PDA

View Full Version : ausdm dc2r and ek4 cat

vinnY
13-06-2006, 02:08 AM
are they different in sizes?
got the dc2r one here, just no stock ek4 one to compare :)

wondering if i can find an ek b-pipe and just bolt up to the cat + headers :)

Limbo
13-06-2006, 09:46 AM
yes the DC2r cat is slightly larger. You will have to get a shop to adjust the flanges

vinnY
13-06-2006, 10:12 AM
larger as in the inlet/outlet is larger or larger as in length/height?

will be attempting to attach it to mugen cat back so i'm assuming the mugen piping is slightly larger than stock, and hopefully the same size as the cat :)

barefootbonzai
13-06-2006, 10:20 AM
If you are talking about both Aussie spec EK4 vs DC2R they are excatly the same. Not sure what Limbo is talking about.

Mugen Catback will not bolt onto any Aussie spec cat. You'll either have to find a JDM ITR cat or get an aftermarket one made.

vinnY
13-06-2006, 10:27 AM
Mugen Catback will not bolt onto any Aussie spec cat. You'll either have to find a JDM ITR cat or get an aftermarket one made.
are the flanges different or the size of the piping alltogether?

xtercii
13-06-2006, 11:16 AM
does the jdm cat flow really good or it's better to invest in a good aftermarket cat?

vinnY
13-06-2006, 11:35 AM
does the jdm cat flow really good or it's better to invest in a good aftermarket cat?
from what i've found, apparently they're shorter and have different flanges for header/cat back

xtercii
13-06-2006, 12:07 PM
regardless of size and shape, do they flow as good as aftermarket cats?

vinnY
13-06-2006, 04:30 PM
i don't believe that it flows any better, just better to have the right cat if you're going to have a jdm header/catback system
don't want to go chopping expensive jdm gear cause you wanted to skimp on the cat

Limbo
13-06-2006, 04:57 PM
the ITR cat that i had was different from my ek4, needed the flanges adjusted. Could have been JDM? not sure, but i ended up using the larger body hi-flow cats about $250. If you gonna get a mugen header your better off getting the better stuff. If you can afford it get the steel cats. They are about $500-600 with even more better flow.

vinnY
13-06-2006, 05:02 PM
so your cats were the same size, just different flanges?

i'm actually going to have the mugen catback + muffler, headers will be stock itr

the headers currently have the flanges cut off but i have the stock one to reweld back on when the time comes. i just want to make sure that the cat would bolt on to the mugen b-pipe and the headers won't be an issue(only paid $30 for it, little bit of welding can't hurt now?)

Limbo
13-06-2006, 05:12 PM
yeah if you do that the shop will jsut adjust the flanges for you so don't worry. You had the JDM ITR headers right? that's why you needed the flange?

Yeah cats basically the same the size but the ITR was longer.
Abit of welding won't hurt but getting the larger body hi-flow one will give you more power over the stock one.

vinnY
13-06-2006, 05:17 PM
its actually just ausdm 4-2-1 itr headers(previous owner had flanges off for some other reason)
my high flow cat just collapsed(thanks xforce!) and my headers have a nice big dent on the bottom of them(thanks to dodgey roads in fairfield and xforce again)
just getting the itr headers and cat to replace it at the moment, if anything happens in the future then i can upgrade the pair while i'm at it