PDA

View Full Version : in car computer

jkz
18-06-2006, 01:20 AM
im planning on running a computer in my 2006 civic but i was wondering if there are any cons on running the setup in a new car.

|N|
18-06-2006, 01:21 AM
computer as in aftermarket ECU? or as if like compter PC/laptop???

simbadda54
18-06-2006, 01:29 AM
in car so im guessing a laptop so it makes him look like the guy on fast and the furious.

J-MuN
18-06-2006, 02:26 AM
I'm guessing PC/Laptop styles but with indash screen integrated with wireless bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse.

saxman
18-06-2006, 08:08 AM
mp3car.com for all that info

dsp26
18-06-2006, 10:21 AM
use this:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Lilliput-In-Dash-DVD-Car-PC-computer-with-CD-Burner_W0QQitemZ9739681821QQcategoryZ14946QQrdZ1QQ cmdZViewItem

get a touch screen monitor in a seperate DIN and your set.

- you can have your ecu (emanage software instaleld) permanently hooked up to this
- have GPS/Navigation
- All you MP3s
- Windows XP?!?! (why really?)
- pr0n?? ;) lol jkz

nugget666
18-06-2006, 10:49 AM
in car so im guessing a laptop so it makes him look like the guy on fast and the furious.

D/\ng3rz 2 Da man1foldz

tRipitaka
18-06-2006, 10:52 AM
be a sk and get wireless.. then drive around your neighbourhood stealing bandwith :thumbsup:

Fr3aKi3
18-06-2006, 01:00 PM
Or do you mean a carputer? Where the "computer" is integrated into the actual car, such as this:

http://www.caraudioaustralia.com/pr_images/3.jpghttp://www.caraudioaustralia.com/pr_images/2.jpghttp://www.caraudioaustralia.com/pr_images/1.jpg

JaCe
18-06-2006, 01:15 PM
I've heard that alot of ppl do it purely to manage their music- and would probably be better off with a standard system.

Btw Fr3aKi3, that centre pic looks like a Civic! Got any more info on it? looks slick.

dsp26
18-06-2006, 01:29 PM
^^^tis a Civic but it's the American 2-door one... no Aus model will get that afaik.

Fr3aKi3
18-06-2006, 01:35 PM
^^^tis a Civic but it's the American 2-door one... no Aus model will get that afaik.

No model will get that fullstop... lol
It's an aftermarket mod, in much the same way as an aftermarket audio system although more complex.

JaCe: Sent you a PM

JaCe
18-06-2006, 01:41 PM
Didn't get a PM? :(
EDIT: Got it now. Ta.

It looks really well fitted, although I can't help but wonder if the air conditioning controls are too low now. At the moment in my Civic I really like the dash layout- everything seems to be ergonomically sound- it's perfect reach and easy to use. But then the coolness of having a nice screen there (potentially with GPS!) would be awesome. I'm still tossing up whether or not I want an ugly "stick on the windshield with suction cap" GPS system or not.

dsp26
18-06-2006, 01:41 PM
^^^damn... it was in a few of the pics on their site... bastards couldn't be ****ed installing Aus GPS/Maps. someone here getting their hands on just the dash mould would be an idea though

JaCe
18-06-2006, 01:46 PM
I'm pretty sure some places would be willing to custom make it for you; but then in a new car... the last thing I'd wanna do is be ripping out the dash and so on- potentially exposing me to many problems and Honda saying "Too bad you modified it; not our problem anymore".

zedevan
18-06-2006, 11:42 PM
hey, i've got a comp in my car so thought u might like my input. generally the dashes are pretty easy to pull apart and you can go and buy a spare centre bit and molding it in aint that hard, i'll do it for ya if u want (industrial design student), hell my family buisness can set the whole system up for you if u want (along with hid retrofits :D)

the only issues are it is a computer, so if ur running windows, you have the problem that its running windows, so you have to actully be bothered sorting out the issues etc, and finding a way you like inputting it and find the song you like etc, and the front end you want to use, so download them from mp3car.com and play around with them, centrafuse is probably the nicest for people who dont wanna set things up

all in all in comparison it kicks any other system, particually value for money, as you could do it for the same price as one of those stick on gps systems...which you never EVER want to have to buy new maps for, specially if you have an old laptop or something sitting around that you can use. and if you wanna do it for show u can integrate a pda in there to let your passengers select ur next song (and ofcourse wifi your songs onto ur carpc)

so the possibilities are endless, and you can always leave a normal headunit in there too for those times you can't b bothered with the pc, but when you can set up auto booting and shutdown, u could even get it to turn on with ur car remote autostart if ur that lazy :p just look at what ppl do on mp3car and you can see there is a reason and advantage to do this, search for 350z installs and e46 bmw ones, they look factory :cool: and its not really a ricer thing like fast and furious, although you can get it to monitor OBO, i guess it just depends where you stick the screen as to how ricey it is

ECU-MAN
19-06-2006, 07:12 PM
you can also monitor your engine vitals on the fly :)

you guys watch to much pimp my ride

good idea though :)

chunky
19-06-2006, 07:14 PM
lol just take a laptop with you

zedevan
20-06-2006, 12:04 AM
as i think i said...mines just an old laptop sitting under the seat, but if its a laptop ur actively using for other things people get those docks so its fast and easy to put them in and out. or if you know someone who dropped their laptop and broke the screen its a perfect use for it :D

lazy people just buy tablet pc's and stick them on a weird bracket on the dash but it looks pretty bad...

http://www.viczcar.com/forums/files/dash_274.jpg

thats mine, honda logo and all :s, that was just after i put the screen in, pity i haven't spent anytime on it since...i just have it going randomly through my 30gb of music on it, and watch movies/tv eps while waiting for my gf when i go to pick her up

Dray_Templar
04-07-2006, 01:27 PM
hi guess i'm looking at doing the same sorta thing either with the suggested broken laptop screen, or going the whole custom pc. anway i just found this power supply think it might be handy if other people are looking for the same thing some time.

some words to help with search:
DC-DC coverted.
12 volt power for pc
12 pc power supply for car
car pc
carputer

link to great power supply for incar carputer
http://www.advanceae.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=3175&osCsid=647166734ca5ade2b6fac100c9f7d95b

Dylanamus
04-07-2006, 03:30 PM
http://www.denguru.com/2006/06/22/rolling_your_own_car_pc/

Here's an interesting DIY done by Tom's Hardware. It requires an intermediate understanding of electronics and computers for you to be able to follow it.

zedevan
04-07-2006, 06:09 PM
those opus things sometimes comeup on ebay america for a bit less, and u can get lower wattage versions if ur not wanting to run things that need that much power, but yeah if i were building up a pc to use in my car i'd be using one of the opus power supplies or something similar