PDA

View Full Version : Ipod work with civic06?

MKI4EVA
20-06-2006, 10:39 AM
Hey guys, I'm not a gadget guru so can someone tell me if I can hook up an ipod to the 06civic?

JaCe
20-06-2006, 03:24 PM
Depends how 'hooked up' you want.

If you just wanna hear your iPod music you could either use FM transmitter, or an AUX input. My dealer told me it costs $400 (from memory?) for them to install it through the cigarette lighter so it just plugs into the top of your iPod like a headphones/speakers cable.

If you want it to be controlled by the deck, I don't think anything exists yet which lets you do it with the factory deck?

I heard in America there's an iPod kit where it even puts audio readouts using Text2Speech on your iPod for the songs but that's really messy IMO.

MKI4EVA
20-06-2006, 10:07 PM
wow your informed!........thanks mate.

EuroDude
20-06-2006, 10:16 PM
If you want to control the ipod using the stock honda deck and the steering wheel controls, get an IceLink Plus. It plugs into the CD Changer connector on the bottom of the Honda deck.

Got one in my euro and it works great.
http://www.dension.com/icelink_info.htm

You can buy them at www.thecarkitcompany.com.au for about $245

I'm pretty sure they work on the new Civics - I believe all the new Honda's have the same interface now, but double check just in case.

JaCe
20-06-2006, 10:34 PM
I didn't know the Icelink one worked in the Civic! I heard about it for the Mini Cooper though.

Update: According to http://www.dension.com/oem1.php , it's listed as compatible for the 2002 Civic. It also claims to have a Pioneer HU but I distinctly remember both my dealer and various posters on the Singapore FD1 claiming that the OEM unit in the new Civics is Alpine.

MKI4EVA
24-06-2006, 07:13 AM
anyhow know how much the radio recievers cost? are they any good?

BRU51N
24-06-2006, 01:35 PM
anyhow know how much the radio recievers cost? are they any good?

hey bro!

eBay it for about AU$15-20 shipped to your door!
not too sure if its clear/good or not, but i know they do work

JaCe
24-06-2006, 02:02 PM
hey bro!

eBay it for about AU$15-20 shipped to your door!
not too sure if its clear/good or not, but i know they do work

Watch out. I bought one off eBay and it sucks majorly.

For one, there are only 4 frequencies to pick from and then you have to tune it to get it to work.

... but the thing which really ****s me is if it's not held at the right angle it has distortion, and depending on how you hold it or where you leave it sitting, it can also have problems. This becomes a real issue when you have to manually tune it!

What a waste of $25 (incl. p&h).

It's also white, quite cheap looking, and horrendously ugly. I should've spent $50 or so like my friends and buy a proper brand one (eg. Belkin?) which seem to work really well.

aimre
26-06-2006, 12:20 AM
i had a generic FM transmitter from dick smith, worked a charm, and my mate in the car infront could tune into it too.

marvo
27-06-2006, 11:47 AM
It depends on what sound quality you are after, there are many pros and cons to specific methods

here are some methods :
1. Cassette adaptor. Plug in into the pod, and just play the cassette. Sound quality is okay, and it's cheap. Probably 10-15 dollars.
2. FM Transmitters . I personally don't like them, as you won't get good sound quality. Plus sometimes, static is a pain. Some transmitters drain your pod's battery life like crazy. You can get the transmitter cum charger these days, so that's not really a problem. There are many transmitters out there, with a price range of 20-70 dollars. You can get cheap ones on ebay, but their reliability is a concern. Good brands I know of are belkin, airplay, and itrip from griffin.
3. Get a headunit with aux input, or line in. I think there are some sony models with front aux in are going on sale for about 119 bux right now. Sound quality from this would be the best I would say from the previous options. Just link up the pod and the HU , and voila!

I guess it would ultimately depend on your budget and the sound quality which you prefer. Or you could go for more expensive options, :)
hope this helps!

JaCe
21-06-2007, 10:59 AM
Just thought I'd bump this old thread...

Ended up getting the Ice Link Plus R3 for my Civic off eBay. Including installation and all < $200.

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68964

aaronng
21-06-2007, 11:03 AM
Why do you want to use your iPod on your 06 Civic? Just burn your MP3s on a CD and play it. Your player supports MP3s.

JaCe
22-06-2007, 12:26 AM
It's a pain in the ass to keep burning CDs everytime you want to add something. For me, I also found that when I burn CDs, it's usually the complete album and I use the knob on the left to change folders per album. With the iPod however, I tend to have playlists with songs from all over the place and this way I can change the order of the songs very easily on iTunes.

aaronng
22-06-2007, 12:31 AM
It's a pain in the ass to keep burning CDs everytime you want to add something. For me, I also found that when I burn CDs, it's usually the complete album and I use the knob on the left to change folders per album. With the iPod however, I tend to have playlists with songs from all over the place and this way I can change the order of the songs very easily on iTunes.

Doesn't the VTi-L come with a 6 stacker? Just burn the discs when fill. Fill up the stacker as you go. Each disc can hold about 8-9 hours worth of music. That's more than enough. 2 discs can keep you happy all the way up to the Gold coast and back.

JaCe
22-06-2007, 12:34 AM
I'm very picky.. I change my CDs quite often and surprisingly, that 6 stacker doesn't seem to always feel right. More importantly though, my iPod has playlists which I can tailor quite easily.

Haven't you ever had a CD of good tracks but then wanted to add ONE more song right at the start? That's why I like playlists.

Also, planning to hook it up to an LCD so I can use my iPod for watching MVs.

ryanc
22-06-2007, 07:46 PM
watchin mv's lol isnt that a bit of overkill

ur driving man... what a distraction!

aussiebuddha
24-06-2007, 09:08 PM
for the record.

1) I did quite some research on the adaptors that fit our 8th civic, and none of them (including the honda one) seem to be good quality.

All of them have a truckload of problems, so theyre not worth it.

2) Cassete adaptor (wheres the cassette in the 8th civic? :-p )

3) FM transmitter is VERY bad quality and has lots of noise no matter how good ur fm transmitter is

4) Replace the HU with one with aux in and or ipod control
best solution but you'll need to buy the dash replacement which is VERY hard to find (i'm looking to get one at the moment)

5) What i'm running at the moment is
civic radio has an aux in, but its in the back of the radio and there are no harnesses.
If you can find somewhow the factory harness, it'd be great
I built my own adaptor, so i had aux in. tough work but it pays off.