PDA

View Full Version : Your Views on Del Sol ECU for going Turbo

crxdude
14-06-2006, 06:18 PM
94 Del Sol Vtec, The whole engine is going into a turbo conversion in abouts a months time, i saved alot of money for it, its going to be quick, but iam stuck at which computer is needed at best, which do you think will do the job best for a t03/04 turbo onto, ive got a vtec controllor also aside so the vtec hits at about 3000rpm but iam stuck at wat kind of comoputer will i need, how much iam i looking at also at the same time

JasonGilholme
14-06-2006, 07:16 PM
Not sure wat everyone else will say about vtec kickin at 3000 rpm but I believe it will really limit you're engines abilities.

I'd probably go with a proven product like hondata or something equivalent.

saxman
14-06-2006, 07:35 PM
get rid of the vtec controller... throw it in a lake or burry it under a rock or something... it has absolutely no reason to be anywhere around a turbo honda.

real ecu set up only... none of this fmu, vafc, emanage buisness

ECU-MAN
14-06-2006, 08:05 PM
like saxman says

you probabbly want to hit VTEC at 6000 RPM

you already have the ecu you need to use in your car

OBDI P30.

just make it tunable. eg hondata, crome, uber, ect

also I edit your title for the thread.

crxdude
15-06-2006, 05:22 PM
So Vtec kicking at 3-4000 rpm is no good? i dont understand why,

I just figured that it will help vtec strart earlier then the turbo kicks in

ECU-MAN
15-06-2006, 06:08 PM
when you tune an engine you tune each cam until it stops making maximum power.

low speed cam will still make power at 6k rpm. then you tune the high speed cam.

you set the Vtec to the point where the low speed cam has made max power and high speed cam starts making power. and this is not at 3k

a vtec controller only mechanicly changes vtec point. you your are running on a high speed cam but the ecu is still running low speed fuel and ignition maps.

this is not efective.

krogoth
16-06-2006, 11:24 AM
wat do u guyz think of a re-mapped ecu? im not the computer programmer, but i think it shood be just as effective, although im naturally suspicious of strange paths like re-mapped ecu, so id go for something from hondata

and like ecu-man said, VTEC comiing in at 3000rpm isnt a good idea and wil limit ur cars capacity to produce power, get rid of the VTEC controller, and go bak to the original factory settings, VTEC is a complicated mechanism and the engineers at Honda made specific settings for every honda with VTEC, they set the VTEC to kik in at wat they thought was the appropriate engine speed, and that rpm was chosen after alot of research and experimentation, its most likely that the stok VTEC point is the optimum point, IMO dont stuff with it

but ur getting a turbo and thats gona complicate things, but im not sure how. lol, i think physically putting in all the parts for a turbo and making ur engine strong enuf to deal with it, is the easy bit, the hard and VERY important part is getting the tuning done perfectly, which will possibly b a slow and annoying process, IMO, unless u get it tuned properly, the turbo wont be very efficient and will prob b doing more harm than good, sorry for the long post

saxman
16-06-2006, 12:01 PM
So Vtec kicking at 3-4000 rpm is no good? i dont understand why,

I just figured that it will help vtec strart earlier then the turbo kicks in
the entire purpose of vtec is allow for two different cam profiles... one of which is better at low rpm, one that's better at high speed.

By lowering the vtec engagement point, you're causing the motor to use the cam profile that is worse off for that paticular motor speed. Vtec engagement occurs where the high cam profile becomes more beneficial than the low cam profile.

by having your engagement point set so low, all you're doing is making your car slower

Ahmad
16-06-2006, 05:33 PM
how much would a turbo convertion to a del sol end up costing(estimate)... just curious... sorry to go off topic...

Twincam16
16-06-2006, 05:51 PM
Very broad cost breakdown of b16 turbo...

1. DIY - $4000-$5000 (130-140kwaw with piggyback/standalone ecu & decent tune, cheaper HD clutch - problems may arise - bad fuel consumption, pinging, boost probs etc.)

2. Workshop - $6000-$9000 (150-200kwaw with more expensive parts & re-programmable ECU ie. PowerFC/Hondata - properly tuned - headwork - cost depends on choice of parts, ecu, and who you know - you need a good package, and an excellent tuner!)

3. Power - $9000+ (200kwaw+ Top shelf parts, good ecu + tune, re-done fuel system, p&p, lumpy cams, stroked to 1.8L if wanted for more torque - at this stage money isnt though about, its just change to you :p )

You are probably at stage 1, you will buy a small turbo kit, possibly a 2nd hand AVO (GSi-PSi is selling one) or one off the net, fit it with your mates, get Hondata, or some kind of piggyback (not reccomended) and the other bits and pieces. Do not buy any sus shit from Ebay, especially $150 turbo manifolds.

You will spend about $6 grand all up on a decent turbo conversion, and then you will spend a bit more in future on shit that goes bad.

Same principals for any turbo conversion.

saxman
17-06-2006, 08:33 AM
any simple diy set up should be able to easily make way more than 130 kwatw on a stock internalled b16...
there's no reason you can't do a diy set up for all the parts, (which from what I've seen from most workshops means higher quality parts, not lower, if you do your homework right), and then just have a shop tune the motor on a good ecu set up.

krogoth
17-06-2006, 06:11 PM
crxdude, we r just giving u a couple of hints and tips, for the whole story on how to do it properly, read this link thoroughly

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22651

i think ull find it very useful