PDA

View Full Version : del sol problems...

mr_vtec
18-06-2006, 02:30 PM
hey guys um my new delsol has a lil problem:( anyways umm when i turn the car on and let it ideal the temp goes up as normal as soon as i drive it the temp gauge will drop to c again.. wats that prob here..

g3vtir
18-06-2006, 03:19 PM
thermostat s most likely stuck open

taz_435
26-07-2006, 05:16 PM
i have got the same problem
temp gauge keeps moving between 1/4 and 1/2?

Twincam16
26-07-2006, 06:37 PM
How long are you driving before it goes back to cold?

JasonGilholme
26-07-2006, 09:36 PM
I just got a Del Sol and mine is fine. Never seems to move at all, even if i push her hard for a while.

I'd be testin the thermostat out dude. Theres a few DIY's on here somewhere on how to remove it and test it.

Good Luck.

destrukshn
26-07-2006, 09:40 PM
yah, i would say thermostat.
on your car.
the steps would go something like this
* take out intake pipe.
* drain coolant
* disconnect the lower radiator hose from the thermostat housing (practically underneath and next to the dizzy)
* undo the 2 or 3 10 mm bolts.
* the take out and replace the thermostat.

anfz
26-07-2006, 11:42 PM
Yeah mate just change the thermostat,I had the same problem in my del sol as well only a week ago ,It was about $60 from honda

Mr_will
27-07-2006, 12:27 AM
had exactly the same problem on my integra.

the reason the temp goes down again is because coolant is flowing through the radiator when it should be recirculating through the block. as a result, the cooling system is in fact working TOO efficiently, and your engine is dropping below ideal operating temp.

good luck changing the thermo, if you need any help or tips give us all a shout!

aaronng
27-07-2006, 08:38 AM
And here's the DIY if you decide to replace it yourself.
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16767

Kiz_EG6
30-07-2006, 07:05 PM
Guys, got the same prob with my civic and my girlfriend's del sol. (both B16)

Where should the factory temp gague be sittin at optimum.

Seems to drop pretty much to 0 every time i put the heater on or go down a long hill!!

My g/f's is so bad sometimes that it cools down too much to hit vtec!!

Is this a common B16 prob?

Mr_will
30-07-2006, 07:11 PM
common in the sense that these engines are fairly old (depending on the car in question) and the rubber cant last forever.

optimum is slightly below the halfway mark, or thereabouts

saxman
30-07-2006, 07:42 PM
I've never seen a normal running del sol sit anywhere other than right in the middle or just slightly lower

Boban
30-07-2006, 10:53 PM
Are the honda ones meant to stay open if they stuff up???
My one was closed, so it overheated, a while back. Doing the thermostat is really simple even i did it :), I didn't know genuine honda was only $60, so i got some aftermarket one for $20 :p

aaronng
30-07-2006, 11:47 PM
Are the honda ones meant to stay open if they stuff up???
My one was closed, so it overheated, a while back. Doing the thermostat is really simple even i did it :), I didn't know genuine honda was only $60, so i got some aftermarket one for $20 :p
Honda thermostats fail open so that in the case of a thermostat failure, you don't overheat and crack your engine head. If you can find an aftermarket one that fails open, then go for it. Otherwise, go for Honda. quite a few aftermarket thermostats fail close. I'd rather pay the extra $40 over having to replace a cracked head.