PDA

View Full Version : [Euro] Diesel CL9 differences

yfin
13-06-2006, 11:33 PM
Saw the Euro diesel in Czech Republic today. Took a few photos of some differences I could see:

1. Fog lights - different design and are more directed towards the centre of the road. I didn't know that this style even existed. IMO these look better than the AUDM Euro fogs. I think these would fit the AUDM Euro if someone was interested in sourcing them from Europe as the fog cover opening is the same size. Also note these fogs have an air opening for CAI fans.

2. Wheel splash shield (may not be its technical name - that is what I call it). Notice how the plastic is corrugated compared to AUDM. Any one want to guess why this might be the case?

3. Plastic shielding near radiator next to number plate

4. Honey comb grill.

5. Woop ass huge czech republic numberplate!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v456/yfin/IMG_2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v456/yfin/IMG_3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v456/yfin/IMG_4.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v456/yfin/IMG_1.jpg

aaronng
13-06-2006, 11:44 PM
I think it's to draw air out of that bumper cavity. Did you see the slits on the right wheel wheel liner as well? If its only on one side, it could be to improve airflow from the front grill and out the wheel liner.

yfin
14-06-2006, 05:49 AM
I think it's to draw air out of that bumper cavity. Did you see the slits on the right wheel wheel liner as well? If its only on one side, it could be to improve airflow from the front grill and out the wheel liner.

Nah didn't look at the other side.

coyote
14-06-2006, 10:04 AM
The fog lights look cheap - something not right about 'em...

EuroDude
14-06-2006, 10:23 AM
The parking light plastic looks different as well. Theirs has lines all through it, our has a brushed stripe.

Tobster
14-06-2006, 10:34 AM
The air vent in the wheel arch is on the 06 Euro -- I metioned it in the "interesting bits" thread as I hadn't recalled seeing it on the earlier versions. And no, there isn't one on the right hand side.

Remember that they're a turbo diesel too -- so they'll be wanting to be able to draw in a much air as possible.

Chris_F
14-06-2006, 10:47 AM
never knew these differences existed, thanks for sharing yfin :thumbsup:. Those foglight covers are cool, i want some without the foglights... one opening for break cooling the other for the intake :eek:. The covers in the middle lower grill are interesting too, perhaps to direct more flow to the radiator

aaronng
14-06-2006, 11:37 AM
The parking light plastic looks different as well. Theirs has lines all through it, our has a brushed stripe.
The 03-05 Euro has the same parking light plastic. Your 06 is "special". Now I need to find an 06' headlight to fit to my 04'. Hehe

yfin
14-06-2006, 07:18 PM
The air vent in the wheel arch is on the 06 Euro -- I metioned it in the "interesting bits" thread as I hadn't recalled seeing it on the earlier versions. .

Now that is interesting - temp related problems perhaps have arisen in the 03-05 model?

Strange to make such a revision if the original design worked. It is not as if the engine is otherwise different to warrant more cooling.

BiLL|z0r
14-06-2006, 07:36 PM
Good spotting yfin. My CEII lancer had the finned plastic wheel arch as well. I think it's to suck air up. As you're driving along the air passes under the car and gets sucked in by the void and then up like a vacuum.

My 05 parkers aren't lined like that.

aaronng
14-06-2006, 07:49 PM
Now that is interesting - temp related problems perhaps have arisen in the 03-05 model?

Strange to make such a revision if the original design worked. It is not as if the engine is otherwise different to warrant more cooling.
Maybe Honda knew the popularity of the CAIs and Comptech Icebox in the US TSX, so they did this as a way to entice modders to buy it?

EuroDude
14-06-2006, 09:34 PM
Yep the 06 has the vent as well, but theirs is huge! (for the turbo obviously)

AUDM 06' Euro:
http://img55.imageshack.us/img55/3857/dddd2px.jpg

yfin
14-06-2006, 09:40 PM
interesting - makes road water easier to splash up for people with CAI (unlikely to be a hydrolock issue - just makes those filters dirty quick).

Wonder what other revisions Honda has made without advertising them.

aaronng
14-06-2006, 10:10 PM
The water should splash to the top and rear though. Not much to the front unless you are reversing.

yfin
15-06-2006, 08:12 AM
The water should splash to the top and rear though. Not much to the front unless you are reversing.

In WA I passed through some wet roads up north covered with the red dirt you see there and everything in that wheel well was so friggen dirty.

If I had the 06 and CAI i would probably look at fly screening those holes from the inside (same thing i did with the fog cover).

Tobster
15-06-2006, 10:12 AM
It could just be generic parts tooling designed to increase airflow to the intake. The 06 TSX supposedly had air intake modifications.

It could also be (although it's unlikely) that our 06 actually has had a power hike without Honda's stating it -- you can understate but not overstate your engine power outputs. Holden did this with the first generation of the Gen 3 LS1 in the VTII, so that there looks to have been a power hike with the next version -- without actually doing anything. I'm willing to bet that the 2007 model is 147 kw -- the 06 MAY already be this.

EuroDude
15-06-2006, 10:20 AM
That would be something Hondata (Aus) would know during their ECU testing stages with the 06 models. I guess we could ask them about it :)

yfin
16-06-2006, 07:50 AM
It could also be (although it's unlikely) that our 06 actually has had a power hike without Honda's stating it -- you can understate but not overstate your engine power outputs. .

I would say it is highly unlikely. Why would Honda not state a power increase in Aust or Europe yet cite an increase in the USA? The USA model has quite extensive changes including engine internals, throttle body and ECU.

I don't think Honda has historically let power increases go unadvertised. When the DC5R gained a measly 5kw Honda made it a key selling point (but I guess that car wasnt selling so well at the time).

juld0zer
09-05-2011, 02:14 PM
a bit of a thread revival here -
ive got a mazda 3 diesel and its got a finned wheel arch too - its for the intercooler as a vent. it's not quite a FMIC because it lives behind the foglamp area but there's a duct from the lower middle grille directly to the intercooler

Fredoops
09-05-2011, 05:10 PM
Interesting to know, but isn't that the same side as the intake and resonator? How did they sit them all in ?

SPQR
09-05-2011, 11:08 PM

It could be the location of the turbo's intercooler. Hence the vent. Benz hides their intercoolers for diesels in low places too.

juld0zer
10-05-2011, 02:22 AM
the new mazda 6 diesel has its intercooler in the passenger side fender area too. in fact it is directly behind the foglamp and you can see it.

has the diesel accord gone on sale here yet?

juld0zer
10-05-2011, 03:52 AM
slightly off topic but could i trouble any of you guys to measure the circumference of your exhaust outlet pipe? or diameter, either is fine.
I need the dimensions of the actual pipe coming out of the muffler, not the stainless tip.

ROBERT
10-05-2011, 08:53 AM
The pipe is still curving as it enters the chrome tip so the diameter is not exactly the same in the vertical plane as it is in the horizontal plane due to the bending, however 50mm (measured with digital calipers) would be the size of pipe used.

SPQR
11-05-2011, 09:11 PM
The pipe is still curving as it enters the chrome tip so the diameter is not exactly the same in the vertical plane as it is in the horizontal plane due to the bending, however 50mm (measured with digital calipers) would be the size of pipe used.

I think juld0zer asked for the circumference.

juld0zer
12-05-2011, 12:34 AM
circumference or diameter was fine :) thanks heaps!
i was about to buy a euro exhaust tip, pity my pipe is 54mm diameter :(
thanks again for your help