and bump stiffnesses (front and rear) to result in a neutral steering car. (This is something that the Honda engineers have done well from the factory - hence the good handling.)

Something else to consider may be the fact that the car is front wheel drive and any extra normal force on the front tyres will improve straight line acceleration.

Jazzle
13-06-2006, 06:27 PM
i dont think there are any 50/50 fwd in the market?? correct me if im wrong,, therefore civic does have good handling in ITS CLASS,, i guess...

nugget666
13-06-2006, 06:31 PM
lincon ls nearly 50/50

edit* just read you s aid fwd cars.

j3z3z
13-06-2006, 07:09 PM
ff would not be good with 50/50 because the fronts would have a much harder time getting traction and would cause a lot more understeer. Believe it or not but having more weight just behind or over the drive shaft is better for a ff (ok 100/0 wont work but 60/40 to 75/25 is good) as having a lighter end allows the rear to trail around corners when driving hard eliminating much of the understeer