PDA

View Full Version : Battery Question

RiseOfBrutality
16-06-2006, 12:38 PM
Hey all,

hope im posting this in the right place
looking to upgrade my system, subs, amp, head unit and afew other electronics, with all the stuff im looking to pack into my EK, what would be the best thing to get so all this does not drain out my battery quickly

any ideas???

Fr3aKi3
16-06-2006, 01:18 PM
Well it all depends on what you're getting really. If you're going to get a low powered amp and sub then there isn't a real need to upgrade the battery or alternator. Also if you're just going to be using the system for daily listening for yourself and not everyone else on the road (as in you're not going to pump it up to the extent that people who are 3 streets away can hear your) then there isn't really a need to upgrade the battery either. The battery will generally drain out quick if you're using the system without the engine running as the battery won't be getting charged.

Headunit won't put that much strain on the electrical system, it's mainly the amp and sub. Different amps and subs will have different power needs so that'll have different effects on you're electrical system, as does how loud you'll be listening to the system. The louder the sound the more power needed.

Currently i've got a DD C4 amp running it at 2x75wrms and 1x500wrms, which is powering my speakers and sub. I've been cleaning my car with the system on (without engine running) and I've never had a problem with a dead battery, although I'd usually only leave it on without the motor running for half an hour just to be safe... lol. I've still got a standard battery and alternator.

If you want to be on the safe side and upgrade the electrical side of things on your car then upgrade the battery (Optima or Odyssey) and have your alternator checked out to see what condition it's in. If need be get it upgrade as well and also take a look at the wiring.

Zdster
16-06-2006, 01:28 PM
Well it all depends on what you're getting really. If you're going to get a low powered amp and sub then there isn't a real need to upgrade the battery or alternator. Also if you're just going to be using the system for daily listening for yourself and not everyone else on the road (as in you're not going to pump it up to the extent that people who are 3 streets away can hear your) then there isn't really a need to upgrade the battery either. The battery will generally drain out quick if you're using the system without the engine running as the battery won't be getting charged.

Headunit won't put that much strain on the electrical system, it's mainly the amp and sub. Different amps and subs will have different power needs so that'll have different effects on you're electrical system, as does how loud you'll be listening to the system. The louder the sound the more power needed.

Currently i've got a DD C4 amp running it at 2x75wrms and 1x500wrms, which is powering my speakers and sub. I've been cleaning my car with the system on (without engine running) and I've never had a problem with a dead battery, although I'd usually only leave it on without the motor running for half an hour just to be safe... lol. I've still got a standard battery and alternator.

If you want to be on the safe side and upgrade the electrical side of things on your car then upgrade the battery (Optima or Odyssey) and have your alternator checked out to see what condition it's in. If need be get it upgrade as well and also take a look at the wiring.

Very well said. It really depends on your system and how you plan to use it.

Only other thing you might want to consider is a capacitor as well???

RiseOfBrutality
16-06-2006, 01:58 PM
thanks for the tips guys :thumbsup:
ill keep all this in mind when i upgrade everything
cheers

fusionprelude
16-06-2006, 02:53 PM
get a dry cell odessey battery it will last longer than s***y batterys and it has a quick charge rate which it may help
http://www.odysseybatteries.com/batteries.htm

aaronng
16-06-2006, 02:59 PM
If you are upgraded to sub and amp, and want to use them with your car off, then make sure you get a battery that is designed for deep discharge. I think the Odyssey recommended above might have a deep discharge model.

fusionprelude
16-06-2006, 03:03 PM
the PC 925MJT is a good one for that

aaronng
16-06-2006, 03:16 PM
That battery has to be mounted on its side. Remember to check for clearance for the terminals. In my car, the PC 925MJT's -ve terminal is mighty close to the battery tie down bar.

GRU53M
16-06-2006, 04:16 PM
My personal opinion would be a OPTIMA battery over the odessey as i had an ESV1000 battery and in 12 months it was going flat so now iu have a OPTIMA D34 yellow top and had no troubles in over a year.

aaronng
16-06-2006, 04:34 PM
My personal opinion would be a OPTIMA battery over the odessey as i had an ESV1000 battery and in 12 months it was going flat so now iu have a OPTIMA D34 yellow top and had no troubles in over a year.
Odyssey battery part numbers start with "PC" are you sure you have the same battery brand?

GRU53M
16-06-2006, 04:39 PM
Odyssey battery part numbers start with "PC" are you sure you have the same battery brand?

Yes im sure it was it was the ESV 12v 1000 that was out about 2 years ago.

Fr3aKi3
16-06-2006, 04:57 PM
I've read that an Optima is preffered over and Odyssey, reason being is that the Odyssey requires maintenance to get the longest life whereas the Optima doesn't require any maintenance at all. Whichever you end up getting just be sure it's a deep cycle battery.

RiseOfBrutality
16-06-2006, 08:58 PM
after reading the recent post, ill probably be going the optima batterys
thanks for the advised guys :thumbsup:

ToFuBoi
30-06-2006, 01:56 PM
dont forget if you havnt got them already you should put in larger sized wiring... 4g at least

Fhrx
02-07-2006, 08:18 AM
We install and recommend installing batteries like Optima's, Stingers and Odyssey's if you're going to run a serious aftermarket system. :)

This is what our Civic / D51 combo looks like:

http://www.fastfoursforumscarclub.com/temp/fhrxstudios/images/interest_64.jpg

tegboy
02-07-2006, 05:35 PM
I love my Optima, I have flattened it a number of times, and once recharged its as good as new again