PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilt engine, running in? Tuning?

spetz
18-06-2006, 05:28 PM
Just wondering, with a freshly built engine, with a few mods on it, what do I do about tuning it?
Should it be tuned only to roughly 5000rpm and not on WOT until I put some km on it, or just get it tuned from the beginning?

Cams and internals are stock, and this is what it has:
Decked, ported and polished heads
Match ported intake runners with machined plenum and oversize TB (5mm overbore), pod filter, CAI etc
Extractors, high flow cat, exhaust
Insulator blocks on TB and intake manifold
shotpeened conrods, rising rate fuel pressure regulator and Greddy e-manage piggyback

shebangs
19-06-2006, 01:01 PM
What engine?

I'd make sure the basemap were safe enough to run for a few thousand KM's, then tune it properly. This is a pretty hot topic though, many don't believe you need to run your engine in at all.

Matt

aaronng
19-06-2006, 01:14 PM
Did you get the bores rehoned and new compression and oil control rings installed? If yes, then get it tuned straight away because you have to run it with sufficient load in order to get the rings to seal well. Otherwise you'll have blowby problems.

e240
19-06-2006, 01:36 PM
Just wondering, with a freshly built engine, with a few mods on it, what do I do about tuning it?
Should it be tuned only to roughly 5000rpm and not on WOT until I put some km on it, or just get it tuned from the beginning?

I believe in the "Run it in hard and it will go hard" - Recently had my B16A rebuilt. New pistons, rings etc. Ran it in hard right from the start, redlined and all. Not only that, ran it in on Mobil 1 5w-50.

Almost stock engine with cam gears, I/H/E, it gave 100kw ATW with 210nm torque. Almost 20,000km down the road and it still has around 220psi compression per cylinder.

spetz
19-06-2006, 02:45 PM
The engine is a 6A12 MIVEC from an FTO

And, the block has been o-ringed (sleeved?) and new piston rings etc are in

I in a way believe in the run it in hard theory too, because I read a bit about it but it still is a hard thing to believe after being brainwashed to run in cars slowly

How much compression does an engine usually lose at 20,000km?

So I guess then it's established that the car should be tuned. Now, what kind of a tune? To what RPM and up to what throttle position?

And should it be a safe tune, or the proper tune the engine will keep?

e240
19-06-2006, 03:20 PM
How much compression does an engine usually lose at 20,000km?

It shouldn't, but its an example to show that the engine is holding up strong inspite of being run in hard and on fully synthetic oil.

You really should speak to your tuner (or a reputed tuner) with regards to the tune on running in.

My own experience when running in on a Dyno is to do 3 sets of 3 pulls,
with the final set culminating in redlining. When done on 2 Yamaha R6 race bikes, you actually "see" the rings bedding in, resulting in very good HP increases. Try getting 110hp ATW for a 600cc engine. Those 2 bikes have lasted a couple of race seasons without breaking down ever or requiring a rebuilt.

When I visited the Ducati factory in Bologna, they basically took every bike off the factory floor, put it on a Dyno and Redline them right from the start.

Weq
19-06-2006, 04:53 PM
go by the guidelines ur engine builder specifies. It sounds like ur engine should be fine on a stock ecu so no need to tune.

bOoStn
22-06-2006, 07:29 PM
Personally, I give new motors a hard time. I find you get better performance out of them in the long run.. but thats my own personal opinion.

spacemaster
23-06-2006, 09:01 AM
If you trust your mechanic to build the engine, then go with what he say.

foowoei69
05-08-2006, 07:49 AM
alittle running is always a good idea.. during the run in u can still redline everyso often... that should be cool... just not constantly..
but if u got forgies and stuff... just go for gold... hammer away!!!

jimmeh
05-08-2006, 09:33 AM
if its built properly then run it in hard.