PDA

View Full Version : disconnecting A/C P/S during engine removal?

BlitZ
14-06-2006, 02:27 PM
Do i need to degas (a/c) the thing?
Or can i just unhook the belt and unbolt the a/c unit and let it sit on the side?

same goes for P/S ?

thanks for you assiantance

BlitZ
14-06-2006, 02:28 PM
can comeone move it to technical?

incoming
14-06-2006, 02:38 PM
degas it man.. take it to auto electrician
it cheap to do as well

BlitZ
14-06-2006, 02:45 PM
can i degas at home? or would i die?

stocky
14-06-2006, 02:45 PM
I would just unhook it and sit it to the side, there will be enough room.

BlitZ
14-06-2006, 02:49 PM
I would just unhook it and sit it to the side, there will be enough room.

same for p/s?

incoming
14-06-2006, 02:57 PM
a/c gas vents is toxic and illegal to vent into the atmosphere!

stocky
14-06-2006, 03:06 PM
same for p/s?
yeah, just unbolt the pump from the bracket and zip tie it to the radiator support.

There is also less mess from no oil going around and you dont end up losing those stupid o rings that connect the a/c lines

Jazzle
14-06-2006, 03:13 PM
degas it man.. take it to auto electrician
it cheap to do as well

sorry to interrupt, do u mean it's cheap to degas it or remove the whole a/c unit. Im planning to remove the whole a/c unit, but I dont know how to. How much is it to get someone professional to remove it??

thank you

incoming
14-06-2006, 03:33 PM
cheap to degas.... sorry i wasnt clear...

u can unbolt the a/c unit yourself.. just need spanners and socket.. very easy!

Jazzle
14-06-2006, 04:33 PM
is it?? wat components do i have to remove?? Will it also disable the ventilation system? coz i just wanna remove the a/c unit.

thanx heaps for the reply

incoming
14-06-2006, 04:46 PM
what car did u wana take it off?
the 86 civic?... i just took it off my 85 civic...

its pretty much universal across all cars.. but im guessing this is for the 3G civic
start by getting it degassed
then remove the 2 metal hoses that go into the firewall..
remove the front bar to get to the a/c radiator/fan
follow the metal hoses, & undo bolts along the way, to the a/c radiator&consdensor... undo the hoses that connect to that and remove
u should be able to get the condensor, a/c radiator off as well

next part is tricky cos there isnt much room to play with cos the a/c compressor sits close to the radiator... but get under the car cut the a/c belt
remove the tensioner... and undo the a/c compressor thats mounted under the engine mounts and it will come off..

i cant go into detail cos i cant rem where the bolts are exactly...
but if u DIY u will see what im talking about..

ECU-MAN
14-06-2006, 08:17 PM
do not degass

its illegal as well as dangerous and stipid to vent HFC R12 to the atmosphere

as mentioned above. unbolt it and put it aside. do the same with the power steering pump.

an advantage of not degassing the AC is that you dont need to regass it when your done. less cost.

Zdster
14-06-2006, 08:57 PM
do not degass

its illegal as well as dangerous and stipid to vent HFC R12 to the atmosphere

as mentioned above. unbolt it and put it aside. do the same with the power steering pump.

an advantage of not degassing the AC is that you dont need to regass it when your done. less cost.

For a novice, ie me, why or how is it potentially dangerous? Are the gasses themselves harmful and the issue is potentially breathing them in? Just curious.

ECU-MAN
14-06-2006, 08:59 PM
R12 and other HFC refrigerants turn into nerv gas if you breath in the ignited fumes.

eg
smoking while exposed to fumes.

nerv gas. that shit aint nice

also a dose of refrigerant on you skin can burn you. ( cold burn )

freeze an eye ball. then it can scratch easyer or shatter.

not to mention what they do to the ozone

this stuff is for real and should be delt with respect and care.

that is why there are regulations.

oil in AC systems can make brake fluid look like paint stripper as well.

Zdster
14-06-2006, 09:14 PM
Yowza. Thanks for letting myself (and anyone else reading this) know about the potential harmful issues. I guess the point is, take it to an expert! :)

Jazzle
14-06-2006, 10:41 PM
thanx sooooooo much for the info incoming.. appreciated =)

btw, it's a 86 crx so 1G crx and i will take a look and see if i should diy it.. haha

incoming
15-06-2006, 08:02 AM
lol by degassing i MEANT take it to an auto electrican...
as mentioned in my earlier posts

joyride
16-06-2006, 07:54 AM
thanx sooooooo much for the info incoming.. appreciated =)

btw, it's a 86 crx so 1G crx and i will take a look and see if i should diy it.. haha

the below steps is for the 3G civic, i assume its the same as the 1G crx since they were built around the same time...

taking off the a/c unit is the hardest bit. there are 2 long ass bolts that hold the unit (held in at the top and bottom). when you take the bolts out, you'd have to keep shifting the unit around until you get a clear view of one of the bolts that mount that holds the unit on the engine block (there are 2 bolts for the mount, one is piss easy to take off). once you get the mount off, its as easy as dropping the unit down and pulling it out from under. btw you'll have to remove the splash guard obviously.
if your radiator is long (not short like the EG civics) be careful not to dent the fins on the radiator. put a cardboard box alongside the radiator to protect it.

one last thing, wear gloves cause the bottom of engine block/unit is very greasy/dirty/slimy.

bennjamin
16-06-2006, 09:20 AM
IMO just pay the $30 or 40 and get it degassed ~ and you can just rip it out anyway.

if you MUST degass it - it onyl costs about $30 - give this guy a call

*NORTHSIDE AUTO ELECTRICAL* 0419 430 734 - he will drive out to you (in Sydney) and degass it http://forums.clubrsx.com/images/smilies/smile_color.gif

but apart from that - yes you can simply move it to the side as Tinkerbell suggested http://forums.clubrsx.com/images/smilies/smile_color.gif