PDA

View Full Version : AMP Remote Problem

scott1e
13-06-2006, 11:06 PM
Howdy,

Well guys up until now Ive had no problems with my sub/amp combo.. Im running an 800W 4CH Boss Amp with a 12" Boss Sub..
All cables are run down the same side of the car but this hasnt seemed to be a problem for the last month or two..

Anyways, just these last few days for some reason, my battery has been running flat and I have related it back to the fact that the amp is not turning off then the car is turned off..

My remote wire (I think thats it, the thin blue one) is connected at the back of the headunit to the antenna wire (or so I believe, the blue one with a white stripe down it) the reason it is connected to this wire is because at the time of installation the guy who installed my headunit had wound the end of the slack blue wire at the back of the headunit to another red wire.. And taped it up tight as, which I didnt manage to get off..

Anyway Im just wondering if anyone has had similar problems of after a while, the amp just not turning off when the car does.. Its run my battery flat twice now (thank god for jump leads..)

Anyone give me a possible solution?

Cheers,
Scott

destrukshn
14-06-2006, 12:32 AM
maybe there is a frayed wire from the remote wire touching the positive constant on the amp?
antenna wire? your amp will only work if your radio was on.
or maybe your remote wire is connected to the constant positive on the head unit? which is yellow, pretty sure it is.

try disconnecting the remote wire from the amp, and see if it turns off.

scott1e
14-06-2006, 01:03 AM
The thing is.. Everything has been working fine until now.. The amp has been turning off when the headunit is off/car is off, and turning back on when I turn the car on again..

SPL77Civic
14-06-2006, 10:03 AM
Probably a stray wire then, pull out the remote wire at the amp, twist it really tight and reconnect making sure there are no stray wires that as suggested might be touching the + on the amp.

stanleym
14-06-2006, 08:36 PM
disconnect all wires from headunit if amo is all fine

start again crimping everything.....tape is okay for as you say a while then it lose it stickyness and then u get wot u got

re wire everything at headunit run rca seperate to power cables and all will be good:p

BRU51N
19-06-2006, 03:01 AM
soldering the ends of the wires could reduce fray..
in the long run, the electric tape just runs off and hardly sticks together, especially in the summer.

scott1e
04-07-2006, 02:36 AM
Found out the problem while ****ing around today.. There was one or two tiny stray wires from the remote that were touching onto the positive power contact and thus it was leaving the amp turned on..

However now I have another dilemma.. Whilst in the process of removing the screw that holds in the red power cord to neaten the wires up I saw something spark and flash.. It didnt sound like a pop but it wasnt just a tiny little spark either.. Now for some reason the amp wont turn on..

The fuses in the amp arent broken and the power cable still has power going through it as seen on the voltmeter.. The remote wire also still has power going through it so I can only assume Ive ****ed something up in the amp itself..

All the same can anyone give me any ideas of what else it could be? Or how I could possibly test out the wiring and/or amp?

Cheers,
Scott

pizza_boy
04-07-2006, 08:13 AM
The fuses in the amp arent broken and the power cable still has power going through it as seen on the voltmeter.. The remote wire also still has power going through it so I can only assume Ive ****ed something up in the amp itself..

All the same can anyone give me any ideas of what else it could be? Or how I could possibly test out the wiring and/or amp?

Cheers,
Scott

to check if it's amp or remote wire, do same thing, but b4 doing that disconnect your battery positive, connect remote to positive on your amp, as it was;)
shouldn't be that, usually fuse blows up, or could be remote wire.
gl;)

scott1e
04-07-2006, 01:01 PM
Hmm cheers ill test it out.. the thing is.. I used the ampmeter/voltmeter on the remote wire and the negative and it seemed like there was a current coming through :S

TEG01
04-07-2006, 01:34 PM
best way is too test the amp on a different car too see if it still works
or
look through all your wiring/cabling's ACC and fuses

aka_NSX
04-07-2006, 01:55 PM
However now I have another dilemma.. Whilst in the process of removing the screw that holds in the red power cord to neaten the wires up I saw something spark and flash.. It didnt sound like a pop but it wasnt just a tiny little spark either.. Now for some reason the amp wont turn on..

Cheers,
Scott

u know what....... u just blew the power supply inside the AMP, thats why next time when u unscrew the power terminal make sure u use a shielded screw driver, now try to take out the AMP from the car and open and have a look the inside, it might have Fuse inside the AMP too, but if not i guess u need to take it for repaired

scott1e
04-07-2006, 02:37 PM
I opened the bastard up after rooting a number of screws and couldnt see what I thought was a fuse..

Took a picture anyway, nothing looks burnt out but if you see anything that resembles a fuse within an amp, let me know.. The two exterior yellow fuses were definitely not broken..

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/8784/04070614399mm.jpg

Looks like im gunna have to get it repaired which will probably cost more than its worth..

Anyone got a dodgy old amp lying around capable of running a 12" sub for the time being? Ill be happy to take it off your hands.. PM me

bennyBear
04-07-2006, 03:03 PM
amps are so cheap now mate, i just picked up an US audio 2 channel 600watt rms for under $200 at autobarn.

Good luck

aka_NSX
04-07-2006, 04:50 PM
if that is the case seems like some of the transistor on the power supply section is fail / burn from the spark u did, but u cant tell u need to use multi meter to test it ........

scott1e
04-07-2006, 05:56 PM
I opened it up and tried stuff again and it seems like it doesnt wanna turn on..

Looks like Im going to have to replace it :S