PDA

View Full Version : tracking my s2

BRU51N
16-06-2006, 01:11 AM
hey guys,
ill be tracking my s2k soon, and just wanted afew tips, on what is needed etc to prep up for track..

ive recently purchased some new brake pads, havnt got them installed yet, is it required that i machine down my rotors? they seem to be pretty smooth.

im also getting the car serviced this week and fitting the pads with a wheel alignment. what kinda oil should i be running?

also, how should my coilovers be set up if i was only running 16" semi slicks on the rear and street tyres on the front? not quite sure how high and hard i should set them up to.

cheers,
willy

robert112
16-06-2006, 09:13 AM
Oil, you should search. been covered.
Pads, you should get ferodo dsc2500 if you have the $$$
coilover setup, Don't know, depends on the track. if your goin wakefield it'll probably be the softest setup compared to other tracks as wakefield is very bumpy but in saying that, I don't know any of the rates that you should be running. Also comes down to driving style.

I recommend you go get the same semis on the front of the car. I wouldn't track a car on 2 different tyres just pay a bit more and get the fronts done too.

thats just my 0.5 a cent.
good luck

aaronng
16-06-2006, 09:52 AM
No need to machine your rotors. But give your pads about 50-100km of city driving to run in.

.::F[L]Y::.
16-06-2006, 04:47 PM
with semis on the rear and crappy tyres on the front u might experience some understeer at the first right hand corner, fish hook and the last corner.

When i went i had my fronts on stiffest and rear on softest. Maybe if you play around with the settings abit it might help reduce the understeer problem

Ferrari
16-06-2006, 08:19 PM
S2000 with an understeer problem? What tyres where you running Fly? Was this with the gramlights?

chicken8
16-06-2006, 08:42 PM
some ppl will say use thinner oil for better performance

and some will say use thicker oil for more protection

upto u

WhiteAP1
17-06-2006, 12:38 AM
best bet would be to head over to s2ki.com in the Australian forum, post a thread reading something like "(insert track name here) track day, what setup do u use" they'll be able to tell u all u need to know.

.::F[L]Y::.
17-06-2006, 12:43 AM
S2000 with an understeer problem? What tyres where you running Fly? Was this with the gramlights?

i was running RE55S for the rears and s02's for the fronts. Using my standard wheels. the understeer could also be due to the fat front sway bar i had and my poor coilover setup. I didnt know how to adjust them dampers properly for the conditions. Who would have though aye...understeer in the s2k

BRU51N
17-06-2006, 01:33 AM
yeh its for wakefield

i got front and rear ferodo dsc2500's, ill try clock up as many kms as possible to wear them in.

im planning to soften the front and harden the back abit more... im hoping it'll help me with the understeer.

should i be worrying about diff/gearbox with the semi-slicks? only reason i ask this is because i blew my diff with good tyres on my wrx, while it was rear wheel drive, and blew my diff. dont want the same sh*t happen again.

and what kinda tyre pressure should i be running with the semi-slicks, is it wise to run lower psi on the fronts for better traction on the front street tyres?

blusir2
26-06-2006, 11:26 AM
yeh its for wakefield

i got front and rear ferodo dsc2500's, ill try clock up as many kms as possible to wear them in.

im planning to soften the front and harden the back abit more... im hoping it'll help me with the understeer.

should i be worrying about diff/gearbox with the semi-slicks? only reason i ask this is because i blew my diff with good tyres on my wrx, while it was rear wheel drive, and blew my diff. dont want the same sh*t happen again.

and what kinda tyre pressure should i be running with the semi-slicks, is it wise to run lower psi on the fronts for better traction on the front street tyres?

mate ur not gonna start comparing ur rexxy gearbox to a S2K one are u now??

u should set the car front and back the same. Then drive a few laps to learn wat is needed. Obviously if u understeer then either loosen up the front or increase the dampening on the back.. depends wat kind of driver u are and wat slicks u have... u should be spending the first hour setting up your car so it is near perfect so that u can get the required lap times u want.. no point tryin all day to beat a PB when u have reached ur max due to a less efficient set up.. spend a bit of time setting it up...

many ppl make the mistake of jumping in and trying to get as many laps as possible coz u feel like u may wanna get ur moneys worth..

i would recommend u pump ur tyres a little more as they will leak while under extreme heat and pressure from the cornering.. depending on ur side wall if u release too much air then u will slide a bit more out of corners as the sidewall is not as firm.. to reduce heat in the tyres i suggest u chip in with sum frens and get a bottle of nitrogen from BOC and use that in ur tyres.. its a inert gas so it doesnt heap up anywhere near as much as compressed air... u will get more laps out of the tyres and they wun be as hot...

and i guess at the end of the day i always say "just have fun"..

take care.. hope u have a good track day mate

Jason
TODA Racing Australia

AusS2000
28-06-2006, 09:17 AM
its a inert gas so it doesnt heap up anywhere near as much as compressed air... u will get more laps out of the tyres and they wun be as hot...

Boyle might disagree with you.

The reason nitrogen is used is that it doesn't hold moisture. The water content in air results in greater expansion in hot conditions so nitrogen is used for it's predictability.

If you would be happy with a filler gas that is 80% nitrogen drop me a line and I'll sell you some cheap. ;)

blusir2
28-06-2006, 01:28 PM

The reason nitrogen is used is that it doesn't hold moisture. The water content in air results in greater expansion in hot conditions so nitrogen is used for it's predictability.

If you would be happy with a filler gas that is 80% nitrogen drop me a line and I'll sell you some cheap. ;)

sorry dude im not a scientist... i thought my explanation was stating the same results as urs...

i guess my explanation wasnt nerdy enough... hahaha..

anywayz.. try it mate...

Spunkymonkey
28-06-2006, 02:36 PM
Bru51n report on how you go - interested to see how much better than previous the ferodos are on your car...haven't had a chance to track my car since I had the ferodos on the front, but will soon have some slotted rotors/ferodo ds2500s on the back to go with the front set so should be interesting how well the car pulls up when I go back, but won't be for a while!

slugger
11-07-2006, 08:13 PM

Wayne, you are obviously NOT a mechanical engineer. Although your reasoning runs true in the sense of a RACE car, a ROAD car tyre NEVER is subject to the elevated temperatures (or variation) that a RACE car tyre is.

A ROAD car would utilise Nitrogen to pressurise it's tyres to avoid erosion of the pressure valve.
Nitrogen use in motorsport is also debatable.
Do you know what Formula 1 use....?
Argon.

AusS2000
11-07-2006, 10:27 PM
So you're saying I'm right about why nitrogen is used (less moisture) but that it's effect on expansion in road cars is minimal, so they use the 'erosion' excuse to trick you into paying for it. So what part of that proves I'm not a mechanical engineer? To me it just proves you're gullible.

And what has F1 got to do with it? Not sure about you but I don't drive an F1 car.

AusS2000
11-07-2006, 10:38 PM
BTW, did you notice the title of this thread?

AusS2000
11-07-2006, 10:42 PM
sorry dude im not a scientist... i thought my explanation was stating the same results as urs...

i guess my explanation wasnt nerdy enough... hahaha..

No, it was just incorrect. Refering to a gas as inert is pretty nerdy, but nitrogen is not an inert gas. If it was it wouldn't combine with Oxygen and make that gas that makes us laugh in more ways than one.

slugger
12-07-2006, 10:59 AM
Im not gullible, just have a Masters in Mechanical Engineering.

AusS2000
12-07-2006, 05:25 PM
Whoop-dee-doo!

blusir2
12-07-2006, 05:35 PM
No, it was just incorrect. Refering to a gas as inert is pretty nerdy, but nitrogen is not an inert gas. If it was it wouldn't combine with Oxygen and make that gas that makes us laugh in more ways than one.

well dun mean to prove u wrong but i didnt think my chemistry was that bad...

Nitrogen is a chemical element which has the symbol N and atomic number 7 in the periodic table. Elemental nitrogen is a colorless, odorless, tasteless and mostly inert diatomic gas at standard conditions, constituting 78.08% percent of Earth's atmosphere. Nitrogen is a constituent element of all living tissues and amino acids. Many industrially important compounds, such as ammonia, nitric acid, and cyanides, contain nitrogen.

just google Nitrogen..

i thought this forum was made to try and help other ppl and learn from eachother.. no need for such attitude dude.. its not a spellin B or science quiz..

Jason
TODA Racing AUstralia

WhiteAP1
12-07-2006, 05:59 PM
I use atomic gas, refined from dilithium crystals off the 7th vulcan moon, works best with mugen valve caps.

slugger
12-07-2006, 06:12 PM
Yes, Nitrogen is very inert, even at between 20 and 40 pounds per square inch pressure.

aaronng
12-07-2006, 06:56 PM
N2 won't combine with O2 to produce N2O. To make N2O, you decompose ammonium nitrate NH4 NO3 at high temperature to make N2O. Don't confuse atoms with molecules.

slugger
12-07-2006, 07:22 PM
Correct, before you make a comment via a post, you should ensure you know what you are posting is factual. My case is rested.

AusS2000
13-07-2006, 09:02 AM
Ok, we're really getting anal now. Nitrogen is not 'inert'. Nitrogen gas has inert properties because it is stable but it still isn't inert. The inert gases are Helium (He), Neon (Ne), Argon (Ar), Krypton (Kr), Xenon (Xe), and Radon (Rn).

Regardless, the reason nitrogen is used in competition cars is that it's change with relation to temperature is more predictable than air (a mix of nitrogen, oxygen and a small percentage of other gases such as argon). The reason it is used in road cars is either the same, or more likely because tyre places can profit from it. They may use the corrosion excuse but that is just a part of the scam.

AusS2000
13-07-2006, 09:17 AM
Jason - I apologise if you can't stand being corrected. I meant no offence. I didn't realise this forum held peoples fragile egos above correct information.

slugger
13-07-2006, 10:38 AM
Who's fragile Wayne?

AusS2000
13-07-2006, 10:43 AM
Do you have a degree in psychology as well?

aaronng
13-07-2006, 11:17 AM
Oh, stop fighting you two.....

Thread closed until threadstarter decides to give an update.