PDA

View Full Version : In car DVD Player, reading probz..

Qwooootz
12-06-2006, 07:04 AM
I dont know if its the cold weather but i got an aiight brand in car screen and dvd combo by xms, has always worked fine until today when i tried puting a dvd in it. Either it is having a difficult time reading the cd or that the cd gets jammed somewhere thru and doesnt go in all the way.. when i put in a cd it makes the motorizing noise as if its struggling or tryign to read then it stops and says no disc :eek: :( ?..

cud it be the mechanical part where it ejects and takes in the cd or the laser is worn? whats the chances of getting this repaired for decent price? hopfully not slim! :confused: *sigh*.

Fhrx
12-06-2006, 03:38 PM
It might be something as simple as a dirty laser lens. If you take it to a electronics repairer they can clean the unit for you. That would be the first step. :)

Qwooootz
12-06-2006, 06:37 PM
thanks.. i think that may be the case.. does strathfield radios do this kind of service?

JaCe
13-06-2006, 11:35 AM
You could also use a normal LENS cleaner for dvd-players/cd-players right? Can be bought in heaps of places (check Tandy or DSE?) and are basically just a normal looking DVD but with tiny little brushes. I wonder if there's something stuck inside your player or if the laser has been misaligned... hope not!

Fr3aKi3
13-06-2006, 01:08 PM
I'm not too sure if those cd/dvd len cleaners can be used with an in-car dvd unit. Reason being is that it not fit due to the brushes that are protruding from the cleaning disc, this isn't really and issue with top loading or tray loaded units but more so with slot loaded ones.

I had one of the cleaning kits before and i remember a warning saying that it can't be used with slot loaded drives. Although this was a fair while ago and there may be other cleaning kits available now.

Just keep in mind that your probably would've spent a few hundred in getting the dvd combo, I think it'll be worth to get it checked out by an electrical repairer. Just imagine if you spend 5-10 bux on a cleaning kit which ends up causing more damage...

I'm doubtful of strathfield car radio being able to check it out and clean the unit for you since they're more of a chain retail store. Best bet is to look up in the yellow pages for some repairers.

JaCe
13-06-2006, 01:37 PM
Good point. Considering the price of the your machine, you might be better off going back and asking a professional about what you should do. Not sure if Stratty can do it for you, but try asking around at places/shops which normally deals/sells these sorts of products.