PDA

View Full Version : A/F Ratio Diagram

MrPlow
06-05-2004, 10:38 AM
anyone have or know where i can find a diagram explaining how to connect /setup a air/fuel ration gauge to a ek vti-r?

thanks!

fueltank
06-05-2004, 11:12 AM
to be accurate you'd want a wideband lamda (sp?) sensor, I think you can use a wideband with the jaycar AFR display kit?

the widebands start from around $300+ I think.

and to be fairly accurate, best to have the sensor where the exhaust runners all meet up.

poid
06-05-2004, 11:38 AM
the Jaycar kit is only for the stock narrowband as far as i know, since a wideband O2 sensor needs a controller to interpret the signal. The sensors themselves can be had cheaply enough, but the controllers are the expensive bit.

As for the gauge itself, they should come with instructions. But its just a case of hooking up the O2 sensor signal wire

MrPlow
06-05-2004, 11:45 AM
I already have the a/f gauge, its the auto metre one, but i brought it from here so its just as is, without instrustions!

if i take it to an auto electrician will he know exactly what to do?

cause its gotta hook up witht he 02 sensor and the ecu yeh?

poid
06-05-2004, 11:53 AM
some of them will know and others wont. What wires does it have coming from it (how many and what colour?) and what year is your car?

TODA AU
06-05-2004, 12:13 PM
to be accurate you'd want a wideband lamda (sp?) sensor, I think you can use a wideband with the jaycar AFR display kit?

and to be fairly accurate, best to have the sensor where the exhaust runners all meet up.

Damn...
I paid like $1700 for my MOTEC PLM...
I think I've been had... (LOL) ;)

poid
06-05-2004, 12:31 PM
there are cheaper kits around that are accurate as well, for example the Techedge kit which is around $410 unassembled ;)

fueltank
06-05-2004, 01:33 PM

Damn...

maybe you have adrian :shock:
http://www.techedge.com.au/

MrPlow
06-05-2004, 04:07 PM
okay the gauge is going on my 96 ek vti-r

the wires coming from the gauge are Black, Red and Purple!

fueltank
06-05-2004, 04:12 PM
I think Rocket are the distributors for AutoMeter, try giving them a call and see if you can buy a install manual or if they'd fax it over to you.

EDIT: this what you're after?
http://hp.autometer.com/instruction_download/instructions/837j.pdf

poid
06-05-2004, 04:20 PM
In that case black goes to ground, red goes to power that is switched on when the key is turned to accessories and purple is the signal from the O2 sensor.

Oh and those instructions show the same wiring

MrPlow
06-05-2004, 04:38 PM
thanks a million guys!

fueltank: Your a champ, thats exactly what i needed!

TODA AU
06-05-2004, 07:12 PM

Damn...

maybe you have adrian :shock:
http://www.techedge.com.au/

LOL...
Not at all...
You really do get what you pay for here...
ha ha ha...

fueltank
06-05-2004, 07:26 PM
does the motec use a bosch O2 sensor?

TODA AU
06-05-2004, 10:54 PM
You can configure the PLM to use any...
I use an UAGO sensor...
Other guys I know use the Bosch LSU (6 wire)
The 4 wire bosch sensor is a bit old these days...
You could use it if you wanted to but it's a bit slow & tends to stuff out pretty quickly...
I usually get around 3~350 hours out of a UAGO before it's a bit inacurate...
The LSU, I've got upto 300...
Hense the switch to the UAGO...
NTT & Nikke are also exellent sensors...

poid
07-05-2004, 08:12 AM
LOL...
Not at all...
You really do get what you pay for here...
ha ha ha...

Yeh, you get a nice wideband for very little money which is extremely accurate ;)