PDA

View Full Version : How to tell engine needs rebuild

twing
16-06-2006, 05:11 PM
Hi all,

I'm thinking of engine rebuild. Mine is a bit rough sometime on idle and it has plenty Kms. What is the symptom of engine requires rebuild?

Thx in advance,

bennjamin
16-06-2006, 05:15 PM
does it use much oil ? Blow blue/grey smoke at all ?

Honda engines live as long as their owners let them...

twing
16-06-2006, 05:20 PM
nope.

I top up too much oil (abt 1cm above the top level) and drove it for a few days. I heard that too much oil will destroy the piston ring.

so far no smoke... good sign so far :P

Limbo
16-06-2006, 05:21 PM
If your car starts to drink oil( and i mean drink you'll know when it happens) and then you start blowing smoke all the time then its time.

Limbo
16-06-2006, 05:23 PM
nope.

I top up too much oil (abt 1cm above the top level) and drove it for a few days. I heard that too much oil will destroy the piston ring.

Takes more than that to wreck an engine. You need excessive oil and then drive the car badly to do that.

EuroDude
16-06-2006, 06:17 PM
Time for a rebuild when the cars behind you roll up their windows and turn on the Air Recirculation ;)

EuroDude
16-06-2006, 06:20 PM
nope.

eh it should be ok. Once I put a whole 5Litre container of oil in my Civic (6 Litres total!) and it blew heaps of white smoke and performance was really bad.

I chugged home and drained the excess oil, cleaned the oil off the spark plugs, and its been fine ever since (180,000km ago) :D

At 250,000km, its not blowing any smoke and the exhaust smells fine :thumbsup:

civiceg9
16-06-2006, 08:08 PM
nope.

1cm is alot, just put abit over the top level.
Too much and it will make your engine run sluggish etc.

twing
16-06-2006, 10:20 PM
eh it should be ok. Once I put a whole 5Litre container of oil in my Civic (6 Litres total!) and it blew heaps of white smoke and performance was really bad.

I chugged home and drained the excess oil, cleaned the oil off the spark plugs, and its been fine ever since (180,000km ago) :D

At 250,000km, its not blowing any smoke and the exhaust smells fine :thumbsup:

could you help to sniff mine too?... :p hehehehehe... thx for sharing.

6 lt !!! that is nearly twice the motor can handle.